Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 06:43 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Aww man, this means I cant dress up as the Black Panther or Captain America on Halloween without offending white and black folks.

That sucks!
Ditto for me as the great Don Ho.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:07 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yeah I noticed that phenomenon maybe a few years ago and thought it was weird .

Now it seems 80 percent of the news is about “this was posted on Twitter!”

I’m guessing if citydata wasn’t anonymous reporters would be creating new stories from these posts
I know, it’s sad. And it works. Just look at how many people have posted on this thread, myself included. It’s like a train wreck.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:08 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Aww man, this means I cant dress up as the Black Panther or Captain America on Halloween without offending white and black folks.

That sucks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Ditto for me as the great Don Ho.

I watched a clip of Rosanne's interview with Jimmy Kimmel. When he brought up that some people were angry because of her political views on the show, her response was "Well, I don't give a F..k"

This is how I feel about cultural appropriation and people getting their knickers in a bunch over Halloween costumes. Honestly more people should adopt this attitude.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:17 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This whole little story shouldn't be a thing. It became a thing because some conservatives jumped on it.

There is no law that says liberals now have to prove to conservatives that they think this is issue is a non-issue.

That's so ridiculous.
There is a story about this right now on Good Morning America. And I believe the first news article came from Yahoo. How do you get that this is driven by conservatives?

Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I watched a clip of Rosanne's interview with Jimmy Kimmel. When he brought up that some people were angry because of her political views on the show, her response was "Well, I don't give a F..k"

This is how I feel about cultural appropriation and people getting their knickers in a bunch over Halloween costumes. Honestly more people should adopt this attitude.
Very true.

I am a Den leader in our local Cub Scout Pack. Another leader recently got divorced and remarried. Now he is always raising the subject of Cultural Appropriation because his part Native American wife is enlightening him. Rants about it constantly.

It was painful and I mean painful to point out that the Boy Scouts use a plethora of Native American themes, motifs, and symbols starting with the word, "Scout." Since he was an Eagle Scout and was now doing Scouting with his kids, was he not a major perpetrator?

He looked broken when I asked this and may need a shrink to sort it all out.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:21 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,014,195 times
After criticism of student Keziah Daum’s Twitter post showing her wearing the traditional qipao, Chinese commenters call it cultural appreciation, not appropriation

Chinese dress at US prom wins support in China after internet backlash | South China Morning Post

Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 AM

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times
We need better things to be offended about. Maybe our society is too well adjusted if we have to fight about piddly crap like these issues.
I can't say I miss the golden age of social unrest of a few decades back, but it had real fights like racism, sexism, environmental causes, poverty and war. Now we're just going through the motions.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:23 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Very true.

I am a Den leader in our local Cub Scout Pack. Another leader recently got divorced and remarried. Now he is always raising the subject of Cultural Appropriation because his part Native American wife is enlightening him. Rants about it constantly.

It was painful and I mean painful to point out that the Boy Scouts use a plethora of Native American themes, motifs, and symbols starting with the word, "Scout." Since he was an Eagle Scout and was now doing Scouting with his kids, was he not a major perpetrator?

He looked broken when I asked this and may need a shrink to sort it all out.
Good for you! As I said before, it is an attempt by people, often pathetic, that want to feel morally superior. I hope he, and others get the help they need.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:53 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Strongly think there are way too many people in this world who love to make a mountain out of nothing, nothing at all....and feed off of negative gossip. The young lady looks beautiful in that dress....

Old 05-02-2018, 07:56 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Strongly think there are way too many people in this world who love to make a mountain out of nothing, nothing at all....and feed off of negative gossip. The young lady looks beautiful in that dress....
YES -- and make it about something way bigger than it is.

First - -this is absolutely positive not a left or right issue.

It has always bothered some folks -- some Indians, some Chinese, when someone wear their cultural garb or make their food.

Second, social media meant a few people fussed -- only people following her would have seen her tweet. But then SOMEBODY decided it was a cause to take up and started sharing with the likes of Ben Shapiro who then made it all about the left.

Third, we then spend how many pages talking about it.

Of course it is silly for someone to get upset about her wearing the dress.
Of course it is silly for someone to get upset about folks getting upset.

And then there are those of us getting upset about those getting upset over those getting upset.

Mole hill to mountain in days with this here internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies