Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White privilege, based on the quote in the OP:
I think it exists. 64 30.05%
Maybe it does exist, but only in the form mentioned in the quote. 4 1.88%
Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. 27 12.68%
I don't agree with the quote. 33 15.49%
No way it exists and the quote and this question are silly. 85 39.91%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 08:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,538,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
If they did they would not be “illegals.”
What are the benefits of being legal ? You get to pay taxes ?..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 08:03 PM

24,828 posts, read 9,595,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Good point . Then it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

And shame on celebrities like Jayz for going on and on about white privilege .

I can’t imagine that is too inspiring for young black people.

He should be saying “look at me , you can do it too” . But instead it’s like “I got mine because I’m special”
Excellent post and well done.

The concept (and myth) of white privilege is extremely detrimental to the psyche of minorities.

As if their skin color is some unprivileged curse. Asian Americans and African immigrants, both of which are highly educated, dispelled this myth a long time ago.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:07 PM

31,846 posts, read 17,685,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
On white privilege: I expect the backlash from racist white people - surprised at the responses from black people thinking that somehow the acknowledgement is making them victims. I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

The white privilege classes I took were many years ago - there are probably people who have been educated more recently who might be able to address the criticisms from black people.

Why whatever would black folks do without white people like you telling them how to think and feel?

If only you would come down from your high horse and mingle with some of us commoners who aren't as good or as bright as you, you'd find we're not racist simply because we have different opinions.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:14 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,590,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If you are not willing to even think you are privileged, you are racist. No argument, just pure racist.
It's peculiar that some people believe there are only the dichotomous alternatives.

Life must be very interesting for you...

Old 05-07-2018, 08:35 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,983,547 times
Quote:
I was reading an article for one of my graduate courses and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's brief.

Here's a really concise quote.... based on this quote, how would you answer the poll?

"It’s important to note that privilege does not guarantee good outcomes for the privileged group or bad outcomes for everyone else. A white person, for example, can work hard and have little to show for it, can be mistreated by the police without cause, be denied a job they’re qualified for. What privilege does is load the odds one way or the other so that the chance of bad things happening to white people as a category of people is much lower than for everyone else, and the chance of good things happening is much higher. Privilege is not something a person can have, like a possession, as in “Where’s mine?” Instead, it is a characteristic of the social system—like a rule in a game—in which everyone participates."

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to read the article (I promise, it really is short): What is a ‘system of privilege’? – Allan G. Johnson

So... what's your opinion, based on the definition offered above?
I haven't read the whole article, but I understand that what he is trying to say is that everyone makes assumptions about others based on a little bit of information. There's nothing earth shattering about this concept.

What he fails to say is that first impressions have a much broader spectrum than skin color. How we dress, our profession, the color of our teeth, whether our hair is trimmed and tidy or unkempt, age, who we are with, overall countenance, and more all contribute to first impressions. What the author seems to be doing is taking an old concept and stripping away the full context to argue a point about skin color.

Take the 65 year old unshaven caucasian man in a crumpled suit, broken shoes and a rough expression, and a 21 year old clean cut black man in a $2000 suit with a warm smile. Who you are more likely to respond positively towards? The white man or the black man, or does it have more to do with other factors that form the first impression than skin color?

Old 05-07-2018, 08:43 PM

50,535 posts, read 47,325,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I haven't read the whole article, but I understand that what he is trying to say is that everyone makes assumptions about others based on a little bit of information. There's nothing earth shattering about this concept.

What he fails to say is that first impressions have a much broader spectrum than skin color. How we dress, our profession, the color of our teeth, whether our hair is trimmed and tidy or unkempt, age, who we are with, overall countenance, and more all contribute to first impressions. What the author seems to be doing is taking an old concept and stripping away the full context to argue a point about skin color.

Take the 65 year old unshaven caucasian man in a crumpled suit, broken shoes and a rough expression, and a 21 year old clean cut black man in a $2000 suit with a warm smile. Who you are more likely to respond positively towards? The white man or the black man, or does it have more to do with other factors that form the first impression than skin color?
^ this

I can't stand these tweeker people at EVERY corner begging and they are mostly white. Plus the losers going through most of everyone's trash cans are tweeker types too. Of course this is SD and mostly white. There are some aggressive types that appear to be new immigrants but man those beggars are on every corner now.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:44 PM

1,874 posts, read 822,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
It's peculiar that some people believe there are only the dichotomous alternatives.

Life must be very interesting for you...

thats usually a sign of a lazy thinker

Old 05-07-2018, 08:45 PM

7,447 posts, read 7,046,608 times
Quote:
I was reading an article for one of my graduate courses and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's brief.

Here's a really concise quote.... based on this quote, how would you answer the poll?

"It’s important to note that privilege does not guarantee good outcomes for the privileged group or bad outcomes for everyone else. A white person, for example, can work hard and have little to show for it, can be mistreated by the police without cause, be denied a job they’re qualified for. What privilege does is load the odds one way or the other so that the chance of bad things happening to white people as a category of people is much lower than for everyone else, and the chance of good things happening is much higher. Privilege is not something a person can have, like a possession, as in “Where’s mine?” Instead, it is a characteristic of the social system—like a rule in a game—in which everyone participates."

Here's a link to it if anyone wants to read the article (I promise, it really is short): What is a ‘system of privilege’? – Allan G. Johnson

So... what's your opinion, based on the definition offered above?
It's complete BS. A total fiction.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:51 PM

24,828 posts, read 9,595,376 times
Welp, so much for that white privilege nonsense.

Quote:
African immigrants to the US are among the most educated groups in the United States. Some 48.9 percent of all African immigrants hold a college diploma. This is more than double the rate of native-born white Americans, and nearly four times the rate of native-born African Americans.[26] According to the 2000 Census, the rate of college diploma acquisition is highest among Egyptian Americans at 59.7 percent, followed closely by Nigerian Americans at 58.6 percent.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nal_attainment

Old 05-07-2018, 09:19 PM

2,960 posts, read 2,910,185 times
White privilege is a culture where parents, despite their economic background, give their children all they can. It's a culture where parents care about education, care about moral upbringing, and care about their children having a better life than they had and put forth time and money to see to it. White privilege is taking a step back to give your children a step up.

In other cultures the male of the species only dedication to its young is to spread sperm over eggs like spawning fish. Beyond that, I dunno, eh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies