Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 08:45 AM

25,915 posts, read 16,638,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
will he be America's first gay, black President?
Maybe that and be the first borderline mentally disabled President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 AM

20,119 posts, read 9,644,403 times
Although the OP completely "misrepresented" the book, I want to thank him or her for the recommendation, which I have now ordered from the library. For those of you who would like a review:

From the Wikipedia summary (excerpted) --

QUOTE: "Alongside his personal history, Vance raises questions such as the responsibility of his family and people for their own misfortune. Vance blames hillbilly culture and its supposed encouragement of social rot. Comparatively, he feels that economic insecurity plays a much lesser role. To lend credence to his argument, Vance regularly relies on personal experience. As a grocery store checkout cashier, he watched welfare recipients talk on cell phones while Vance himself could not afford one. This resentment towards those who apparently profited from misdeeds while he struggled, especially combined with his values of personal responsibility and tough love, is presented as a microcosm of Appalachia's overall political swing from strong Democratic Party to strong Republican affiliations. Likewise, he recounts stories intended to showcase a lack of work ethic including, the story of a man who quit after expressing dislike over his job’s hours and posted to social media about the "Obama economy", as well as a co-worker, with a pregnant girlfriend, who would skip work.[1]" ENDQUOTE

[My italics]

Old 05-18-2018, 09:14 AM

20,119 posts, read 9,644,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The main flaw I found with "Hillbilly Elegy" was that the author seems to generalize, whether intentionally or not, with the result that many readers not too familiar with Appalachian culture and the history of outmigration to the industrial cities to the north assume that his family is typical of all of the many Kentucky mountain families who followed that migration path.

They're not. They're, well, trashy. Potty mouthed. Alcohol abusers. Violent towards one another. Unstable. Erratic. Inconsistent. Loving, well, yes, sort of, but self-centered, and easily triggered

[SNIP]

I heard Vance speak at a book fair a couple of years ago, and since this was the Kentucky Book Fair, he drew a large audience of readers, literate and articulate people - Kentuckians - many of whom questioned him closely about just these issues. He seemed much more moderate in person than in his writing, I was glad to see, but time ran out before all the questions got asked and answered.
My father's family is from West Virginia, my grandfather moved to Akron, Ohio about 1910 when he was a young man, and my father moved to SoCal in 1963. Based on my 64 years of life experience, I am convinced that people from and living in the Appalachia and the Midwest are like those in or from other regions in the U.S. -- some are good, hardworking, and intelligent citizens, and some are not. I am just so tired of all the stereotyping that some people do, no matter what "kind" of people are being discussed.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:22 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,419,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
My father's family is from West Virginia, my grandfather moved to Akron, Ohio about 1910 when he was a young man, and my father moved to SoCal in 1963. Based on my 64 years of life experience, I am convinced that people from and living in the Appalachia and the Midwest are like those in or from other regions in the U.S. -- some are good, hardworking, and intelligent citizens, and some are not. I am just so tired of all the stereotyping that some people do, no matter what "kind" of people are being discussed.
A lot of people seem to enjoy stating stereotypical hateful things on the internet about people all over. I dunno why.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:37 AM

31,846 posts, read 17,720,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
In what redneck Bizarro-world alternate universe does that come across as... uh... "bashing?"

Exactly. In fact, it was the same exact response I had when I read the book and I'm white.

It's the culture of poverty and ignorance that poor rural whites have in common with poor urban blacks. Very similar bad behavior but small town USA doesn't get much media coverage and El Chapo seems to have limited his cartel's activity to large cities - so gang wars over drugs isn't an issue in small towns.

Last edited by MPowering1; 05-18-2018 at 10:25 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 10:09 AM

19,856 posts, read 12,398,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Exactly. In fact, it was the same exact response I had when I read the book and I'm white.

It's the culture of poverty and ignorance that poor rural whites have with poor urban blacks. Very similar bad behavior but small town USA doesn't get much media coverage and El Chapo seems to have limited his cartel's activity to large cities - so gang wars over drugs isn't an issue in small towns.
Yep, dodged bullets in an urban area- gang war. Dodged bullets in rural area - dumbass hunting where he should not have been. Same result, innocents caught in the crossfire of idiocy. Why specifically pick on rurals as liberals and those who have left rural areas do. If you had a bad childhood in a rural area it doesn't mean you would not have had a bad childhood in the city. Yet they cling on to their distain of rural people, particularly white rural people as an example of the worst of America.

Now all manner of idiocy is spreading to the suburbs. Let's not point fingers in any one direction.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,634,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...-them-n2481027

Seems like Democrats intend to win by bashing rural America.

I wonder how their rural bashing strategy is going to do in November. Especially the large rural populations in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Michigan and other former swing states.

I wonder why a senator who represents this and was mayor of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cs4UTT-hc0

Newark, NJ

mocks this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdiW-ElkBoQ

Pella, Iowa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdOX9jZHPGM

Kearney, Nebraska
Hillbilly Elegy written by Republican JD Vance obviously did not intend his book to be about BASHING Appalachia - where he grew up. Vance lives in Ohio and has every intention of running for office as a Republican.

Perhaps you should tell him what you think of his book.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 AM

73,184 posts, read 63,029,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Hillbilly sure sounds like an insult to me, tell that to your boss, see what happens.
Well, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly

Old 05-18-2018, 10:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,447,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Hillbilly Elegy written by Republican JD Vance obviously did not intend his book to be about BASHING Appalachia - where he grew up. Vance lives in Ohio and has every intention of running for office as a Republican.

Perhaps you should tell him what you think of his book.
Exactly. A Republican and grandchild of poor Appalachian transplants to blue-collar Ohio wrote the book. There's nothing in Booker's reading of Vance's book that could be misconstrued as bashing. To paraphrase Martha Stewart, books are "a good thing," especially when it involves reading beyond your comfort zone. Booker is to be applauded. He's getting outside the echo chamber that prevents American politicians from reaching across the aisle and moving toward concensus.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:23 AM

73,184 posts, read 63,029,212 times
To the persons bashing Cory Booker, at least Booker is trying to understand. At least he's trying to educate himself to understand things better. What more do you want from Cory Booker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies