Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM

24,863 posts, read 9,618,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Ummm, OP.....it's 2018......you ought to be asking about BLACK and BROWN privilege nowadays....
Duh.
You mean affirmative action, race quotas, the rooney rule, rent control, section 8 vouchers, black history month, black historical colleges, BET, blackpeople meet.com, black panthers, etc?

Nope, liberals think reverse racism is fair and square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:15 PM

21,519 posts, read 10,644,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Some people work harder when they think the "deck is stacked against them."

Depends on the person.
I’m sure that’s true, but I’m willing to bet more people are limited by it because that’s human nature. You’re always going to have the strong personality types who take adversity as a challenge, but many more people, especially disadvantaged people, are going to say they’re never going to get as far in life due to systemic discrimination and aren’t going to bother trying.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:37 PM

47,049 posts, read 26,155,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
None, you just have to be white according to liberals.

All those poor white people in the Rust Belt and trailer parks just weren't white enough to enjoy their genetic predisposition to success.
Those poor strawmen, never stood a chance.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,054,958 times
There are millions of white people wondering where their privilege is. They keep getting rejected.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Those poor strawmen, never stood a chance.
17.3 million "strawmen" would like to know where their white privilege is located.

Quote:
White Poverty Rate: 8.8% (17.3 million people)

Percentage of non-Hispanic Whites who fell below the poverty line in 2016
https://talkpoverty.org/basics/

Amazing, being white wasn't enough for 17 million whites in poverty. Maybe there wasn't enough white privilege to go around.

Or maybe we live in a society where skin color won't make up for lack of hard work and education.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:54 AM

3,609 posts, read 1,806,964 times
I’m white my parents even have a little bit of money and you know what they did when I was 18 and wasn’t in school? They threw me out of the house. I had to learn to make it on my own real quick. I was homeless for a while living out of my car, going to food banks, sleeping at friends houses. Those lessons I learned on my own at 18 were invaluable. Everything I have now I earned on my own, I take pride in the little things because I earned them. No one is going to tell me that I have what I have because of my skin color.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:50 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,765,542 times
Take the ideology out of it. Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age and sexual preference still exists, despite many efforts in the public and private sectors to reverse this. Old habits die hard.

Old 05-08-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Take the ideology out of it. Discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age and sexual preference still exists, despite many efforts in the public and private sectors to reverse this. Old habits die hard.
The existence of discrimation is no excuse for failure in life.

No country on earth is a utopia.

If you’re a weak and lazy person, yes discrimination is enough to stop you from successs. If not, then you’ll be like Ben Carson who came from poverty to be a world class neurosurgeon.

As I pointed out, there are 17 million white Americans in poverty so clearly “white privilege” is a myth used by racists to justify superiority.

Last edited by Rocko20; 05-08-2018 at 03:29 AM..

Old 05-08-2018, 03:43 AM

27,738 posts, read 28,853,639 times
“White privilege” is mostly an excuse for some people to believe that they are not responsible for their own outcomes in life.

If you don’t have a bogeyman, then how are you going to explain your failures? Perish the thought.

Old 05-08-2018, 04:01 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,309,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yes. That's why I typed "I've experienced it, personally." Not sure what was left up to interpretation there, really.

Short version: I was on a Greyhound from San Diego to Long Beach and had no idea that there would be a USCIS check along the route. I was by far the whitest person on that bus. The USCIS agent was - well, rude - but not to me. I was called "Sir", my driver's license was given a cursory glance and I was wished a good trip. The kicker: I didn't have my Green Card on me, meaning that I was in visa violation. It was quite blatant.
Thank you for getting it.

WP has nothing to do with economic success. It has more to do with the overt and covert experiences people face on a day-to-day basis.

You might experience WP when you walk into an upscale store, or when you walk into a bank, or when you get pulled over by the cops, or when you buy a new house in a neighborhood. Dane’s story is another clear example.

I don’t, however, expect most of the people on this board to get...or to even make an attempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies