Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 AM

11,365 posts, read 9,278,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
So the drug that is probably most responsible for homelessness should be legal.
No, that is probably the drug alcohol.

Highly doubt you can prove the statement you just made. Most marijuana users are productive members of society but the stereotypes of the reefer madness crowd obviously has you brainwashed.

Quote:
So its better for children to be in a drugged environment than a drug-free environment. Now there’s compassion.
- No need to insult my intelligence like that. What a stupid thing to say. Not worth a further comment or even talking to you anymore...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 05:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
So the drug that is probably most responsible for homelessness should be legal.
What reasons, in your opinion, have lead to marijuana being most responsible for homelessness? Think about it.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,058 times
Honestly, of all the important things my kids can learn though school, home, and society, I hope their greatest lesson is compassion. It is sorely lacking in present day America.

Answer me this, OP, does your "solution" to the homeless problem stem from your concern for their wellbeing or is it some sort of misguided attempt to save yourself some tax dollars? Don't answer, I'm sure it's all about you.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,901,981 times
For most homeless, their drug of choice is alcohol.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:50 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Legislators who enact drug-testing regulations should first be tested themselves.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
I'd lean towards getting them off the streets and then getting them clean. I think positive reinforcement will work better than negative. I'm not saying put them in a house and give them furniture but get them into a program and help them get cleaned up. Seeing that there is something better can be a powerful motivator.

Unfortunately, there are lots of them who are either too far gone or just have no desire to change. Those, whatever percentage they may be, I don't think there is much you can do for them.

I'd much rather spend money getting these people help than being world police at the level we are. I would much rather see this kind of program be privately administered with some restrictions put in place to prevent it turning into a top-heavy ATM.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:06 AM

25,841 posts, read 16,519,439 times
It shouldn’t be voluntary. If you are living in public spaces you should be scooped up and evaluated medically and psychologically. Not just allowed to wallow in your own filth.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
For most homeless, their drug of choice is alcohol.
Heroin makes alot of people homeless today too. People spend EVERY bit of their money on the drug and do not pay any other bills, once they are on the street, they usually resort to crime or prostitution to pay for their habit.

I completely disagree with any kind of drug testing for homeless people, there are no 'good homeless' and 'bad homeless' people, they are all in the same boat imo...reached rock bottom.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Your verbiage and position on this topic make it clear you know very little about homelessness and drug addiction.

Indeed.

The "bad" homeless... you must mean those mentally ill and addicted to some substance? The very ones who need the most support should be what...turned away, left without food and occasional shelter??

Old 06-01-2018, 07:17 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,135 times
They tried idiocy like this in right-wing Florida. It cost the state more money in testing than was saved by "homeless scamming the gubermint."

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/u...rug-tests.html

Get with the times: the poor are not all master scammers "working the system" - for that, turn to people like Trump, who are wealthy and never accountable for anything.

As for the homeless, a huge chunk of them need mental health care on top of drug treatment programs. People generally do not CHOOSE to be homeless, but if your mental health issues are bad enough, you may have no choice.

Typical righties: a total lack of empathy and a sick eagerness to save money over lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies