Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Okay, so you agree those bans are acceptable?

Since they weren't originally outlined in the 2nd Amendment, do you believe that there can be other restrictions added--perhaps for things/technologies that didn't exist when they were enacted?
Guys, don't let her guide you down the slippery slope. You all see where she's going with this, yes? All or nothing, you can restrict nothing or you can restrict everything. Discuss that with her if you want but do yourselves a favor and don't let her lead you by the nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Because you don't represent everyone. You can't have nice things because others have ruined it for you. And as long as there are people who will victimize others, that's how it's going to be. Don't like it? Go somewhere else.
Yeah democrat named Bill Hughes of new jersey.
Everything Dems touch turns to crap.
Like health insurance...

Old 05-30-2018, 10:40 AM

50,291 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Okay, so you agree those bans are acceptable?

Since they weren't originally outlined in the 2nd Amendment, do you believe that there can be other restrictions added--perhaps for things/technologies that didn't exist when they were enacted?
The assault weapons ban of 94 was allowed to expire because there was no evidence it reduced crime, much the less gun crime. So no, I don't think those bans are acceptable. But, it really wasn't a ban. I bought ARs and AKs all the while that ban was in place because it was an easy work around. There is an assault weapons ban here in CA yet I can still buy a slightly modified one that has the exact same function. These laws are useless. A felon can walk into any gun store and buy all the parts for an AR or 1911 no questions asked. They can be shooting at the range in one hour.

page on https://turners.com/info/weekly-ad

I'm fine with NICS even though it needs work. Bans are s-t-u-p-i-d

Don't kid yourself. The only thing that will disarm the public is door to door confiscation. Bans won't do squat. You'll need armed door kickers.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'd love to just agree to disagree but your view is to enact laws that will force me to abide by your view.

That is why you have to engage in discussion, so we can find common ground. I don't think that every individual has the right to own (I'm talking private citizen here) any weapon we can conceive of. That's too much, too far. If you can't compromise to say there is some point where enough is enough, then we'll get nowhere.

You are imposing your view on me, you know. It's the same, no matter what side you're looking from. Why is it okay for you to do that?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:42 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
See, now, that sounds really reasonable. And you didn't have to call me any names to say it.

I don't disagree that individuals have rights to own guns. I don't think it's unlimited, and we need to address it or we're headed to a place where it will be all or nothing. All won't work. I don't think it should be nothing.
Well thats pretty much where we are today, those things like RPGs and more destructive are already limited. So from my perspective, there is no room left to go on "gun control" other than enforcing existing laws and really examining why HS / College kids are significantly lacking in the ability to cope with every day life.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Yeah democrat named Bill Hughes of new jersey.
Everything Dems touch turns to crap.
Like health insurance...

Why do have to deflect like this? Why?

You can't stay on topic, and that makes me think you have nothing of substance to say. If you do, say it. Don't insult me. Don't deflect. Don't bring in something completely unrelated. It's a really juvenile thing to do.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Well thats pretty much where we are today, those things like RPGs and more destructive are already limited. So from my perspective, there is no room left to go on "gun control" other than enforcing existing laws and really examining why HS / College kids are significantly lacking in the ability to cope with every day life.

Okay, but do you know that there are efforts to allow concealed carry on college campuses? Not just faculty/staff/visitors, but students, too? All of those students that are of legal age, that significantly lack the ability to cope with daily life--they would be allowed to carry if they qualify.

I work on a campus. That is a disaster waiting to happen. And on our campus, you can check your hunting guns into campus police and sign them out when you want to use them. You cannot bring them onto campus-proper, but you are allowed to have them accessible. I'm fine with that.

So what about my concern about guns that allow for multiple shots for maximum damage--I have a legitimate concern about it. How do you suggest we move forward?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:52 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Okay, but do you know that there are efforts to allow concealed carry on college campuses? Not just faculty/staff/visitors, but students, too? All of those students that are of legal age, that significantly lack the ability to cope with daily life--they would be allowed to carry if they qualify.

I work on a campus. That is a disaster waiting to happen. And on our campus, you can check your hunting guns into campus police and sign them out when you want to use them. You cannot bring them onto campus-proper, but you are allowed to have them accessible. I'm fine with that.

So what about my concern about guns that allow for multiple shots for maximum damage--I have a legitimate concern about it. How do you suggest we move forward?
As long as background checks are in place and people with issues are being properly treated/reported/documented, I have zero problem. I think concealed carry should be allowed. If your hypothesis is that someone isn't stable enough to carry, then they have plenty of other issues and shouldn't be allowed around the general public.

I don't share your concern about guns that allow for multiple shots for maximum damage. I suggest we move forward by addressing the people/criminals not the tool.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:52 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Earlier in this thread, my sincerity regarding this matter was called into question. I don't feel a need to defend myself. But I do have something to share that illustrates why this movement matters to so many of us.

Last night, my idiot neighbors decided 2am was a great time to set off some fireworks. My daughter, who is 13, woke, terrified that it was gunfire. This is such a weight on her mind, constantly. When we recently went to a large public park, she was scared that it might be targeted by a shooter. Come on, why does she have to worry about this? And don't tell me it's not about the guns. It's about a lot of things, but that includes freaking guns!

My daughter, and a lot of her peers, see David Hogg and Emily Gonzalez as role models, my friends. This is not going away because you call some young people some names and wish harm to come to them. That is not going to stop this movement.

I will say again, I am a gun owner, and I am willing to give up a lot more if it helps prevent even one school shooting. Just one.
Quite the sob story. Here's the thing... Blacks commit a highly disproportionate percentage of violent crimes, which is why some people prejudge and fear coming into close proximity with Blacks. They'll cross the street if a Black man, etc., approaches or is coming into proximity, and avoid going into/through Black neighborhoods even if it means they have to go WAY out of their way.

Of course, not all Blacks commit violent crimes, only a percentage of them do. But some people judge all of them based on their race, alone. Most people call that discrimination, and call that out as wrong. Now, the left is doing exactly the same thing to gun owners. It's also discrimination, and wrong.

Get the point?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Guys, don't let her guide you down the slippery slope. You all see where she's going with this, yes? All or nothing, you can restrict nothing or you can restrict everything. Discuss that with her if you want but do yourselves a favor and don't let her lead you by the nose.

That's not true, not at all. I'm trying to have a conversation, that's all. I am not an all or nothing person. I believe private citizens should be allowed to own guns. But if the ONLY argument back is that it's got to be ALL--then I'll happily give up some of my rights.

Why the paranoia? I'm not like you. I don't need to make someone small to get my point across.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies