Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,701,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
My cousin works at a tax place and he tels me folks with big money seem to always be more bitter when they find out they have to pay more. Not aure what the proportion is. But is jt really crippling?
Fairness and all that aside, I get why they are bitter, but it stings to hear rich people being "bitter" when the taxes they pay aren't eating into what a family can put on the table, or whether they can afford to send their kid to a particular school or if they can afford to fix the roof this year.

I don't know where I sit in the "income ladder" but I'm probably in that upper 10-20%. I initially wasn't in that echelon. Taxes hurt. And they hurt a lot. An increase to taxes would result in having to make hard choices. Little Johnny doesn't get to play baseball this year. Or I guess we can't replace the windows yet.

As I earned more money, there was more discretionary income. The year that they rolled back the Social Security tax to the normal levels, it hurt. But not the same way. That year it was "I guess no vacation this year." Even as someone that isn't in that top 1%, it sounds petty to complain about "no vacation" or "I guess I keep my car another year before replacing it with the new model" when other people have little-to-no discretionary income.

But like what the OP is talking about, likely people far more wealthy than I am, it probably means "We can't hire a captain for our yacht for the whole year" or "I guess we aren't buying that house in the Swiss Alps." Sure, the well-to-dos can be bitter, but don't let us regular folks hear about it. Complain about taxes in your country clubs when the wait staff isn't within earshot.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:53 AM

19,651 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Paws off my person.

I made some wise investments plus I have a six figure job that I worked very hard to get where I am. So why do people think they have the right to be a parasite off of me? Or others?
You are part of a society. You can take your money and live in some wild, lawless place by yourself and see how well you fare. A lot of people work hard and do not get rich. Maybe you are not that special?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't blame the wealthy for complaining, they just shouldn't do it to people who actually suffer from paying taxes. Sometimes wealthy people think lower income people don't pay any taxes but some people have no deductions and they certainly do pay.

My friend IS low income for the area but she didn't even qualify for a small (low and moderate income) credit, so 33K exceeds low or moderate income? It must be high income then.

There is an ugly point of income which is just above qualifying for benefits, credits, nothing, yet get hit with thousands of taxes they cannot afford. They have to give up essentials. So, I have a hard time feeling too sorry for rich people complaining about taxes.
What's your friend's effective federal income tax rate?

Old 04-17-2018, 07:55 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
what person wouldn't be mad at seeing their taxes go up?
An idiot.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:57 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
My cousin works at a tax place and he tels me folks with big money seem to always be more bitter when they find out they have to pay more. Not aure what the proportion is. But is jt really crippling?
One anecdotal "I hate people with more money than me" story does not make it a trend.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:09 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
So what? EVERYONE has the right to gripe about income taxes. In an ideal world, there would be no income (or property) taxes at all and everyone would just pay for whatever government services they use. Like all parents would pay for their childrens education. And drivers would pay per mile driven to support road maintenance. Enough with the freebies.

And... about the griping, that's how the high income earners accumulate their wealth. They watch their pennies and they budget.

Unlike the big lottery winners who tend to go bankrupt after a few years of big money, and then their life implodes.

More people should gripe about being taxed.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:09 AM

19,651 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's your friend's effective federal income tax rate?
I guess 15%.? Thousands of dollars for a low income person to pay yet many people making more actually get money back.

This is actually a single, childless tax.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Paws off my person.

I made some wise investments plus I have a six figure job that I worked very hard to get where I am. So why do people think they have the right to be a parasite off of me? Or others?
The idea that 'taxes are about you' is such an egotistical argument.

Nobody cares about you enough to "parasite off" your job and your miniature airplanes.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:28 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I guess 15%? Thousands of dollars for a low income person to pay yet many people making more actually get money back.
Not possible. I plugged the info you gave ($33,000) for a single person, no dependents, into a tax calculator with NO deductions for anything whatsoever, and the federal income tax rate was less than 10%.

I honestly think a lot of people have NO idea how little they actually pay.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:32 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,288,966 times
In my opinion it's relative, and those who complain about the complainers are hypocrites.

Do I get feelings of jealousy knowing that I struggle to go out to eat sometimes, yet someone with money can spend hundreds on dinner for two and not even blink an eyelash? Sure I do.

No one likes taxes, rich or not. And when a tax bill comes in, it's their cash flow that's affected. I look at my cash flow and realize there are "rich" people that simply add zeros at the end of the dollar value of their cash flows. So be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies