Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Trump a Jerk? (Personality wise)
No, He seems like a real nice guy 42 45.65%
Yes, what a jerk! 50 54.35%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 03:37 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
He is a jerk and I love it.
First honest response on this thread.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:37 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,962,827 times
I'm glad Hillary lost as well. I supported Bernie. But the Obama love fest was mirrored by the Trump love fest. We both got suckered. The president is just a figurehead. The real power is elsewhere. Like I said before, I think the best thing about Trump is nothing is getting done, good or bad. I can live with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I never saw much ass kissing as I did with the liberal media and celebrities, even calling him "the one" and "our lord and savior". No one man is as perfect as you wanted us to believe Obama was and to believe so is how tyrants are able to gain full control of a people. The tingles and love fest was pathetic. We could argue till we're blue in the face though, you'll still think Hillary should have been president. I'm glad she lost and Trump is.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Hatred is sneaky — because it can seem justified. It can be instantaneous or build slowly through self-interest, deception, pride, jealousy and sometimes, one’s own guilt and fear.

It was hatred that caused the murders and tortures that occurred in concentration camps. It is hatred that bullies or kills those who believe differently. Indeed, hatred causes blindness.
You just described both of Obama's terms here on City-Data.

And the continual Hillary-bashing threads.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I'm glad Hillary lost as well. I supported Bernie. But the Obama love fest was mirrored by the Trump love fest. We both got suckered. The president is just a figurehead. The real power is elsewhere. Like I said before, I think the best thing about Trump is nothing is getting done, good or bad. I can live with that.
I generally find this tolerable, too. It's the dumbing down of discourse and the "reality TV presidency" that I find so nauseating.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:47 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
this is unfortunately bull. Lots is getting done, like the tax scam that will hurt the middle class, like the piece by piece weakening of the ACA which, while not universal health care is a damn sight better than what we had before, like DACA kids being perched on the precarious edge of deportation, like getting Gorsuch on the Supreme Court, and getting dozens of young white uber conservative men in district court judgeships all over the country. And if you liked Bernie and presumably progressive ideas, well, then you will think that the decisions handed down by these judges will suck, because I guarantee they will be anything but progressive.

But hey, as long as we got to squash down the woman who beat Bernie, who cares if a generation of civil rights and progressive progress in small but real steps gets lost in the process. So much better to not get anything at all and end up moving backwards if you can't get pie in the sky ideas with no actual plans behind them.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:48 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,229,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
First honest response on this thread.
Let me add my 2 cents too, because I realize I never did answer the question. Yes, he is a jerk sometimes. And I'm gonna vote for him again.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
I have a very old acquaintance who I grew up with and have known for over 50 years. She can be charming, very funny, and on rare occasions you might even think she has a heart. She was a drug dealer early in life and used the money she saved from those days to start her own business. A business that caters to a certain element of people who are always wheeling , dealing and conning other people and breaking laws. Over the years she has been involved in many lawsuits, charged but never convicted of heinous crimes. She is the biggest bull____er I have ever known and lives for “the next big game”. Like tRump she is highly hypersensitive to criticism, and vengeful. Still, people play her game, thinking they will come out on top. Every time I hear trump speak, I think of my old friend, I’m sure she loves trump, they sound like the same person. Sadly, she has no true friends and her family knows who she really is. So, like trump, her relationships are bases on power, and the threat of blackmail. A sad life. But every time I hear trump speak I think, she could easily be the next president.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:17 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,288,727 times
Trump is not only a jerk, he is a significantly disordered toxic narcissist/sociopath based on his observable and widely known behaviors (even prior to being shoehorned into the presidency).

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...opathy/491966/

Quote:
According to the DSM, Antisocial Personality Disorder should be diagnosed in a person who meets two criteria about the way they function in the world, and criteria about their personal traits. In the realm of the latter, the person must also demonstrate two other traits: antagonism and disinhibition.

Antagonism can be characterized by hostility, manipulativeness, deceitfulness, or callousness. It’s worth considering these one by one...The other of the two personality traits, disinhibition, is characterized by impulsivity, irresponsibility, and risk taking.
Trump appeals to lots of those who may believe character counts in their children and in their own support system but isn't necessary in their president as long as he entertains them and gives them some of what they want. For some, that is as simple as Trump acting like Moe Howard from the Three Stooges, treating everybody around him as if they are Larry and Curly. A poke in the eye and a rap on the noggin for those done to by Trump and they're amused and happy. Immediate gratification of those baser instincts. Tomorrow is always a day away. No worries. They don't care about or accept Trumpian consequences because they will almost always conveniently project it as someone else's fault. Easy, easy out. But false. Cloaked in delusion or mean-spiritedness.

For many/most non-Trumpers, character does count. It signifies who you are as a person, what you can be counted on for and trusted to do reliably. A person of unstable, dysfunctional character, like Trump, builds (repeatedly) on a foundation of shifting sand. That person without ethics/integrity may build a huge, lovely mansion on such a foundation but there will be undesired, unpredicted, destructive surprises--sooner or later in big ways. You can count on that. Same goes for a presidency. We're seeing the results of that each day. At least non-Trumpers do.

A wise stitch in time saves nine and a knowledgable, thoughtful plan matters if you still expect to be around tomorrow. And a person of decent character to administer them. Nowhere to be found with Trump (or his minions).

Trump is all about ego and self; no conscience. He is about shifting, evading and dodging; the whirlpool of chaos, cacaphony and kakistocracy. A person of character doesn't need such obfuscation and cover. They make better use of their time, energy and intellectual resources than those like Trump dealing with the constant brouhaha and uproar created and swirling in their wake. Takes a kindred idiot to love such an amoral idiot.

Last edited by mollyblythe; 05-04-2018 at 04:47 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Trump's had everything thrown at him but attack dogs. He is still standing despite the Liberals whining and crying for a year and a half that he WON and their dirty Queen bit the dust (aka) LOST! He is not a jerk. He is like your Uncle Joe in the family. Some like him, some don't.
But, nobody wants Uncle Joe to run the country.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:26 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It depends on what the relationship is.

If you are a friend, he is probably OK.

If you are negotiating business, he is probably a pain in the neck.

If you are doing work for him, he is probably very demanding and a pain in the neck.

If you position yourself as an adversary and continually attack him, he is your worst enemy.

The issue is that Trump was generally fine (or at minimum a typical greedy, eccentric business type) for the first 70 years of his life until he positioned himself against the swamp and the propaganda media and the entertainment complex (read elite liberals and swampy GOP types). All of a sudden he's the worst person in America to many. I think it says more about the others. He hasn't changed... others have changed their viewpoint on him. Why is that?

You're right he hasn't changed.
People didn't see him for what he was. They were oblivious or just didn't care. From the first moment I saw him before I even knew who he was he rubbed me the wrong way. I just never talked about it much or cared that much about it because it was easy to ignore him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
There has always been a subsection of society which revels in being cruel, hateful and generally a jerk. They think they are being clever by embracing such ideals and spouting off about them. I'm just glad they are vocal so I can keep my distance.

Life sucks enough. Don't need to include people who think actively being a jerk is awesome around...
Yeah the only person in real life who is allowed to be a jerk that I can think of is Simon Cowell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Not a Trump supporter but being a jerk does not mean bad president. OR a good one.
John Lennon was an abusive ******
Elvis was a child molester
Many of the people in the late 19th century that BUILT THE US INDUSTRY were horrible horrible people.

That does not make them untalented.

Elvis was actually TOO generous of a person. They had a documentary on his life that explained that.
He would give strangers cars dinner etc.
I won't say much about Lennon. I personally find the Beatles overrated but I get that their music meant something to the world.
However being a musician is not the same as being a president. A musician does not necessarily work for the people but a president does. You have to be a good person to lead our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies