Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2018, 08:01 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,846,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Hopefully you realize I was being ironic? No, I don't think Scots and Irishmen should start complaining about appropriation and campaign to be included in the global victim class.
Yes, I did. Did you realize that I was being ironic? Chill. Y'all are so uptight!

Old 05-03-2018, 08:05 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What if the woman wearing the dress had apologized to the woman who was offended, and the dialogue around whether the wearing of the dress remained the same? Wouldn't that take into account the perspectives of those who were offended and those who were not? As it is, those who were offended were, to some degree silenced or bullied by social media mobbing.

Wouldn't an acknowledgement of traditional views, while opening the dialogue about cultural appropriation, be healthier and more constructive?
well those who were offended need to get a real life, sorry, but that isn't being a bully, that's fact. If they allow themselves to be offended over such a little thing, they are looking for things to bi--- about....

The girls looks absolutely stunning in that dress....go watch how some people dress in walmart....
talk about cultural shock?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,716,278 times
The social justice warriors don't realize how idiotic and racist they are. They're pretty much saying only Chinese people can wear dresses and actually reinforcing racist stereotypes.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Sadly, Ms. Daum is reaping the bitter fruit of the culture movement that many in the US have cultivated for just this reason: to divide people.
Actually, the reason is to demonize white people, at least those who aren't part of the cult that believes in cultural appropriation, white privilege, institutional racism, unconscious bias, micro aggressions, etc., etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:08 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,584,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Resentment at cultural appropriation isn't born in us. It has to be taught.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/w...rom-dress.html

"Teenager’s Prom Dress Stirs Furor in U.S. — but Not in China"

"When the furor reached Asia, though, many seemed to be scratching their heads. Far from being critical of Ms. Daum, who is not Chinese, many people in mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan proclaimed her choice of the traditional high-necked dress as a victory for Chinese culture."

Sadly, Ms. Daum is reaping the bitter fruit of the culture movement that many in the US have cultivated for just this reason: to divide people.
This yearning to be offended is odd, indeed. Reminds me of all the offense taken in the West by some when the word "oriental" is used to describe something/someone from the East.

As if the word "oriental" is somehow derogatory? Is "west" also a derogatory word?

I am always amused, as for years the people from East Asia have been using the word to describe themselves and where they live.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well those who were offended need to get a real life, sorry, but that isn't being a bully, that's fact. If they allow themselves to be offended over such a little thing, they are looking for things to bi--- about....

The girls looks absolutely stunning in that dress....go watch how some people dress in walmart....
talk about cultural shock?
Isn't it more important to have a respectful conversation that acknowledges diverse perspectives? This strikes me as a quick, unthoughtful adoption of one or another extreme view where there is no middle ground. When did that become the best approach to different points of view?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:14 AM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Um, ok. Now, chill already. Not sure what your problem is. Did you get on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Oh, and good Google researching, because I can guess you didn't know the history of bagpipes before now.

I'm not contradicting anything. Unlike many on CD, I'm not an ideologue. I am almost always able to see both sides of any argument.

As for "cultural appropriation," yes, it has been a thing forever. Yep, bagpipes have been common throughout Europe and the Middle East for a millennia. But at the funerals of fallen police officers in the US, for example, the pipers wear the traditional costume of Irish/Scottish bagpipers.

In young, immigrant countries like US and Canada, the cultures of every dominant "founding" country/continent - First Nations, Spain, Netherlands, Africa, France, Scotland, England, Ireland - have always been "appropriated". By everyone.

Indeed, the "appropriation" has been reinforced to the extent that aspects of those cultures are now so ubiquitous, they are simply interpreted as being "American." English and Scottish names, for example, are considered "American names." That's a simple observation.

To answer your question: yes, we all are simply living in a multicultural world where ideas and concepts are freely exchanged globally. That's my point.But, clearly, you are offended. And what does your camp call anyone who becomes offended?
Dont be too sensitive.

I think it's funny that you mentioned being mildly annoyed by bagpipes, because of your Scottish ancestry, when they culturally appropriated it to begin with.

Which goes to show how fundamentally flawed cultural appropriation arguments are. We always mesh/take new ideas from others, all people, everywhere. And we teach globalism, diversity, and multicultural societies....which guarantees even more meshing of cultures.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:17 AM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Actually, the reason is to demonize white people, at least those who aren't part of the cult that believes in cultural appropriation, white privilege, institutional racism, unconscious bias, micro aggressions, etc., etc.
White privilege? Seems like white restriction based on the targets of cultural appropriation.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:20 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
What if the woman wearing the dress had apologized to the woman who was offended, and the dialogue around whether the wearing of the dress remained the same? Wouldn't that take into account the perspectives of those who were offended and those who were not? As it is, those who were offended were, to some degree silenced or bullied by social media mobbing.

Wouldn't an acknowledgement of traditional views, while opening the dialogue about cultural appropriation, be healthier and more constructive?
Your post offends me. It would be healthier and more constructive if you apologized before continuing to posts in this thread.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:22 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Your post offends me. It would be healthier and more constructive if you apologized before continuing to posts in this thread.
What offends you about listening to others, discussing diverse viewpoints, acknowledging viewpoints that differ from yours, and happily co-existing without judging and criticizing views that differ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies