Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 04:25 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,545,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
He lost his life because a pseudo tough guy, who made it a regular practice to harass people in the store parking lot, finally got exactly what he was hoping for, a chance to pull his gun and shoot someone. You know that's what he was hoping for because he had been harassing people in that parking lot for a long time.
It seems an odd ting to do if his only motivation was to shoot someone. The flip side to this is as a disabled person, I appreciate someone looking after folks who park illegally. I wish he hadn't been assaulted though. That would have saved the other guy's life and not left three kids fatherless.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It seems an odd ting to do if his only motivation was to shoot someone. The flip side to this is as a disabled person, I appreciate someone looking after folks who park illegally. I wish he hadn't been assaulted though. That would have saved the other guy's life and not left three kids fatherless.
I think a lot of people who carry picture themselves as some sort of modern day vigilante. We see that kind of swagger here all the time. That's how this guy comes across to me.

I am not dismissing handicapped people, nor do I condone anyone parking in a handicapped spot who is not handicapped.

But this man had no authority to run around that parking lot, day after day, playing at being an LE. And this certainly never should have risen to the level of someone losing their life.

This moron proved he is not responsible enough to be carrying. And now a father of three is dead and the man who killed him in cold blood will walk away, with his gun, without suffering any consequences for his actions.

I find that beyond disturbing.

11,201 posts, read 9,101,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
So, let me get this straight OP

If a guy is harassing your girlfriend and you shove him, this is unjustified?

If a guy shoves you and you shoot and kill him, this is justified?

That’s the world you want to live in? That’s your utopia?
The old guy was arguing with the girlfriend. This guy just exists the store and without any words being exchange pushes him to the ground. He walks towards him and stands above him while the old guy is on the floor. The Equalizing moment was when he pulled his gun out. The girlfriend and the guy backed off. Now, imagine if the guy didn't have a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ugh -- I've been pushed harder by old people who think they own the sidewalk.
You have been pushed down to the ground by old people??

The whole incident is less than 10 seconds. The pushdown to the ground, the gun being pulled out and the shot.

45,676 posts, read 24,061,344 times
Quote:
I hear you -- so you say something like -- Excuse me-- a handicapped person could be inconvenienced by the fact you chose to illegally park here -- and walk away -- you don't badger the person.

What if the person in the car had shot him first -- saying they felt threatened. How would you all feel about that?

Old 07-21-2018, 04:36 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,587,578 times
Quote:

The guy was nuts - he was armed and looking for trouble; he was not old (47); he has done this before - reportedly threatening to shoot a trucker parked in the same HC spot last month.

He was shoved, no blows were exchanged; he then shot a man (a father protecting his wife and children) who was standing still with his arms down.

He is going to get away with murder and hopefully he spends the rest of his miserable life being plagued by lawsuits. Most Jury's would probably convict based on the video and witness testimonies.

This is a travesty of justice.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The shooter started the trouble, and it wasn't the first time. Florida law is messed up.
Nope, sorry. There could be a very good reason that he's looking for decals or placards and asking why people are parking there - maybe a friend, a parent, sibling, other family, whatever. He is asking why people are parking there and in this particular story, the OTHER guy slammed him to the ground for asking a question.

Do we even know how he asked that question? Are we assuming he was aggressive and in their face and yelling? Or was he simply asking, "Why are you parking here, you aren't handicapped." According to some people, that is grounds for people to get into physical altercations with him.

The second story is hearsay. We don't know the actual facts, we only know what a shopkeeper said. Hardly enough to convict someone.

After being on a short vacation with a friend from college who was wheelchair bound and seeing what she had to go through just to do the tiniest of things that we all take for granted, and after seeing how difficult it is for my sister to walk far or up/down steps because of her MS, I have a big problem with selfish people who park in the handicap spots when they are perfectly physically fine. It's not for them.

By the way, both my friend in college and my sister got remarks made at them for parking in those spots. My friend in college had a sticker on her license, not a card that hangs from the rearview mirror. We were in Canada, on vacation, and went into a fast food place to get something to eat. When we came out, someone had left her a nasty note about parking in the handicap spot. She laughed about it. I really hope that person who wrote the note saw her in her wheelchair when we came out. But the point is, she didn't get even the slightest bit upset.

My sister gets dirty looks and stares all the time because you can't always "see" MS. She does have a card that hangs on the rearview mirror, but people still give her angry glares. She, too, doesn't even let it bother her.

The people getting angry enough to slam the guy into the ground over something like this know they are doing wrong. That's why they got so defensive.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:43 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,645,764 times
Sorry kids, but you don't get to knock someone down just because they're giant pains in the arse and questioning what you're doing when you're doing something illegal.

I don't think the shooting was justified, but parking in a handicapped spot and excusing it away, leaving your kids in a store unattended, and pushing a man down shows a blatant disregard for laws in any regard.

To me, it looked like he was walking toward the man until he saw the man reach for something and only then did he retreat.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:00 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
It was in close quarters. If the victim was standing over the aggressor or the aggressor was walking away, then you'd have a point. It was a good shot.

wtf does him not being a saint, in your eyes, have to do with it? lol

It's about the rights of the individual.
Apparently some people think that you lose all of your rights if someone, somewhere, at sometime said that you were an ahole.

Well...I'm pretty sure that every single person on this forum has been an ahole at one point in their lives...so, I guess no rights for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I am willing to bet my farm that if a similar situation involved a Proud Boy member who violently shoved an Antifa member to the ground, and the Antifa member pulled out a weapon and killed the Proud Boy member, the same people on this thread blindly supporting the shooter calling it 'self defense' and 'standing your ground,' would then be calling for the Antifa member's head ("how DARE he use deadly force to execute another innocent human being," "give him the death penalty").

You can keep rolling your eyes, but you would be wrong. First of all, the situation isn't even the same. Antitwits and Proud Boys and whoever else shows up, all have a pretty good idea that there's going to be violence because some people can't handle a different opinion and want to shut it down, with violence. Second of all, IF someone from the Proud Boys or whomever else shows up that is not antitwits, actually threw the first punch, then of course the other party, (even idiotic antidorks), has the right to defend themselves. But that's not usually how it goes at those rallies so do, carry on with your ridiculous assumptions over things that don't happen.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:02 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The guy was nuts - he was armed and looking for trouble; he was not old (47); he has done this before - reportedly threatening to shoot a trucker parked in the same HC spot last month.

He was shoved, no blows were exchanged; he then shot a man (a father protecting his wife and children) who was standing still with his arms down.

He is going to get away with murder and hopefully he spends the rest of his miserable life being plagued by lawsuits. Most Jury's would probably convict based on the video and witness testimonies.

Sure, in sane states. But we've already seen that in Florida, all they need do is claim they were "standing their ground," and they get away with it.

You can shoot someone in cold blood in Florida and they will pat you on the head, hand you your gun back, and send you on your merry way. Just as will happen here.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:09 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,518,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post

It's not over yet. This still goes to the State's Attorney for a decision on prosecution. I won't be surprised if he does prosecute. If I was the shooter, I'd hit the road to destination unknown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies