Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,720,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
First, don't park in handicapped slots. If the lot is full, then the passenger gets out to pick up the items while the driver looks for a slot or otherwise putters around.

If you do park illegally and get called out, then civilized people say, "Oops, you're right. Sorry. I'll move."

My wife and I discussed this incident this morning.

You don't argue about the right to be wrong.

And you don't put your hands on people. Especially not in Florida or Georgia or South Carolina or Texas or Arkansas or Kansas or several other states.

Now, I am always gripe when someone with a gun does anything other than avoid altercations. Any altercation can turn into a fist fight, and when you're armed, a fist fight will most likely into a gun fight. People who are armed should always avoid confrontations, but there is always a subset who get up in the morning, put on the gun, and say, "I wish some SOB would...."

Well, yeah. That's the point. That's why they're armed.

Do you expect them to just take a beating or accept being raped?

People seem not to understand that fist fights between adult males can permanently maim or kill.

The consequence is that you raise the bar of violence. It used to be that you could get robbed and just walk away. Now people who get robbed often get shot because the person being robbed my have a gun and will fire when the robber flees. I have read of local robberies where the person is SHOT FIRST then they just go for what they want. Why take the risk of a victim shooting back? The criminal acts when they have the element of surprise and there is pretty much nothing you can do at that point because there gun will be drawn and if you try to reach for it.....BANG!

When I was still living in Detroit I just assumed that EVERYONE is armed. That cuts down on a lot BS arguments and confrontation, but as a result people are much quicker to kill you, lest you kill them. I am telling you....drug dealers, gang bangers, stick up kids.....ARE USED TO THEIR OPS BEING ARMED!!!! You NEVER see these white CPL holders actually confronting REAL CRIMINALS. They would be DEAD if they did.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
This guy was shot down dead - has a 5 month old -for daring to be a nice guy....
https://www.ydr.com/story/news/crime...ent/816162002/

Police chased the man to mommas basement, where he lived.....

One dead nice guy....one live a-hole. Typical result of gun culture.

Hardly typical but you run with that. Hoplophobes, oh boy.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,109,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, such a saint.

The guy who got shot was hardly a saint either, that's why I said it's hard to root for either really, but the shooter has a history of seeking confrontation and bullying people. People like him have zero business having concealed weapons permits. Funny how his supporters seem to overlook that.

Anyways, protests soon to follow?
And not just overlook it but actually support this guy's practice of going around packing a firearm and picking fights over parking spots like he's just doing his civic duty. And I can guarantee you that there's there's not a single firearms instructor on the face of the Earth that would teach their students to go around picking fights while armed.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:56 AM

28,687 posts, read 18,829,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
One thing is pretty consistent throughout this thread. The liberals/Democrats do not seem to like a little guy like this man having the right to speak up about someone breaking the LAW or the power to defend himself.
I'm a liberal and a Democrat.

I'm also an old guy whose been assaulted more than once, nearly killed more than once, and now licensed to carry in my state.

I would neither have parked in a handicapped slot, nor would I have gotten into an argument with someone who had (especially not while armed), nor would I have laid first hands on anyone else.

But if I get knocked down hard, I know it's going to take a couple of seconds for me to process the fact that being on the ground is a life or death situation, and I'm not ready to die yet.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And not just overlook it but actually support this guy's practice of going around packing a firearm and picking fights over parking spots like he's just doing his civic duty. And I can guarantee you that there's there's not a single firearms instructor on the face of the Earth that would teach their students to go around picking fights while armed.
This is true.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The consequence is that you raise the bar of violence. It used to be that you could get robbed and just walk away. Now people who get robbed often get shot because the person being robbed my have a gun and will fire when the robber flees. I have read of local robberies where the person is SHOT FIRST then they just go for what they want. Why take the risk of a victim shooting back? The criminal acts when they have the element of surprise and there is pretty much nothing you can do at that point because there gun will be drawn and if you try to reach for it.....BANG!
Well, the last time I was mugged at gunpoint, the mugger absolutely knew I wasn't armed, but he put the gun to my right kidney and pulled the trigger anyway.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,109,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If the lady hadn't taken a handicapped spot, there wouldn't have been a shooting.
Can you name a single firearms instructor that recommends that armed citizens go around picking fights over parking spots?

Old 07-23-2018, 08:00 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
Well mom becomes sole breadwinner, mom forced to move in the worst part of town cuz that’s all she can afford, mom is at work when kids get out of school, she can’t sign them up for after school programs because the schools in her neighborhood are underfunded, kids end up being influenced by the remnant populations of decades of underinvestment due to redlining and white flight, kids get locked up, get a record, and can’t get a job....citydata posters bad mouth kids and say they should have made better choices and need to pull themselves up by their boot straps.
1. Is there any evidence the guy who was shot was employed ?

2. I'm not a woman (I'm a 6' 3"+ guy who played football, among other sports), but if I was a woman, I wouldn't date a guy who had even been arrested for aggravated assault (and this guy was arrested for aggravated assault before they started dating).

Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,720,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, the last time I was mugged at gunpoint, the mugger absolutely knew I wasn't armed, but he put the gun to my right kidney and pulled the trigger anyway.

How did he absolutely know you were not armed? Did he pat you down...check your legs and all? Sorry that it happened....though.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:04 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,873,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
And not just overlook it but actually support this guy's practice of going around packing a firearm and picking fights over parking spots like he's just doing his civic duty. ...

He hangs around the store, starting fights. Finally, someone shoves him and within seconds, he kills the man.

I am still struck by the speed at which he drew his gun and the accuracy of his shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies