Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, it isn't. In fact it's the exact opposite.

Booker has a career of "hard work, self reliance and refusal of govt. handouts". None of those things are remotely contradictory to being a registered Dem.

I am not aware of any "don't work hard, don't be self reliant and you must accept govt. handouts" platform, by any party.
Stop digging, it's just sad at this point.

Your liberal Democratic boy Cory Booker who opposes conservative legislation and philosophies, praised the inspirational story of a conservative Republican who refused Democratic government handouts to be highly successful.

It's so pathetic that Booker doesn't recognize the hypocrisy. What's worse is that Booker himself utilized and believes in conservative philosophies to get where he is now, yet abandoned all that for a Democrtatic vote and a campaign of government handouts and victimization for his constituents.

This certainly isn't the first or last time Democrats will unknowingly praise the anti-welfare values of successful Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 11:28 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Have you read the book in the OP? The people on this thread who’ve actually read the book have praised it. It’s about Mr Vance’s experience not yours.

“Humiliation”, discontent, resentment and foolish pride sounds like a personal problem to me. Survivors and successful people learn to adapt and overcome. Yearning for a past that isn’t coming back and blaming others for it is UNHEALTHY. Relying on sons, daughters and spouses for labor doesn’t sound very “self reliant” to me. Individuals have the right to live as they wish.

Honest work is honest work. Pink collar or not. I had three jobs at different times in college. One of them required me to clean toilets. I did it and I didn’t die. My people didn’t come out of the lucky sperm club. We’ve had to work for a living.

Please get over yourself.
If you read my post more carefully, you might have noticed that it was my Dad, and not I, who paid the price of being chained to the land in middle age; my one brother and I were able to "bail out".

I paid a small price in being unable to fit well into the petty politicization of a feminized and over-sensitized workplace. But I got around that by learning about the stock market, and by developing a seasonal sideline tax and bookkeeping business that a partner (a woman, BTW) and I sill run 37 years later, and by holding down a unionized warehouse job for 18 of those 37 years. My brother got a Veterinary degree and did a lot better. But he started out at farms and horse-racing tracks, and later worked in a packing plant -- not the sanitary suburban puppy-and-kitten practice which is the fantasy of most veterinary wannabees. Both he and his wife (also a DVM) are familiar with the south end of a northbound horse that scares half of the wannabees away.

We all have to work for a living -- or end up among the detritus roaming the streets of Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle -- and looking for somebody to blame.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-17-2018 at 11:53 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 PM

24,650 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Indeed it is. Pathetic, actually. The Cult cannot help itself.

I love the mass delusion, crazy fantasy and complete ignorance. Not even a single statement is remotely accurate, or has anything to do with Booker or the book.

Cory Booker is a current liberal democrat who campaigns on welfare to pander up support yet he lived a conservative life/upbringing (both parents were CEOs, he went to an Ivy League and has a Masters) with no handouts and praises conservative book authors like in the OP.

It doesn't get any more hypocritical than that

Quote:
The Democratic politician took up the SNAP/Food Stamp Challenge after getting into a discussion with a fellow Twitter user about "the role the government should play in funding school breakfast and lunch programs," The Star-Ledger writes.

His challenge (SNAP stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or food stamps) is to live for a week on the $4-or-so per day average that New Jersey food stamp recipients receive.
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...hallenge-today

You would think a person, or his parents, who never relied on handouts wouldn’t been so quick to support them to gain votes. One can argue he’s a black Republican dressed as a black democrat and that’s exactly what most of his democratic political opponents saw when he ran on campaigns of welfare and victimization.

Last edited by Rocko20; 05-18-2018 at 12:27 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The author fittingly is a Republican, it's amazing what self-reliance, determination, and hard work can do for the poor in this country.

It's ironic that a Democrat, who opposes such concepts, would praise the book.
Really? I’m a liberal Democrat and my favorite book of all time is The Autobiography of Malcolm X...one of the most conservative people I can think of.

You suffer from a bad case of political myopia. Ease up on the Corvette exhaust.
Quote:
Because Democrats run on campaigns of victimization, government handouts, welfare, and general liberal policies for their constituents.

There is a reason the author is Republican.
Yeah...he’s highly misguided.
Quote:
Are you really questioning the general philosophies of liberalism and being a Democrat?

I'm a libertarian, thanks for your concern.
In the age of Trump, you’ve all become libertarians. You think that by claiming anything other than Republican while still being a huge Trump supporter, it’ll help you wash off the stink when Trump goes down.

But naaaah....you were a Conservative Republican in November of 2016, and you’re still one. Trump’s stink won’t wash off by playing the libertarian role.
Quote:
He's a registered Democrat last time I checked.

So yes, Booker's praise of a book written by a Republican's inspirational story of hard work, self-reliance, and determination without Democratic handouts is highly ironic.
I’m as liberal as it gets and getting more liberal by the hour...the most influential and important book in my life is The Autobiography of Malcolm X who is ten times more conservative than Vance...or you!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Some Democrats? You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

I read Hillbilly Elegy, BTW, and it's excellent. All Booker has to do, is mention the title to a roomful of his Democrat base (who, most likely, didn't read it), and that, alone, will elicit titters and guffaws from his Democrat base, who do bash rural voters, red states, "flyover country," etc. on a regular basis. So let's not pussyfoot around. Booker is part of "the resistance," and he's condescending to travel to rural areas--on a "listening tour." Something tells me they won't be fooled.

Oh, and it's this kind of crapulence that got Trump elected.
Now I get it. You guys are angry that a wealthy black man had the nerve to pick up a book about poor white folks that are caught in the same pathology that poor blacks are caught up in!! That’s highly offensive because. no matter how high and mighty Booker might be with his high fallutin education and his Rhodes Scholar credentials, the boy oughta STILL know his place!

I mean, it’s okay for white folks to yammer on interminably about poor blacks (who they know nothing about either), but this thing can’t go both ways, can it?

Damn...you right wingers are so transparent.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:46 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,539,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post

Seems like Democrats intend to win by bashing rural America.
Seems like POC forum nutwings try to win by bashing books and articles they haven't bother to read.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:57 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I don't see the connection between reading a rather serious, compassionate, and heartbreaking memoir that attempts to bridge the gaping political divide plaguing our country as making fun of rural people. I think everyone would be wise to pick up Vance's book regardless of political affiliation or social background.
I read the book and though it was an interesting story of Appalachia culture, it certainly did not make me any more respectful of the folks in that culture. For me, the message was similar to an earlier book, “What’s The Matter With Kansas” and, a more recent book, “Educated” about a woman from Idaho who rejected her family’s contempt for government and education and managed to escape a life of ignorance. All of these books share a common theme of rural independence. Of folks who scorn education, government and pretty much anyone outside of their insulated communities. All three books are interesting reads but the message of all was of folks stuck in a culture that cannot and will not prosper in today’s world. Yes, some of these people are fiercely strong and independent but their stubborn and steadfast refusal to interact with cultures outside their own ensures generation after generation of bitterness and despair.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:34 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Cory Booker is a current liberal democrat who campaigns on welfare to pander up support yet he lived a conservative life/upbringing (both parents were CEOs, he went to an Ivy League and has a Masters) with no handouts and praises conservative book authors like in the OP.

It doesn't get any more hypocritical than that

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...hallenge-today

You would think a person, or his parents, who never relied on handouts wouldn’t been so quick to support them to gain votes. One can argue he’s a black Republican dressed as a black democrat and that’s exactly what most of his democratic political opponents saw when he ran on campaigns of welfare and victimization.
Your post is so misguided that it's hard to figure out where to start.

1. Going to an Ivy , and having successful parents is in no way "conservative " , the fact that you think it is says way more about your way of thinking than anything else.

It seems you hold the belief that no successful person can be naturally liberal in beliefs , they must be doing it to get votes .

2. It is in no way hypocritical to understand that life isn't fair and that not everyone grew up with parents who worked for IBM.

Your entire argument is based on your own belief that if you did not have the same circumstances, then you shouldnt be in agreement with anything involving that situation.

That's an odd belief to have and honestly makes no sense .

Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Given NJ is the largest pharmaceutical center on the planet, that sorta makes sense, no?
No.

Quote:
You would criticize a Michigan politician for receiving donations from the Big 3, a NY politician for receiving donations from Wall Street, or a California politician for receiving donations from tech? Bizarre.
We had an opportunity to bring costs down by allowing people to purchase less expensive prescriptions out of Canada and Booker voted "No" along with the Republicans.

Screw Booker. He doesn't even understand.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...nate-democrats

Any national aspirations he may have had are gone.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:01 AM

57,321 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I guess not all lawyers are good at operating a city that doesn't have a third-world standard of living.

I am sure there are mayors with out college degrees that run much better cities than Newark, NJ.

Many of these education liberals who run cities just complicate everything and make them less efficient as that is what alot of the elites do. They complicate simple solutions.

I guess being indoctrinated by liberal professors for many years and being good at manipulation and made-up rosy speeches doesn't really make a politician operate the city that they are mayor of better.

Always entertaining when liberals tout all these educational credentials they have but can't operate their cities efficiently and have third-world conditions in many areas under their watch.

I have always wondered why these Rhode Scholars like Eric Garcetti and Cory Booker are unable to solve their cities issues.
The problems in cities like Newark are complicated although Corey Booker and Mark Zukerberg have tried to move forward. Gina Raimondo another Rhode Scholar has done a great job as governor of Rhode Island. You seem to have an aversion to people with education painting them all as elites and unable to function as leaders.

Cities have their problems but as pointed out in the book and in statistics, the poverty and lack of an economy in places like Appalachia are multi-generational. You should read the book if for no other reason than JD's tremendous success story, if not for a strong grand mother he could have easily ended up stuck in the cycle.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:25 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Stop digging, it's just sad at this point.
It is, so please stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies