Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 07:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
I mean, I don't think the Founders would like the idea of having to pay the government a sum of money, in some places as high as $15K/year, for the privilege of owning their own house, and that if they didn't pay, the government could take their paycheck or even the house itself.
The founders left it to the States to create their laws, and the States created property tax laws. If you don't like it, don't buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Bully for you. I also own outright, and I just paid my property taxes for the year on April 30th. It is what it is. If I can't afford the on-going obligation of property taxes, then I need to sell and move to a lower-tax property. This is what I signed on for.
And I wondering why you even think it should be normal for you to have to move due to not being able to afford the tax? And what if you cannot afford it on the next place you move to, like if you are chronically disabled and have little to no income?

For example, do you think it is normal for someone to either sell, or have seized, their home because they do not have the means to pay the property tax? A tax in which they have little control over? And that tax is not even fairly distributed for people to pay, but based off the value of the home which that value has no relation to the means to pay the tax?

Just wondering the logic trail you have with this.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The founders left it to the States to create their laws, and the States created property tax laws. If you don't like it, don't buy a house.
Yea, that is a real solution; be homeless, lol.

Better idea, start pressuring elected officials to change the system to something rational.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Don't have to, renounce your citizenship and become stateless.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ty-Abroad.html
I never agreed to it in the first place.

Renounce your loyalty to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

Let's see who blinks first here.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Part of the idea of property tax, which a lot of people forget, is to disincentivize hoarding, and keep land use as productive and efficient as possible. If no one ever had any incentive to sell their land, you would have low turnover and bad land use overall
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
this is a great response. But I just feel like people should be able to actually own their own shelter. But I don't have a good response to this beyond "I would like" because what you say is true. I feel like we should not tax the necessities of life-and shelter is one of them. But I see the issue that you bring up very clearly.

Maybe allow the first 1/4 acre that is owned and lived in by a person as being tax free. Because honestly.....thats not hoarding if you have to live there.
Really?

Why would anybody horde the land? Wouldn’t the money be better used in other investments to make money?

Even the land is rented out, the property tax would be factored into the rent.

So what’s the point?

Old 05-07-2018, 07:33 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Nobody is "forcing" you to pay taxes when you can voluntarily renounce your citizenship.
Do I need to renounce my Amazon Prime membership if I never signed up in the first place?

I have almost zero interest in comics, but I thought this quote was awesome...

Quote:
“Doesn't matter what the press says. Doesn't matter what the politicians or the mobs say. Doesn't matter if the whole country decides that something wrong is something right.

This nation was founded on one principle above all else: The requirement that we stand up for what we believe, no matter the odds or the consequences. When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world -- "No, YOU move.”

- Captain America

Old 05-07-2018, 07:34 PM

6,751 posts, read 3,371,581 times
I own my home free and clear and the property tax I pay in Nevada is 1/5th of what I paid in Illinois. I gladly pay my property taxes for the services I receive, and the amount I pay here is more than fair.

That is not the case in many other places and in Illinois I felt like we were getting gouged to pay for lousy service, bad pension deals, and crooked politicians.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:35 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
And I wondering why you even think it should be normal for you to have to move due to not being able to afford the tax? And what if you cannot afford it on the next place you move to, like if you are chronically disabled and have little to no income?

For example, do you think it is normal for someone to either sell, or have seized, their home because they do not have the means to pay the property tax? A tax in which they have little control over? And that tax is not even fairly distributed for people to pay, but based off the value of the home which that value has no relation to the means to pay the tax?

Just wondering the logic trail you have with this.
Yes, as a matter of fact I do think it's normal, as in usual, typical, and/or expected for an American property owner. The first federal estate tax was signed into law in 1797 by President John Adams, and failure to pay that tax did result in loss of property and sometimes even imprisonment. (Thankfully, our country doesn't do that last thing any longer.) There has never been a time in my life, my parents' lives, or my now-deceased grandparents' lives when property taxes were not part and parcel of homeownership.

Oh, and I'd also like to point out that my county and many others in my state offer a property tax exemption program for low-income seniors and disabled residents, so help is out there for those who need it.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-07-2018 at 08:42 PM..

Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,786,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I never agreed to it in the first place.

Renounce your loyalty to the Grand Duke of Luxembourg.

Let's see who blinks first here.
I seriously don't understand this; you can choose to renounce your citizenship and never pay taxes ever again. Ok, you didn't consent to becoming a citizen when you were born, but you can't consent to anything at that age. So now you either do something about or you don't.

The extent of my political involvement is arguing with people on CD and voting, but at least I'm doing something.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:40 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Part of the idea of property tax, which a lot of people forget, is to disincentivize hoarding, and keep land use as productive and efficient as possible. If no one ever had any incentive to sell their land, you would have low turnover and bad land use overall
Based on what moral standard do you come up with this idea? If I want to horde something, how is that your business? Why do you put a gun on my head and force me to pay taxes on stuff I own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies