Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 02:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Something else for Kylia Carter and desertdetroiter to ponder:

Average Salary of a Minor League Baseball Player: $2,150.00 per month.

Average Salary of a an NBA Developmental League Player: $19,500 or $26,000 per year.

Value of Wendell Carter’s one year at Duke: $72,000 tuition and room & board. Plus numerous travel opportunities, networking opportunities, and the perfect stage to position himself for the NBA draft after which he will earn millions.

If that is Slavery, I will gladly sign on.

Do you need help with the numbers desertdetroiter?
I’m not feeling the love. No answer til I do. Come on...try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 02:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The creator of the NCAA system likened it to slavery. So he doesn’t know his own invention better than you? What sport did you play in college?
I do not care what the creator says, it is not even close to slavery. You of all people on this forum I would think you would find such notion absurd.

A slave; a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them. The players are no one's property and they are not forced to obey them. A person in an NCAA sport is free to leave at any time.

People work very hard, and put numerous hours of practice and playing in hopes of getting into one of these NCAA sports. I seriously doubt slaves were putting in lots of training and hoping and praying for a chance to be a slave. After the person starts playing, they continue to put in numerous hours of practice and pay time in hopes of not only continuing to play, but to be selected for professional sports. A slave is most likely not thrilled by such prospect of being a slave, and if anything, looking for how to escape. A person in the NCAA can quit at any time, a slave cannot quit.

I did not play sports in college, not a college sponsored sport at least (I do jiu itsu). I guess my jiu jistu is slavery since I actually pay for the classes, and the head coach/gym owner reaps the awards of having highly competitive and award winners attending his gym.

My college was paid by the GI Bill, I put in 12 years of service and three combat deployments. but I guess though I should feel sorry for the NCAA players who volunteer to play a game for their college payment.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:17 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
The biggest challenge facing paying those players is that the basketball and football teams already financially carry all the people on Lacrosse, Volleyball etc. scholarships at most schools.

You start paying the Duke basketball players then you have to start paying the Lacrosse players, all of the women teams athletes....everybody. Then what if you try to pay them different amounts?

One giant, colossal cluster there.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:23 PM

The misery on these people's faces, being forced into slavery;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHJZCZIJcC0

Old 05-09-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I do not care what the creator says, it is not even close to slavery. You of all people on this forum I would think you would find such notion absurd.

A slave; a person who is the legal property of another and is forced to obey them. The players are no one's property and they are not forced to obey them. A person in an NCAA sport is free to leave at any time.

People work very hard, and put numerous hours of practice and playing in hopes of getting into one of these NCAA sports. I seriously doubt slaves were putting in lots of training and hoping and praying for a chance to be a slave. After the person starts playing, they continue to put in numerous hours of practice and pay time in hopes of not only continuing to play, but to be selected for professional sports. A slave is most likely not thrilled by such prospect of being a slave, and if anything, looking for how to escape. A person in the NCAA can quit at any time, a slave cannot quit.

I did not play sports in college, not a college sponsored sport at least (I do jiu itsu). I guess my jiu jistu is slavery since I actually pay for the classes, and the head coach/gym owner reaps the awards of having highly competitive and award winners attending his gym.

My college was paid by the GI Bill, I put in 12 years of service and three combat deployments. but I guess though I should feel sorry for the NCAA players who volunteer to play a game for their college payment.
I’m going with Walter Byers’ opinion over yours. Why? Because he created it and knew it better than you do.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Something else for Kylia Carter and desertdetroiter to ponder:

Average Salary of a Minor League Baseball Player: $2,150.00 per month.

Average Salary of a an NBA Developmental League Player: $19,500 or $26,000 per year.

Value of Wendell Carter’s one year at Duke: $72,000 tuition and room & board. Plus numerous travel opportunities, networking opportunities, and the perfect stage to position himself for the NBA draft after which he will earn millions.

If that is Slavery, I will gladly sign on.

Do you need help with the numbers desertdetroiter?
What numbers?

Old 05-09-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
I’m going with Walter Byers’ opinion over yours. Why? Because he created it and knew it better than you do.
You are going with his opinion because you have no counter to my arguments. If his opinion was counter to your opinion, I am sure you would not change your opinion to align with his.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:47 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
“The problem that I see is not with the student-athletes, it’s not with the coaches or the institutions of higher learning but it’s with a system … where the laborers are the only people that are not being compensated for the work..."

I actually agree with the part of her statement bolded. football and basketball player athletes get little compensation compared to the millions and millions they generate for their university and their coaches. I have always thought college football and basketball athletes at very profitable athletic schools should receive a salary for playing ball.
They ARE being compensated: athletic scholarships. The Cost of Attendance at Duke is about $73,000/year. They're being compensated $73,000/year.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:01 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
what numbers?

72,000 > 2,500?

Old 05-10-2018, 07:04 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
And if they study and do well, they can expect an average starting salary of $53K per year, with a good chance of moving into the 6-figure world pretty quickly.
Most of them major in and earn their degree in sports-related fields such as Athletic Training, Sports Communication, etc., and if they end up not going pro, get a job at their alma mater, another school, or a with a pro team. They do exist, but it's pretty rare to find exceptional NCAA athletes who also earn challenging degrees.

15 for '15: College football's smartest players | NFL.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies