Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 11:38 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to make this about religion or the absence of it, but not all people of faith are this vicious and cruel. Honestly, I think the kind of social Darwinism being proposed here - let them starve - is sinful. Since someone, the OP, I believe, spoke of the sins of drug users, let's talk about what is much, much worse: turning one's back on human suffering.

I am sick to death of mean-spirited people giving all Christians a bad name. Go dust off your Bible, and check out how Jesus said we are to treat the poor and broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,069,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I don't mean to make this about religion or the absence of it, but not all people of faith are this vicious and cruel. Honestly, I think the kind of social Darwinism being proposed here - let them starve - is sinful. Since someone, the OP, I believe, spoke of the sins of drug users, let's talk about what is much, much worse: turning one's back on human suffering.

I am sick to death of mean-spirited people giving all Christians a bad name. Go dust off your Bible, and check out how Jesus said we are to treat the poor and broken.
Many "Christians" it would appear are not acquainted with this "Jesus" person. I bet many of them are scratching their heads wondering who the heck that dude you're talking about is.

It's obvious that many of the phony Christians posting here are not intimately acquainted with Christ, and it's obvious that they certainly never read any of his words. Either that or they have absolutely no comprehension of them. Yet they call themselves "Christians." They truly are CINOs.

I'd put the OP in that category for sure.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Or, how about if we waive the drug test one time for each drug dealer they turn in?

I think I like that idea!

Old 06-01-2018, 01:35 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,633,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Homeless people should be required to get drug tested to recieve any kind of charity...this would include shelters, soup kitchens, any government handout etc. Any homeless charity that doesn't drug test should lose any federal funding they recieve and their tax exempt status.

There are two reasons drug testing the homeless is vital. The first reason is it would insure that the "good" homeless...the non-drug abusers who fell on hard times, will get served. The other reason is that helping the drug using homeless enables them to continue their degenerate lifestyle. These addicts need to hit rock bottom for them to change their sinful ways.

LOL. "sinful" ways. Jesus would have a few words to set you straight mate.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:36 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,585,284 times
Quote:
Or, how about if we waive the drug test one time for each drug dealer they turn in?
dayum... Post of the week.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:41 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Quote:
The doctor or the pharmacist or the drug company?

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...-prescriptions

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...pioids-n873961

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/19/how-...ur-charts.html

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0116144212.htm

Old 06-01-2018, 01:50 PM

23,961 posts, read 15,066,841 times
OP, before you get any more ideas on the homeless, do yourself a favor. A few years ago Malcomb Gladwell wrote a book , What the Dog Saw.

Get a copy and read the chapter Million Dollar Murray. You will learn what we now do is a waste of resources. There are better, cheaper and much more compassionate ways to help the homeless.

And they do not depend on making politicians like the one in Florida a bunch of money. IIRC, he was the governor or some such. His wife owned the company that did the drug testing on Florida residents getting benefits.

Old 06-01-2018, 01:52 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times
Quote:
Homeless people should be required to get drug tested to recieve any kind of charity...this would include shelters, soup kitchens, any government handout etc. Any homeless charity that doesn't drug test should lose any federal funding they recieve and their tax exempt status.

There are two reasons drug testing the homeless is vital. The first reason is it would insure that the "good" homeless...the non-drug abusers who fell on hard times, will get served. The other reason is that helping the drug using homeless enables them to continue their degenerate lifestyle. These addicts need to hit rock bottom for them to change their sinful ways.
The practice of drug testing recipients of any kind of social aid from all levels of government have never proven to be cost effective.

Simply put -- they cost more than the money they end up savings.

It is a symbolic gesture that does little to actually impact the financial stability of a welfare program.

So if you are about spending money to take some moral high ground -- then yes drug testing anyone who gets welfare benefits is a good idea.

If it really is about economics -- it's a total waste of money.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Quote:

Charities are private entities that exist to help those who cannot help themselves and for those who experience barriers to receiving compassionate medical care, mental health care, prescription medications, food, and shelter.

A large percentage of homeless persons have serious mental health issues and the addictions are a result of self-medicating to relieve the symptoms of the same. The homeless are largely spurned by institutions. Recovery is a slippery slope.
Homelessness can happen to anyone at any time without warning. The next time you see a homeless person think to yourself "There but for the grace of God, go I".
Then stop and buy them a meal.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Who will drug test the drug testers?

Who will drug test the drug tester's testers? Who will drug test the drug testers drug testing the drug tester's drug testers?!?!

MY GOD WHERE DOES IT END?!?!?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies