Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 07:02 AM

482 posts, read 242,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah a pre-crime unit of sorts. What could possibly go wrong there?
^ politically charged/extremist

And the crazy right has checked in! How long before the extreme left shows up......tic toc

Old 05-23-2018, 07:02 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
School shootings happen because something happened to a student at the school and he felt the only thing he could do was to bring a gun in to kill.

How does someone reach such a tipping point into madness?

His anger might be aimed at a teacher, fellow students, peer pressure, endless bullying, a girl that wouldn't go out with him, the list is endless.

What does seem to be lacking in most of these shootings is the shooter lacks coping skills, he is angry that life is not fair and he will take out his anger on the world in a "I will show them" fury of fire. They feel that their life is worthless and "going out" in a blaze of glory in a all or nothing moment is justified. I can't help but think that violent video games and movies fuel this type of mentality.

Of course easy access to guns need to addressed. How many times have we heard a parent of a shooter say that he had no idea his son would do something like that. Of course kids are good at hiding their depression, anger and even drug addiction so hiding a plot to murder is hard to spot.

Preventing school shootings starts at the school where it "takes a village" of teachers and fellow students to point out someone that might be having trouble in their lives and to get them the help they need. This might also mean a trip to the kids home by the Police to check on the gun situation.

Teaching coping skills for struggling kids that see no way out of their teenage angst filled years and team work by school staff and students is what we need. Adding security to the school would help make everyone feel a bit safer.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 AM

29,510 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's another thing, I really wish the media would simply stop naming them, showing their photo,etc. One of the big attractions for these people is the attention.
Is it ? I'm not so sure it is. If one is so full of hate and rage that they want to kill those that have done wrong to them, I highly doubt they are also thinking about notoriety.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:03 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
You ever been to a country without public schools?
I'll take the school shootings over a general population that can't read or write.
yeah because without the unsafe black holes for taxpayer money known as govt education centers, no one would learn to read or write. Hard to think outside of your state made box isnt it?

Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
,but SOME of these shootings could certainly be prevented.

You may be able stop someone from shooting up a school with a shotgun but if you eliminate that avenue perhaps they will just drive their car down the crowded sidewalk outside of the school.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:06 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
^ politically charged/extremist

And the crazy right has checked in! How long before the extreme left shows up......tic toc
Actually compulsory govt re-education is a fairly recent phenomena brought to us by extremists and supported by the polically charged such as yourself.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,188,990 times
If Americans did not have such easy access to firearms then there wouldn't be so many shootings. People just don't want to admit that's the problem or they just don't care.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
yeah because without the unsafe black holes for taxpayer money known as govt education centers, no one would learn to read or write. Hard to think outside of your state made box isnt it?
Because that 300lb woman with 5 kids from 5 dudes buying a case of Mountain Dew at Walmart is going to teach her kids how to read and write. Get real.....LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnAS3_TYcaw

Old 05-23-2018, 07:09 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Very well thought out points. I agree with you on all points. I would add that even if we restrict the entrances to two (or even one) - then the "kill zone" becomes the area that the students collect as they queue into that entrance, well before there are weapons checks/metal detectors. There really isn't a good and effective solution. I would suggest that we stop giving teenagers and young adults so much down time and give them something to do. Give them a purpose. This won't solve it (by its self), but it can go a long way nevertheless. Young men need an outlet for their sense of rebellion and sense of adventure (and all the negative that can go with these things). If you can't vent, you improvise. Some people are improvising is a very negative way. This may only be a factor with a small portion (or even a large one), but - by no means everyone. Not to mention the constitutionality of what I am suggesting is probably a no-go . . . Just a thought.
Be careful with limited entrances. that also means limited exits...……..If there is a fire that may mean more deaths from a fire...…...

Old 05-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You may be able stop someone from shooting up a school with a shotgun but if you eliminate that avenue perhaps they will just drive their car down the crowded sidewalk outside of the school.
I'm referring to the act, not the tool. People dead set on killing will kill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies