Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 02:42 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Fl shooter fell through the cracks because of that program - which makes the program a fail.
Provide a link to back up your claim that this kid would have been in jail or somehow prevented from killing his classmates if not for the program you refer to. I see no mention of him being in such a program.

Actually, it appears that if any program was culpable, it was the one backed by the NRA...

KILLER’S GUN PASSION BACKED BY NRA
The troubled teen also excelled in an air-rifle marksmanship program supported by a grant from the National Rifle Association Foundation, part of a multimillion-dollar effort by the gun group to support youth shooting clubs and other programs.
Florida school shooting: Nikolas Cruz cut arms on Snapchat, was unstable at home, made Instagram threats

Old 05-23-2018, 03:36 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So you have an issue with someone using FACTS when they destroy your argument? Why am I not surprised?
But you're not using facts.

More people are killed by guns each year then are killed by blunt objects. Repeating the opposite as "fact" over and over again does not actually make it true.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Again, yet another excuse.

Mass schooling, mental health, video games etc etc etc

Blame literally anything except the proliferation of guns.
The proliferation of guns has coincided with dramatic DROPS in the homicide and nonfatal gun crimes rates. 50% reduction in the homicide rate. 76% reduction in the nonfatal gun crimes rate. Both declines happened as gun ownership increased by 50%.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:14 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
You don't seem to understand, the Firearms Amendment Act was an AMENDMENT, before 97 there were laws in this country that meant people didn't own guns like in the US, you see the more guns there are around the more people are going to DIE, that is the point. People in the UK are allowed to own guns but there are REGULATIONS (just like traffic regulations are in place to minimise road traffic accidents), and these REGULATIONS mean you can't wander around Tesco's with your rifle slung over your shoulder. And hey presto the amount of people dying in countries with regulations is MASSIVELY less than in the US. Like I've said before, it ain't rocket science. Why not try doing something about it over there instead of the (quite frankly) pathetic excuses gun nuts come out with (freedom etc) PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR LIVES (OFTEN KIDS) IN BIG NUMBERS BECAUSE OF THIS STUPIDITY.
No I understand better than you because I was directly affected by the 1997 Act, we're you?

The rest is completely irrelevant, the UKs data shows no benefit to homicide rates from either the 1988 Firearms Amendment act, nor the 1997 Firearms Amendment act. Indeed since the 90s the UK homicide rates have been increasing to a peak in 2003 and general fall (but not to pre-1997 levels) since then. By comparison the US over that same period has seen falls of 50% or more.

I get it, you think guns are bad, that's fine, but the data does not demonstrate increased controls (which the US has also, the 1934 NFA, 1968 GCA, etc.) have had any positive outcome.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:57 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I fail to see why we shouldn't count suicides and accidents in the total amount of people killed by guns? Makes me laugh when you proudly pronounce 11'000 murders as some kind of 'acceptable' number too!
Because the topic is not about suicides, it's about homicides. Does that clear it up for you?

Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 AM

28,903 posts, read 30,284,252 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but I fail to see why we shouldn't count suicides and accidents in the total amount of people killed by guns? Makes me laugh when you proudly pronounce 11'000 murders as some kind of 'acceptable' number too!
Because the problem that has surfaced isn't about suicides or accidents with guns, it's solely about mass murders in schools with guns. Understand?

If your troubleshooting a car with a break problem that is killing people, you don't count accidents by, lets call it, texting while driving. They are only troubleshooting the break problem....

Old 05-23-2018, 06:14 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Fail....key word

Suicide != Homicide != Accident

Old 05-23-2018, 06:30 AM

482 posts, read 242,617 times
Default How do we actually stop school shootings?

I see a lot of threads on this forum in regards to ideas that could actually stop school shootings, so I thought that I would break some of these ideas down from the perspective of someone that's not too partisan or politically charged. I'm sure someone will look up my posting history and claim that I'm partisan because I think Trump actually isn't that bad of a POTUS, but for what it's worth, I can attest to being an independent voter that has supported both Republicans and Democrats in both local and national elections.

Armed security: I'm indifferent on this. Some have even suggested that we hire combat veterans to patrol our schools. Providing that said armed security has completed some form of standardized training for the job, I have no problem with this providing the decision is not made at the state of federal level. I would rather see legit police presence in schools though. I think having specialized law enforcement for schools is important for multiple reasons. One of the bigger ones would be to improve relations between the police and the general public. A positive experience with LE during one's formative years can have lasting effects. I would also like to see K9 units in schools to reduce the presents of drugs. If Johnny gang-banger knew that there was a big German Shepard that was going to ruin his day every time he brought his product on campus, I think it would help reduce drug culture at least while kids were on school property.

Arming teachers: As someone that has legally carried a gun for decades, I don't think this is a good idea without serious training for MOST teachers. With that being said, I feel it should be an educators right to carry a concealed firearm on the job providing he/she has completed a legit training course specifically designed for teachers that wish to carry. It should be a much more intense training program than your standard carry course in most states. It should be something that involves several months of training and testing or maybe even a graduate degree program which involves a specialized academy designed for a hybrid position that also significantly increases an educators pay scale. Educators which hold this title should also be required to take part in more training and testing for the remainder of their careers to keep their license just like LE.

Reducing entrances: Some have suggested that only having 2 entrances to a school with security along with multiple fire exits could help. This almost seems like common sense; however, there will always be the threat of a shooter having a classmate let them into a fire exit. At least in said scenario, security or staff could be alerted of a security breach. I support reducing entrances to schools for this reason.

Gun control: In short, it doesn't work unless you take it to the next level. The United States simply has too many guns bolstered by a huge gun culture for gun control to work. The only type of gun control that will make a difference would be the type you see on countries like France, Australia or Japan. Adopting said gun policies is another conversation, as it would be the biggest decision this country has made since the 13th amendment. The current system that is set in place in countries like Canada or some Latin America countries would do very little to discourage a potential active shooter. I suppose that if you banned certain weapons, it would eventually have an effect, but there are just so many of these weapons in circulation, and as we have seen in some of these shootings like Columbine or this latest shooting in TX, your standard hunting shotgun is more than capable of being effectively used in a mass shooting. Banning firearms like the AR-15, AK-47, or Mini-14 would do very little despite the fact that I personally feel they have no place in the civilian world.

Mental illness: This is a big one IMO. Policies need to change. Schools should be informed of students with histories of mental illness or violence outside of school. Threats need to be taken seriously. When kids say stupid things on social media, they need to be sat down with local law enforcement and evaluated. There should be more programs in schools to educate students on mental illness and when it's time to report a possible threat. As we have seen in several of these shootings, there where students that weren't surprised in the least. Had said students gone to school staff and reported said threats, there could have been different outcomes possibly.

What are your thoughts? What are your ideas? Regardless of how any of us feel, something needs to change. This is unacceptable in a 1st world nation.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,771 times
Very well thought out points. I agree with you on all points. I would add that even if we restrict the entrances to two (or even one) - then the "kill zone" becomes the area that the students collect as they queue into that entrance, well before there are weapons checks/metal detectors. There really isn't a good and effective solution. I would suggest that we stop giving teenagers and young adults so much down time and give them something to do. Give them a purpose. This won't solve it (by its self), but it can go a long way nevertheless. Young men need an outlet for their sense of rebellion and sense of adventure (and all the negative that can go with these things). If you can't vent, you improvise. Some people are improvising is a very negative way. This may only be a factor with a small portion (or even a large one), but - by no means everyone. Not to mention the constitutionality of what I am suggesting is probably a no-go . . . Just a thought.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
I said this on another thread here, Maybe its not possible to stop these things, while at the same time, ensuring none of our rights under the 2nd are changed or taken away?

'Freedom is not free' comes to mind...safety and security were never guaranteed in the US, but freedom and liberty were!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies