Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 02:01 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Are you denying that he had been speaking about God during the last couple of years?
will you deny that Obama sang Amazing Grace at the funerals of those people killed in a church?

the cheeto probably doesn't even know the words and he certainly doesn't have the empathy to care.

that's one of the differences between a REAL Christian and one who just spouts off what he thinks his base wants to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4q8x5fR4Sw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
They used to be afraid to say Merry Christmas for years. I noticed that changed this past Christmas.
ahhh. the mysterious "they"!

Old 05-03-2018, 02:04 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Who is afraid to say they support American or believe in God? When has that literally ever been the case? I feel like every Trump supporter is on bath salts or something, because otherwise I don't understand what reality they're seeing that no one else does.
Conservatives sure weren't afraid to call Obama the anti-christ. They were doing so almost until the end of his second term.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,468,776 times
He didn’t claim he invented it but that people feel they can say it more now

Like “Merry Christmas “

But nice try to spin it ..

Old 05-03-2018, 02:07 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,622,240 times
They used to be afraid to say Merry Christmas for years. I noticed that changed this past Christmas.

This is definitely a Limbaugh talking point.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:08 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Ok, so how would you go about actually proving that there are more people using that phrase now than before, and not only that, but that Trump himself is the direct cause?

You couldn't. Which makes it a misleading claim at best, if not another outright, self-congratulatory lie.

Furthermore, the phrase isn't even original to the nation's origins, and only came about during the communist scare. I'm not even sure why people think the phrase, which is entirely based in paranoia about a nonexistent threat, is something that needs to really be used more often.
Of course Trump's assertion is ridiculous and egotistical, but that is a separate issue from the OP's misleading thread title, which Oldglory succinctly summarizes.

The only issue I have with Oldglory's post is the facepalm.

Why? Because I don't believe for a second that the OP is the least bit dense. I think she realizes full well that the thread title is misleading, and just doesn't care. And I say that as non Trump supporter, who didn't vote for him and isn't a Republican.

Even if his election has in some infinitesimal sense made people feel more comfortable expressing how they feel about such matters, any extent would be neigh-on to impossible to truly, objectively quantify....but that doesn't grant the OP a pass to create a misleading thread title and not be called on the misleading nature of the title.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:09 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:
Why were you frightened to say "Merry Christmas" before Donald Trump was elected president? How has he made it less scary for you?

Old 05-03-2018, 02:09 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Trump's claim

Quote:
Then came the riff about “one nation under God”:

And we say it here, ya know? Lot of people, they don’t say it. But, you know what, they’re starting to say it more, just like we’re starting to say ‘Merry Christmas’ when that day comes around. You notice the big difference between now and two or three years ago, it was, all, it was going in the other direction rapidly, right? Now it’s [thrusting his hand vertically in the air] straight up.
The reality is that there is no big difference, not with Merry Christmas and most definitely not with "One Nation Under God" which no one says unless they are reciting the Pledge. So no, Trump gets zero of his pathetically claimed credit for behaviors which have not changed - in the of One Nation Under God - since 1954 when that phrase was added to the Pledge of Allegiance.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:24 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yeah, Trump supporters always find a way to lower they’re already ground floor expectations.

But since it’s apparently so obvious to you, tell us what makes Trump a man of God?
Well, he’s turned a bunch of grown adults into children. If that’s not a miracle I don’t what is.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
When, exactly, where people afraid to say it? It was on all of Obama's Christmas cards. Even I, a liberal atheist, say it, at least when people say it to me. Which has been every single year. No one was arrested for it, as far as I know. So when? And what were the consequences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies