Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,956,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Yeah, no... that’s not what I think, and that’s not what I said. Whatever rules—strict, lenient, what have you—apply at the store (in this made-up situation) should be applied equally, regardless of the color of the shoppers.
It sounds like MP is just making excuses to protect his privilege and is resistant to a more egalitarian solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 08:20 AM

1,874 posts, read 822,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Yea if you read between the lines most right wingers not all mind you just the very vocal ones imply that blacks are dumb and lazy and criminals and therefore undeserving of any help.
So no one told you just think that's what other people think?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:22 AM

4,939 posts, read 2,956,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
So no one told you just think that's what other people think?
Plenty of people have told me that indirectly most of my family is extremely conservative and I live in a conservative city.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:24 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,701,215 times
Quote:
Yeah, no... that’s not what I think, and that’s not what I said. Whatever rules—strict, lenient, what have you—are mandatory at the store (in this made-up situation), they should be applied equally, regardless of the color of the shoppers.

On this, we agree. So it's not really a privilege, is it? Call it anything else and it will be more accurate. Mistreatment of black shoppers, stereotyping them, whatever....that's what it is.

Treating one group the way ALL groups should be treated is not a privilege of that one group - it's unfair treatment of other groups.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:26 AM

42,045 posts, read 75,496,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
But in my mind, I'm like ..."wait aren't you admitting that you're saying that you're better than me based off your skin color and acknowledging it in my face?"
Acknowledging that, as a white woman, I experience privilege based solely on the color of my skin is not saying I'm better than anyone else. It's simply recognizing that the bias sometimes exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
I will not allow people to tell me I have privilege or should have guilt because of the color of my skin.
No one's telling you to feel guilty because of the color of your skin. That's ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Welp, so much for that white privilege nonsense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nal_attainment
You really don't understand the concept, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You mean affirmative action, race quotas, the rooney rule, rent control, section 8 vouchers, black history month, black historical colleges, BET, blackpeople meet.com, black panthers, etc?
Last I checked, affirmative action covers more than just race, everyone who qualifies gets rent control and Housing Choice vouchers, and this white girl is a member of the NAACP.

Quote:
WP has nothing to do with economic success. It has more to do with the overt and covert experiences people face on a day-to-day basis.
That's it in a nutshell. Perfectly stated.

Quote:
Educated black man, huh? OK, sure, comrade.
That made me spit my coffee across the room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
A big part of privilege has to do with assumptions, and benefit of the doubt.

If you can get the job or the spot at a top-tier university or the scholarship without anyone wondering if you got it because of affirmative action or some kind of quota system, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

If you can go to a store and not be followed around because the employees think you are there to shoplift, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

If you can walk or drive anywhere you want without arousing anyone's suspicion, that's privilege. You are being given the benefit of the doubt.

The first example, particularly regarding jobs, is usually white privilege, sometimes male privilege, particularly if it's a technical field: "How did she get that job, everyone knows men are better at STEM?"

The second two, mostly white privilege, and sometimes age privilege. Nobody suspects Grandma of shoplifting, but people watch teens like hawks.

Hell, I can even think of an example of female privilege. A woman can choose to be a stay-at-home parent and no one blinks an eye, but if a man does it, someone, at some point, will say that he's a bad provider - a deadbeat who isn't taking proper care of his family.

So...yeah, privilege is real. If the terminology offends you, think for a moment about the examples above, and call it by a different name if you like. That doesn't make it any less real.

As for those saying people are blaming privilege for all their misfortunes, I didn't see anything in the original post that even hinted at such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Privilege is a special advantage afforded to one group and denied others. Being treated decently isn't a special advantage - it's just the way all people should be treated. Period.
The key phrase here is "should be". And in the discussion of white privilege, being treated decently is the special advantage afforded to one group and denied to others.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:27 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,310,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobo1 View Post
Again, you are talking about stereotypes. There is no need to make up a term directed at whites for negative stereotypes about blacks. Its like you insist on taking the inverse of reality out of refusal to acknowledge negative stereotypes about blacks. Why do these stereotypes exist? Do you think they are completely made up?
Listen, it’s obvious you are itching to paint all black people with the stereotypes you hold against certain other blacks. Do you do that with other races, too? (That’s rhetorical. Don’t bother answering.)

Personally, I am not interested in wasting my time explaining to someone why all black people shouldn’t be treated based on your silly prejudices.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:29 AM

34,340 posts, read 18,719,496 times
People judge others by a number of things. Dress, looks, skin color, ethnicity, how one carries themselves, etc. It is what humans do. The larger question is do we need to have punitive measures on people that may look better to some than others.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM

53,164 posts, read 34,946,066 times
Quote:
Being treated differently (usually better) because you are white is white privilege. Someone upthread mentioned receiving the benefit of the doubt. Yes, that can also be an example of white privilege.

For example, a made-up situation would be... Two people walk from a store with shopping bags. The white person is allowed to leave with no questions; however, the black customer is asked to have their bags checked before departing.

Another example might be... A person of color being asked for additional identification when writing a check (assuming it’s, say, 1992), while the white customer is asked for no identification.

Yet, another example might be... A black person having trouble hailing a cab on a city street, but the same cab that passes him stops to pick up the fare from the white lady a few blocks away.
Black Cab Drivers Accused of Being Racist Against Black Passengers

Old 05-08-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

The key phrase here is "should be". And in the discussion of white privilege, being treated decently is the special advantage afforded to one group and denied to others.

Being treated the way all people should be treated is not special in any way, shape or form.

Or do you think a woman who isn't beaten by her husband a privilege? Or are those who ARE beaten mistreated?

Old 05-08-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Being treated the way all people should be treated is not special in any way, shape or form.

Or do you think a woman who isn't beaten by her husband a privilege? Or are those who ARE beaten mistreated?

Same concept. If you believe in white privilege then there must be something called wife privilege. Wife privilege means your husband isn't abusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies