Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 09:57 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Why on earth you think I was referring to you is beyond me.
Then why did you quote me? Leave me out of your posts, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 09:58 PM

24,651 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
On what basis do you conclude that Corey Booker opposes "self-reliance, determination and hard work"?

His life seems to be the embodiment of such principles.
Because Democrats run on campaigns of victimization, government handouts, welfare, and general liberal policies for their constituents.

There is a reason the author is Republican.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Then why did you quote me? Leave me out of your posts, thanks.
I quoted your post because it detailed his personal background. It's a free country, thanks.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times
Quote:
Because Democrats run on campaigns of victimization, government handouts, welfare, and general liberal policies for their constituents.
They do? All of them? Can you detail SPECIFIC examples when Booker has done this?

And then why do you support Trump, who was a lifelong Dem?

Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
They do? All of them? Can you detail SPECIFIC examples when Booker has done this?

And then why do you support Trump, who was a lifelong Dem?
Are you really questioning the general philosophies of liberalism and being a Democrat?

I'm a libertarian, thanks for your concern.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:03 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
I quoted your post because it detailed his personal background. It's a free country, thanks.
Odd to quote someone like that, but whatever.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,907,446 times
The main flaw I found with "Hillbilly Elegy" was that the author seems to generalize, whether intentionally or not, with the result that many readers not too familiar with Appalachian culture and the history of outmigration to the industrial cities to the north assume that his family is typical of all of the many Kentucky mountain families who followed that migration path.

They're not. They're, well, trashy. Potty mouthed. Alcohol abusers. Violent towards one another. Unstable. Erratic. Inconsistent. Loving, well, yes, sort of, but self-centered, and easily triggered.

In fact, much of Vance's description of his kinfolks comes perilously close to the tired old hillbilly stereotype, and I'm not just talking about his title. His conclusions may be valid for his own family and his personal situation and experience - but they cannot be as broadly applied as some have done after reading this book, and the people he describes are atypical of the people of Eastern Kentucky.

What IS consistent is the strong ties to "back home", and the frequent trips home to the mountains from the north. That's spot-on - you can still see lots and lots of Ohio plates on cars heading down I-75 every Friday evening - the flow reverses on late Sunday afternoons. Also accurate is the feeling of being exiled - strangers in a strange land - and never feeling at home in the northern industrial cities, despite years of residence. Home is still the mountains...

I heard Vance speak at a book fair a couple of years ago, and since this was the Kentucky Book Fair, he drew a large audience of readers, literate and articulate people - Kentuckians - many of whom questioned him closely about just these issues. He seemed much more moderate in person than in his writing, I was glad to see, but time ran out before all the questions got asked and answered.

Vance's book is provocative, and that may be a good thing - but it is also damaging, unless readers take the time to read more, look further and learn more, ideally by talking with people from eastern Kentucky whose families moved to Ohio or Detroit fifty or so years ago.

I hope Senator Booker will do just that, and not accept Vance's book as absolute gospel.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Odd.
I agree, very odd an independent would be upset by a post referencing democrats then try to tell a poster who they can and can't quote.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,350,130 times
Quote:
Are you really questioning the general philosophies of liberalism and being a Democrat?

I'm a libertarian, thanks for your concern.
Booker is not "liberal" and those "general philosophies" are absolutely NOT representative of Dems.

So yes, I'm questioning your cartoonish, silly claims.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Booker is not "liberal" and those "general philosophies" are absolutely NOT representative of Dems.

So yes, I'm questioning your cartoonish, silly claims.
He's a registered Democrat last time I checked.

So yes, Booker's praise of a book written by a Republican's inspirational story of hard work, self-reliance, and determination without Democratic handouts is highly ironic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies