Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:33 AM

1,874 posts, read 820,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Thank you for getting it.

WP has nothing to do with economic success. It has more to do with the overt and covert experiences people face on a day-to-day basis.

You might experience WP when you walk into an upscale store, or when you walk into a bank, or when you get pulled over by the cops, or when you buy a new house in a neighborhood. Dane’s story is another clear example.

I don’t, however, expect most of the people on this board to get...or to even make an attempt.
You are talking about stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2018, 07:36 AM

27,668 posts, read 28,761,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Asians are number one in America. Income, education, lowest crime rate, NUMBER OF TWO PARENT FAMILIES. What about their privilege?
"Asian privilege" doesn't fit the narrative that people want to sell. That is why the whole concept is swept under the rug, never to see the light of day.

"Jewish privilege" is perhaps even more conceptually toxic. But you are not allowed to complicate matters like that. lol

Old 05-08-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
"Asian privilege" doesn't fit the narrative that people want to sell.

That is why the whole concept is swept under the rug, never to see the light of day.
That's because WP is simply another coded liberal term used to pander to black people so they keep voting democrat. That's all it is. The last thing democrats can afford is for black people to become woke up and stand up for themselves. Then they might becomes successful on their own and turn Republican!

Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,949,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
My opinion is it’s a bunch of made up garbage.
Are you claiming that every race is treated equally in the United States especially with regards to jobs and police interaction?

Old 05-08-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
"Asian privilege" doesn't fit the narrative that people want to sell.
Asian privilege? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo_ceiling

Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,655,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Thank you for getting it.

WP has nothing to do with economic success. It has more to do with the overt and covert experiences people face on a day-to-day basis.

You might experience WP when you walk into an upscale store, or when you walk into a bank, or when you get pulled over by the cops, or when you buy a new house in a neighborhood. Dane’s story is another clear example.

I don’t, however, expect most of the people on this board to get...or to even make an attempt.

Being treated decently is a privilege?? Then I guess you believe nobody should get such special treatment and white people should be trailed through stores if black people are.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Being treated decently is a privilege??
If you are less likely to be killed by the police than yes it is a privilege.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Are you claiming that every race is treated equally in the United States especially with regards to jobs and police interaction?
People are never going to be treated equally at all times because people are not equal. That is not a reasonable expectation. If that is your expectation you are never going to be satisfied because you are not being realistic. In regards to jobs, it is not designed to be fair. Minorities are given preferential treatment. In regards to police interactions, I think most people are treated fairly if they comply with directions. There are certainly unprofessional officers out there that dislike blacks and treat them poorly. I'm sure there are also black officers that harass whites.

Old 05-08-2018, 08:00 AM

14,015 posts, read 5,658,173 times
I don't acknowledge it, I think the quote is a concise summation of the overall absurdity of the concept, and I think the entire area of inquiry is rent seeking hocum.

The notion of privilege or lack thereof is preemptive excuse making for those who fail and virtue signaling attempts at social absolution for those who succeed. Skin color is just a convenient way to arrange things because people are generally ignorant and not very inquisitive.

Again, the bottom line of the subject overall is rent seeking.

Premise - white people have "privilege"
Corollary - non-white do not have "privilege"
Conclusion - something must be done to balance the "privilege" scales because justice and because privilege and because.
Prescription - extract rent from whites, redistribute to non-whites.

The conclusion and prescription haven't changed since the 60s. All that is changing is now that you no longer have overt racism on the part of the individual in favor of whites, and have actually flipped to institutional racism on the part of the government in favor of non-whites (except Asians), and all that government favor has resulted in either no change or worsening of various socioeconomic relativities...well, a new excuse needs to be formulated in order to keep extracting rent via the institutional government racism system.

Rent
Seeking
Nonsense

Old 05-08-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
If you are less likely to be killed by the police than yes it is a privilege.
Only if you can control for the actions of the person being shot in each case. It ceases to be a "special right" when the actions of one case deviates from the actions of another, leading to a different outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies