Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please select one
I am a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 69 20.29%
I am a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 80 23.53%
I am not a Christian. I support separating children from their parents at the border 59 17.35%
I am not a Christian. I do not support separating children from their parents at the border 132 38.82%
Voters: 340. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:46 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
When your own church calls you out.

United Methodist Church urges Sessions to halt migrant family separations

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...gration-policy
The United Methodist also support liberal policies and directly support planned parenthood...so your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
You’re in direct violation of your religious beliefs.

Deuteronomy 24:16 ESV / 429 helpful votes

“Fathers shall not be put to death because of their children, nor shall children be put to death because of their fathers. Each one shall be put to death for his own sin.

Ezekiel 18:19-20 ESV / 322 helpful votes

“Yet you say, ‘Why should not the son suffer for the iniquity of the father?’ When the son has done what is just and right, and has been careful to observe all my statutes, he shall surely live. The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.”

There are photos of the inside of some of these facilities and they’re not great. This last weekend a group of doctors visited a location where they discovered that employees were not allowed to physically interact with the kids. They witnessed a toddler crying while employees stood to the side as they weren’t allowed to comfort the child.

Unacceptable.
I really don't like it when people cherry pick scripture and want to use it for personal gain or to prove a point. You have to read the before and afters which gives it new life. Also the bible also says that you are to follow the laws of the land.

The policies of children being separated from their parents is nothing new. It's been going on before Trump. Because of the hatred there is for Trump it's magnified. I really wish they would send them all back.
The reason I am so torn over this is those who are crossing over are being treated better than the kids who are citizens that are homeless, in need of food and/or medical treatment.
There are some who in the past we've disagreed on things, but I will say that we are on the same page with this.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The majority of conservatives claim to be a God believing types and for those that are my post applies to them.
No, those children should be left with thier parents I agree that we shouldn’t have to flip the bill for these children.
Their parents are arrested and charged with smuggling a child across the border. You want the children of illegal aliens detained for prosecution held with their parents. What about children of citizens who are arrested?

So where should the adults who were charged with a crime awaiting a hearing and their children be held?

I think perhaps the majority of republican conservatives running for or holding political office claim to be religious, not the majority of conservatives. Still not sure what that has to do with anything.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There's no need for a detention center to meet the requirements of a licensed day care center if the parents are present.

You're wrong.

In July, U.S. District Judge Dolly Gee ordered the immigrants released as soon as possible because their detention violates the provisions of a 1997 legalsettlement — the Flores v. Meese agreement — which requires that undocumented juveniles beheld in the places that protect their overall well-being. In her ruling, she declared conditions in the detention centers “deplorable.”
“The court determined that while detained by [Immigration and Customs Enforcement], families must be in state-licensed facilities to provide ‘essential protection of regular and comprehensive oversight by an independent child welfare agency,’”

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/10...ation-centers/

Old 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
This is not a Trump problem; it is a Congressional problems: https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...ids-at-border/. They make the laws and we enforce them. "The Trump administration isn’t changing the rules that pertain to separating an adult from the child. Those remain the same. Separation happens only if officials find that the adult is falsely claiming to be the child’s parent, or is a threat to the child, or is put into criminal proceedings." That article goes on to further explain the problem which they claim is the "Flores consent decree". Congress has the power to fix that problem.

As far as your claim that we are the only country to treat these poor people (that decided to break our laws) like this; Mexico treats their immigrants worse: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...pped/85798440/.
Oh..I see, it's not a Trump problem, it's just that he decided (unlike any other President) that applying for asylum automatically makes you a criminal and subjects you to losing your children - thanks for clarifying that!

Mexico does not separate children from their parents and there is nothing in that article that claims that they do.

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Wrong.

The ONLY country that has a "first safe harbor" agreement with the US is Canada. Asylum seekers can, but have no obligation, to claim in Mexico.
No they don't but it certainly can move to invalidate their claim.

7,300 posts, read 3,400,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No side has lowered the bar. Read the law -- it is what it is. Anyone can claim asylum. And that's how the law reads. It hasn't changed in the last 10 years in principle. If Trump, Sessions have a problem with the asylum law -- change it.

But don't randomly decide that asylum seekers are now criminals. That's not how the USA does things.

That's how things are done in dictatorships.
Lol... that's extremely debatable. The president and even individual agencies have always had a wide latitude in policy enforcement. And your "decide that they are criminals" is creative phrasing. If they come through Mexico, it is unlikely that they will have a valid asylum claim because they did not stop and apply in Mexico. If they are not being prosecuted, then no one has decided that they are criminals. If they are prosecuted or expelled, then what they were doing is either invalid according to asylum guidelines or outright illegal when they try to cross the border without filing.

The president and the enforcing agencies are well within norms to treat these individuals as if they are here to file fraudulent claims. It has nothing to do with your hyperbolic claim of dictatorship. You only dilute that word's meaning when you use it in this context.

To liberals, everyone who is not them is an evil dictator. Until their evil dictators come to power. See how that works?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
So, lets get this straight....those seeking asylum, not from mexico, go through mexico because they are in danger...why not stay in mexico? If they are fleeing their own county....why not stay in a country that is not violent?

Old 06-18-2018, 09:50 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Do you realize that there is nothing in any law or treaty that requires this, right? US law and treaties allow for asylum to be made, not matter how a border was crossed, once the person is in the USA.
The person can apply for asylum, but having entered the US illegally, IS an illegal alien. That status would only change if asylum was granted.

Quote:
Separating the children from their parent is cruel and immoral, and no spin will make it otherwise.
Happens every day to thousands of US citizen families. As such, it's utterly ridiculous to think illegal aliens who violate the law deserve to be treated better than US citizens who violate the law. THAT is why the Dems will keep losing elections. They repeatedly prioritize illegal aliens over US citizens.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No they don't but it certainly can move to invalidate their claim.
There is no law in the US requiring that an asylum seeker apply in the first safe country that is a EU rule, it can't be used to invalidate their claim

Old 06-18-2018, 09:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,800,783 times
Quote:
Asylum seekers are not in the USA illegally, and I've shown both the law and the treaties why that is true. Trump and Sessions are not showing respect for the law.
Not all who cross are seeking asylum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Beg to differ. Congress turned their backs on the homeless. When the Reagan administration said mentally ill had to commit themselves they were also supposed to fund community based mental health facilities. Congress under all administrations and/or party failed to do so.

Most communities are doing what they can. Many are overwhelmed. Read 'What the Dog Saw' the chapter Million Dollar Murray.
It really bothers me that we have illegals crossing the boarder who are getting a roof over their heads, hot meals and free medical when here we are upon the end of the school year or already summer break for US citizens where children and parents are wondering where their next meal is coming from, where they are going to stay or how they can afford to get their sick kid seen.
People are not getting their panties in a wad for them? Are illegals so much more important than our own citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies