Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
White privilege? Seems like white restriction based on the targets of cultural appropriation.
[irony]White people need to be restricted due to their privilege.[/irony]

Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What if the woman wearing the dress had apologized to the woman who was offended, and the dialogue around whether the wearing of the dress remained the same? Wouldn't that take into account the perspectives of those who were offended and those who were not? As it is, those who were offended were, to some degree silenced or bullied by social media mobbing.

Wouldn't an acknowledgement of traditional views, while opening the dialogue about cultural appropriation, be healthier and more constructive?
Why does she needs to apologize? So this woman felt offended. So what? A reasonable person will not feel offended from this dress.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:26 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Isn't it more important to have a respectful conversation that acknowledges diverse perspectives? This strikes me as a quick, unthoughtful adoption of one or another extreme view where there is no middle ground. When did that become the best approach to different points of view?
Isn’t it more important for you to realize that the only people triggered by this ridiculous issue are mentally unbalanced Americans?

The Chinese think this whole thing is ridiculous.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What offends you about listening to others, discussing diverse viewpoints, acknowledging viewpoints that differ from yours, and happily co-existing without judging and criticizing views that differ?
The point is that I'm offended, and therefore you need to apologize, right?

You just finished writing that the girl should apologize for wearing the dress simply because someone was offended.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:33 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Dont be too sensitive.

I think it's funny that you mentioned being mildly annoyed by bagpipes, because of your Scottish ancestry, when they culturally appropriated it to begin with.

Which goes to show how fundamentally flawed cultural appropriation arguments are. We always mesh/take new ideas from others, all people, everywhere. And we teach globalism, diversity, and multicultural societies....which guarantees even more meshing of cultures.
I've already addressed the bagpipe thing. *Shrug* You might not be able to identify with my mild annoyance -- which you're making a much bigger deal of than I ever have -- if you're an American of many generations.

It mildly annoys me because the subtext of any cultural discussion in the US or Canada is often that people of European (and particularly British) descent are somehow more "racist" and "culturally ignorant" than is anyone else. European ancestry -- deconstructed to the homogenous "white" check box in the US -- is often demonized. That is, until such time that some aspect of European heritage gets pulled out for a festivity or official event, and then, suddenly, it's celebrated.

Again, that's just an observation. Reread my posts. Then reread your post to me. I'm not the one who sounds "too sensitive."

Old 05-03-2018, 08:33 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Why would a white girl wear a Chinese dress to a U.S. high school prom? Seems like she is just another student brain washed by liberals making a political statement based on the so-called greatness of diversity. If she were a Chinese student I'd understand it and wouldn't have a problem with it but this....?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why would a white girl wear a Chinese dress to a U.S. high school prom? Seems like she is just another student brain washed by liberals making a political statement based on the so-called greatness of diversity. If she were a Chinese student I'd understand it and wouldn't have a problem with it but this....?
And here we are ^^^ with a whole nuther version of "I'm offended".

Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
White girls shouldn't be wearing Chinese dresses. Guess this is one issue that old school race guys and far left progressives can agree on.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And here we are ^^^ with a whole nuther version of "I'm offended".

I simply asked a question and offered my viewpoints on this. Where did I say I was personally offended?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:44 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
What if the woman wearing the dress had apologized to the woman who was offended, and the dialogue around whether the wearing of the dress remained the same? Wouldn't that take into account the perspectives of those who were offended and those who were not? As it is, those who were offended were, to some degree silenced or bullied by social media mobbing.

Wouldn't an acknowledgement of traditional views, while opening the dialogue about cultural appropriation, be healthier and more constructive?
As I understand it, the first person to express offense at the young woman's clothing choice was a man. Should she have apologized to him? And if so, for what?

The fact is, pretty much anything that anyone ever does carries the potential to offend someone else. If someone is deliberately seeking to offend someone, and is called out for it, an apology is appropriate. But beyond that, one cannot be responsible for others taking offense at one's own life choices.

As a white male heterosexual conservative Republican Christian American, my very existence is a veritable walking catalogue of offensiveness to a wide subset of the world's population. I have no intention of apologizing for any of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies