Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2018, 07:14 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I guess one can be proud of their gullibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmrd1MbNkFs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 11:11 AM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I guess one can be proud of their gullibility.
I don’t understand why you think AGW is some kind of conspiracy.

First of all, accepting the physical reality of AGW in no way obligates any kind of political action. If there’s no economical way to prevent AGW, we will simply have to adapt. We will have to abandon places like south Florida, New Orleans, and other pow-lying areas. Air conditioning will become as critical to survival as central heating in the northern states is now. All outdoor work will have to be done between midnight and 8 am in the summer. Societies without access to AC might have to live underground. Special bioengineered crops will be needed to survive extreme heat and drought. And so forth.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:21 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I was in Rapid City, SD in July 1973 when it hit 110° (link to historical data). Now that's rare. Though I was 16 at the time I didn't exactly panic either.
There have always been weather extremes, these were formerly classified as anomalies. Now they are common and reoccur every year, and as records indicate, the occurrences are usually more intense than the previous year. This pattern is the result of climate change, and it aint going away.

What were once normal temperatures, and normal rainfall amounts, are now going to be the anomaly.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post

First of all, accepting the physical reality of AGW in no way obligates any kind of political action. If there’s no economical way to prevent AGW, we will simply have to adapt. We will have to abandon places like south Florida, New Orleans, and other pow-lying areas. Air conditioning will become as critical to survival as central heating in the northern states is now. All outdoor work will have to be done between midnight and 8 am in the summer. Societies without access to AC might have to live underground. Special bioengineered crops will be needed to survive extreme heat and drought. And so forth.
But many of those in charge think the US should pay for all of it.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 AM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:

First of all, accepting the physical reality of AGW in no way obligates any kind of political action. If there’s no economical way to prevent AGW, we will simply have to adapt.
You should be right but I don't think you are. The AGW advocates hold international conference after international conference. Some with the inestimable help of scientists such as Bon Jovi and Elton John (link).Think these, listed below (source and source):
There are others prior to 1995, including notably Lima in 1992. You can be sure if that kind of money is being expended they are going to insist on "action", on the U.S.'s dime, of course.
Quote:
We will have to abandon places like south Florida, New Orleans, and other pow-lying areas. Air conditioning will become as critical to survival as central heating in the northern states is now. All outdoor work will have to be done between midnight and 8 am in the summer. Societies without access to AC might have to live underground. Special bioengineered crops will be needed to survive extreme heat and drought. And so forth.
I don't think that's likely. I think the whole thing is a crock of male cattle excrement.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,048,990 times
Quote:

OK, I’m starting to like where this is going. Adaptation is a good response. If the scientists were advocating for the betterment of humanity utilizing technology and innovation in response to climate change, and not coming up with redistributive schemes that move us toward collectivism, I might be less inclined to impute ill will to them.

I have never thought this was a conscious conspiracy. I have always thought it was an ideology. I don’t think climate scientists conspire, I think they independently and innocently come up with their conclusions colored by collectivist redistributive ideology.

The thing is, they should not be coming up with any solutions at all. That’s not their pay grade or their training or their function. Report the data, report the conclusions. Let free societies come up with free solutions based on being rationally persuaded and figuring out how to make money off of it.

Capitalism will solve this, not coercion, and not redistribution.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:35 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,515,659 times
There's not a whole lot can be done with China's 1.3 billion people marching relentlessly towards a consumer lifestyle with India's 1.2 billion in hot pursuit. Not to mention Africans having three times the kids of most other countries. People want to think there's a solution "if we just act now" but they're just whistling through the graveyard. If it were to be prevented it should have happened a hundred years ago, but that would have been impossible. I'm not saying we should do nothing, by all means try to find less polluting and wasteful ways to live, but its kind of like closing the barn door after the horse got out.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:06 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Name one person that thinks that.

For every dollar that the US spends on renewable energy, China is spending three, making it by far the leading investor in renewable energy around the world, according to an analysis by the United Nations.

Last edited by sanspeur; 07-26-2018 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 01:14 PM

35,084 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Name one person that thinks that.
When you read the Paris Climate Accords there's a nifty section on financing the Climate Adjustment Fund. Conveniently the U.S. is the only likely contributor.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:26 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When you read the Paris Climate Accords there's a nifty section on financing the Climate Adjustment Fund. Conveniently the U.S. is the only likely contributor.
China is already paying three times as much as the US for climate mitigation, while Trump continues to deny that AGW is even happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies