Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 05:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I hear you -- so you say something like -- Excuse me-- a handicapped person could be inconvenienced by the fact you chose to illegally park here -- and walk away -- you don't badger the person.

What if the person in the car had shot him first -- saying they felt threatened. How would you all feel about that?
That all depends. Yeah in a perfect Utopian society, a polite conversation will do the job every time. In our's? Ignorance abounds. If I had a dollar for every time I saw people use a handicap spot. They shouldn't have to be confronted, all drivers know.

So we dont know what the conversation entailed. Perhaps it started out as excuse me but you have parked in a handicap space. The woman's reply might have been shove that handicapper up your arse. The conversation escalates from there . I dont know.

Do I think the man who was shot should have died? NO. I also think that when you run up and push someone down to the ground you are begging for some kind of retaliation. That is absolutely a sure way to escalate any argument into a physical confrontation or worse.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:35 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I hear you -- so you say something like -- Excuse me-- a handicapped person could be inconvenienced by the fact you chose to illegally park here -- and walk away -- you don't badger the person.

What if the person in the car had shot him first -- saying they felt threatened. How would you all feel about that?
In this day and age saying anything to anyone about any issue is tantamount to playing with fire. If someone is not actively being hurt, stay out of it. I disdain the level of day-to-day rudeness I've witnessed as much as the next person but in the end it's not worth me being hurt or hurting someone else.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:38 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
He just wanted to be polite, if I understand the OP correctly.
LOL. That's all. My son is moving to Floriduh from Chicago and I will worry about him ten times more in Floriduh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The shooter started the trouble, and it wasn't the first time. Florida law is messed up.
So true! The shooter instigated the whole thing - THEN thought he might lose a fight so he took out a gun and killed someone.

Brilliant, Florida. Just brilliant.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Sure, in sane states. But we've already seen that in Florida, all they need do is claim they were "standing their ground," and they get away with it.

You can shoot someone in cold blood in Florida and they will pat you on the head, hand you your gun back, and send you on your merry way. Just as will happen here.
If you are going to live in a State like that it would be wise to understand the laws. Manners would also help huh.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
LOL. That's all. My son is moving to Floriduh from Chicago and I will worry about him ten times more in Floriduh.

So true! The shooter instigated the whole thing - THEN thought he might lose a fight so he took out a gun and killed someone.

Brilliant, Florida. Just brilliant.
Well that's one interpretation.

So your in Chicago and run up and push a perfect stranger to the ground. Not a small shove. Not a bump, but plow them to the ground and you are saying. "Nope in Chicago that will never result in a shooting?" I call BS because Chicago can't go a weekend with out turning into a war zone.

Yes the shooter instigated it by confronting an ignorant ass for parking in a handicap slot. The same people saying that are also saying ANTIFA is right for destroying private property. BLM is right for rioting and looting, and the Weather underground was a great org.

You violently knock someone to the ground you are flat out begging for a retaliation. On what planet, in what reality would anyone thing it wouldn't have a bad end?

Old 07-21-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you are going to live in a State like that it would be wise to understand the laws. Manners would also help huh.
Pretty much.

In this day and age you don't know what will happen just confronting, let alone committing an assault.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:53 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,619,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sorry kids, but you don't get to knock someone down just because they're giant pains in the arse and questioning what you're doing when you're doing something illegal.

I don't think the shooting was justified, but parking in a handicapped spot and excusing it away, leaving your kids in a store unattended, and pushing a man down shows a blatant disregard for laws in any regard.

To me, it looked like he was walking toward the man until he saw the man reach for something and only then did he retreat.
Look, I tend to agree with you, but here is where I am having a problem.

Say I am going to pummel someone, and they know I am capable of doing so (mirrors this situation based on size, age, etc.).
If they pull out a gun, that is a great equalizer, hence the reason people recommend women and defenseless people legally carry to protect themselves.
So say I back off, knowing lead is going to win the fight.
In theory, if the attacker disengages, that thwarts the need for greater defensive measures, especially lethal force.

As I said previously, it is tough to tell from the video and it's angle, but the assailant might be far enough away to not pose a threat. That is especially true when the victim pulls a gun and the assailant seems to take a step or two backwards.
Granted this is all armchair quarterbacking, but the premise of the "stand your ground" law is to protect lawful citizens from incurring harm from an aggressor.
The driver clearly was clearly the aggressor to begin with, but did he still pose an aggressive posture once the gun was brandished.
If not, then he should not have pulled the trigger.

`

Old 07-21-2018, 06:03 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Nobody's hands are clean here but at the end of the day I don't feel sorry for the guy who got shot. Why? Simple. Instead of playing it cool he chose to violently assault somebody that he assumed would not fight back or be any threat to him. (Oops.)

I suppose you don't deserve to die for shoving somebody to the ground, but where do you draw the line there realistically? If the kid had decked him and broken his nose or jaw, now is it okay to take him out? Philosophically people will obviously disagree on this one but IMO telling somebody to move out of a handicapped parking spot isn't starting a fight. Coming out and decking or shoving somebody who's telling you things you don't want to hear is starting a fight. The fact that he died from 1 gunshot wound from a small caliber handgun as also a little bit of a fluke. That doesn't usually happen unless you hit somebody just right. The fact that he only shot once (it appeared) was the clincher that he was defending himself and nothing more. If he'd emptied the magazine into him and put one in his head after he was down just for good measure that would different of course.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Look, I tend to agree with you, but here is where I am having a problem.

Say I am going to pummel someone, and they know I am capable of doing so (mirrors this situation based on size, age, etc.).
If they pull out a gun, that is a great equalizer, hence the reason people recommend women and defenseless people legally carry to protect themselves.
So say I back off, knowing lead is going to win the fight.
In theory, if the attacker disengages, that thwarts the need for greater defensive measures, especially lethal force.

As I said previously, it is tough to tell from the video and it's angle, but the assailant might be far enough away to not pose a threat. That is especially true when the victim pulls a gun and the assailant seems to take a step or two backwards.
Granted this is all armchair quarterbacking, but the premise of the "stand your ground" law is to protect lawful citizens from incurring harm from an aggressor.
The driver clearly was clearly the aggressor to begin with, but did he still pose an aggressive posture once the gun was brandished.
If not, then he should not have pulled the trigger.
Sounds like we're in agreement? I posted earlier that I was against the shooting and if he was concerned with his safety, pulling the gun out would have been good enough. To me, it looked like the guy did start walking toward him after knocking him down, but backed away when the guy started reaching for something.

My problem with this discussion is that people are blaming a guy for meddling, and while I hate guys like that, it doesn't warrant being pushed on the ground. That's my point. You don't get to knock someone down just because he's a pita busybody.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:12 PM

241 posts, read 143,502 times
In California this would be a clear cut and the shooter would be in jail for Manslaughter or some kind of Murder charge. You cannot escalate a situation in this state unless you are in imminent danger...the Stand Your Ground law is trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies