Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Well, the issue really isn't simply the allegation that the girl wore something inappropriate (I love the dress). Rather, the issue is why some believe the dress was inappropriate.

In this case, the accusation, is the moronic charge of cultural appropriation.

The rush is not only to defend her. The rush is to ridicule the absurdly moronic concept of cultural appropriation.

Not actually.

I can quite easily tell you that virtually no Chinese person is offended by the white girl wearing the Chinese dress. I can say that with a good deal of certainty, as I have lived in the Sinosphere for more than 30 years and the Chinese sell these dresses to non-Chinese women all the time.

Opinions are free. We can all have one or several. But, not all opinions are equal. Some are so disassociated from fact and devoid of logic that they deserve to be ridiculed.

How so?

And what is cultural appropriation?

And who makes the cultural appropriation rules?

Would I be rude to tell all the Chinese girls in Asia to stop wearing Western style wedding gowns to their marriage ceremonies and receptions? Would it be rude of me to tell Chinese and Japanese couples to stop flying to Guam (or anywhere in China and Japan) for fake Christian wedding ceremonies, with fake priests and pastors?

Should Chinese, Indian, and African people stop wearing Western attire?

Surely you see the folly?

I only respect informed and fact-based opinions.
I respect all opinions about stuff like this. The whole notion of CA is a "soft" sort of social construct. There are no specific rules because they vary according to the population you're addressing at any given time.

Now, I really do not think this was a case of CA myself.

I think of CA as a bit more extreme, like people taking sacred items (Native American headdresses, for example) and using those specific types of sacred items in a way that's inappropriate and disrespectful to Native Americans.

Another is getting tattoos that are symbolic to a group of people... Samoans may be a good example here, and just getting them for fun or getting disambiguations of them, not taking time to think about whether it might be seen as disrespectful.

Incidentally, taking a Scotsman's family tartan and using it in a way that would be offensive would probably also fall into that category.

It's not just a thing that white people do to people of color.

I don't think of everyday clothing being worn by pretty much anybody as "cultural appropriation."

One of the areas I see this get brought up a lot is with hair.

It's not really CA in the cases I see, but it gets labeled that way.

Example: White woman wears her hair in cornrows and it is declared "cute" and she's allowed to wear it to work that way and nary a word is said. Black woman at the same company in a similar role wears cornrows to work and is told to change her hair because it is not business appropriate.

I see this as discrimination not appropriation. And discrimination sucks. The reality, though, is that the more people who wear a given article of clothing or hairstyle, the more likely it becomes a common thing and acceptable in more places.

So, I really do not disagree with your take on this as much as you might think. I am just big on letting people have their own opinions about stuff that's not hard science or the like.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
So some random teen age girl living in Utah posts her prom pictures. No hashtag so the only people that would have seen the original post are people she has following her. Even if you have a 'public' twitter account -- when you post it just doesn't randomly pop up on someone's feed. They have to be following or someone shared.

The guy credited with the first objection to her dress is the only tweet I've seen that criticized her wearing it.

But somehow it comes out that she is being attacked........

Seems she has more support than attacks.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:51 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,129,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I
Example: White woman wears her hair in cornrows and it is declared "cute" and she's allowed to wear it to work that way and nary a word is said. Black woman at the same company in a similar role wears cornrows to work and is told to change her hair because it is not business appropriate.
When and where did this such "example" happen?

Old 05-02-2018, 12:38 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
not even actual Chinese people are offended by this - just LWNJs.

Chinese dress at US prom wins support in China after internet backlash | South China Morning Post

Old 05-02-2018, 12:45 PM

28,901 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So some random teen age girl living in Utah posts her prom pictures. No hashtag so the only people that would have seen the original post are people she has following her. Even if you have a 'public' twitter account -- when you post it just doesn't randomly pop up on someone's feed. They have to be following or someone shared.

The guy credited with the first objection to her dress is the only tweet I've seen that criticized her wearing it.

But somehow it comes out that she is being attacked........

Seems she has more support than attacks.
me thinks whoever reported this was having a very slow day....

again, she looks positively beautiful....

Old 05-02-2018, 01:44 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sooo stupid, I think the dress looks cool.

Glad she's not kowtowing to the idiocy.
Me too!

Old 05-02-2018, 01:49 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,530,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Sooo stupid, I think the dress looks cool.

Glad she's not kowtowing to the idiocy.
<>
Interesting word choice there:
DEFINE: kowtow
historical
kneel and touch the ground with the forehead in worship or submission as part of Chinese custom.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:45 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,234,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Have you paid even the slightest bit of attention to how many liberals have said this whole kerfuffle is absurd?
agreed! i hate how some are making this a "liberal" thing or a "left" thing. it's not.

also, i'd just like to say that i love the word kerfuffle.

Old 05-02-2018, 02:53 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This whole little story shouldn't be a thing. It became a thing because some conservatives jumped on it.

There is no law that says liberals now have to prove to conservatives that they think this is issue is a non-issue.

That's so ridiculous.
The was a thread a while back, wear a white college girl was shamed by the libs on campus, for being culturally insensitive by daring to wear hoop earrings.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:06 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
not even actual Chinese people are offended by this - just LWNJs.

Chinese dress at US prom wins support in China after internet backlash | South China Morning Post
Yep. The Chinese are supporting her calling it "cultural appreciation":

Quote:
...those commenting in mainland China were less opposed to Daum’s dress.

“Very elegant and beautiful! Really don’t understand the people who are against her, they are wrong!” one person commented on an article by Wenxue City News. “I suggest the Chinese government, state television or fashion company invite her to China to display her cheongsam!”

“It is not cultural theft,” another wrote. “It is cultural appreciation and cultural respect.”

Weibo users added that Daum looked beautiful and criticised those who have accused her.

“Culture has no borders,” one wrote. “There is no problem, as long as there is no malice or deliberate maligning. Chinese cultural treasures are worth spreading all over the world.”
SJWs have nothing better to do than pretend that other cultures can't speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies