Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2018, 09:07 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
That's right, She's 'Merican, needs to wear an 'merican dress- something with the 'merican flag, perhaps?

Re-read my post for a better understanding if that's possible for you. There are many Chinese-Americans. I would have no problem with them wearing their traditional clothes. This girl is not of Chinese descent. Maybe she should have worn a dress that would indicate her own ancestral heritage it would have made a lot more sense.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I trust the media 0% now and am willing to be 50 bucks that like 3 people complained or said anything and it blew up into fake controversy.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I am sure you don't even know how racist what you just said was.

WTH was racist about it? Is that all you liberals have are the race card? It's getting old!

Old 05-04-2018, 09:18 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
I sure hope nobody celebrates Cinco de Mayo this weekend.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:24 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Re-read my post for a better understanding if that's possible for you. There are many Chinese-Americans. I would have no problem with them wearing their traditional clothes. This girl is not of Chinese descent. Maybe she should have worn a dress that would indicate her own ancestral heritage it would have made a lot more sense.
I don't think "The GAP" sells prom dresses.

Why does her prom dress need to make sense?

Old 05-04-2018, 09:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:

Maybe it has sentimental meaning for her.
Maybe it was something she purchased on a trip because she thought it was beautiful.
Maybe she's always felt some connection to Asian culture.

Why does this have to make sense? People are influenced by fashion of all time periods all over the world. It's not offensive to admire something so much that you decide to wear it.

What is truly offensive is the notion that anything from a specific culture is owned by people of that culture and cannot be used, worn, adapted by anyone else.

This is yet another example of loons on the left getting offended on behalf of someone else, simply because this kind of b.s. makes them feel superior. It's insanity.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:48 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Issues around social conflict and their effect on human relationships are not real? I beg to differ. You may not personally value the academic discipline of sociology, but that doesn't render it meaningless.
Of course. But that doesn't mean every dissertation has merit.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,790 times
Quote:
There are many Chinese-Americans.
There are far more Chinese Chinese. They don't have a problem with the white girl wearing a qipao.

Quote:
I would have no problem with [Chinese-Americans] wearing their traditional clothes.
Do you have a problem with Chinese-Americans wearing western attire?

The Chinese Chinese don't have a problem wearing western attire. Does that not make sense to you?

Quote:
This girl is not of Chinese descent. Maybe she should have worn a dress that would indicate her own ancestral heritage it would have made a lot more sense.
More sense?

What does that even mean?

My Chinese Chinese wife often gifted my Western mother and sister Chinese clothing and outerwear.

The Chinese all over the Sinosphere sell Chinese attire to foreign women (and men).

If foreign people wearing Chinese attire does not bother the Chinese Chinese, why should it bother you?

I showed several of my Chinese Chinese colleagues this story today and they were all incredulous that anyone would object to the white girl wearing the qipao.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Isn't this precisely what the left has been saying all along about her and the dress anyways? Cultural appropriation?

Old 05-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you might want to pursue my posts. calling me a liberal just offended this forums liberals.

LOL.
stop conflating conservatism with your racism.

Reported. You can't call me a racist for no reason whatsoever. It's usually liberals that back these kinds of things shoving diversity down our throats. I said if this girl were Chinese then I'd understand it so where's the racism?

Last edited by Oldglory; 05-04-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies