Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:14 PM

32,076 posts, read 15,072,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
Always wondered this, at least back when I was more heavily in the business seemed like it was short term gain but long term would bring the company down. They'd bring in these guys from India working for peanuts but then the quality of the coding, engineering and database management would be peanuts too. Critical code riddled with errors, angry customers and clients when core products or software didn't work. So then the company later on had to wind up hiring American contractors or in-house employees to clean up the H-1B workers mess anyway. And this was like, the normal way things happened, not exception. So the company paid twice over, once to hire the H-1B workers, then it didn't work, then they had to hire Americans anyway but **** off lose their customers anyway.

Another reason Trump should reform this mess and he'd gain a huge political windfall in from doing it. Even most of the Democrats I know would vote for Trump, or Republicans allied with him, if he concretely reduced, suspended or shut down the H-1B and the other cheap labor visa programs. Most people aren't political animals and don't pay attention to all the issues in the news and campaigns, but we do pay attention to things that have affect us directly like jobs. All the Independents and most Dems I know are like this, not too partisan, just want to vote for a candidate with good policy, and getting rid of sharply reducing the H-1B would be a big vote-getter in any state!
Are you referring to H2B workers because H1B are visas that hire ones in specialty occupations. H2B workers are the ones Trump hires for Mar a Largo. And labor unions have always complained about H2B workers because they take away jobs for Americans.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:42 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
He has not passed any laws but infused new vigor in how applications are scrutinized and approved. Every application is thoroughly checked and the days of filing extension = automatic approval are long gone.

I have been through this and there is considerable action going on.

1) The number of RFE( Request for evidence) and subsequently denials have gone up.
2) Visa rejections have increased and are thrown into an administrative processing pool where it can take longer to get an update.
3) USCIS is mulling a law where an application can be rejected right away without an RFE.
4) Plans for canceling work authorization of spouses of people who are in green card queue.
5) Applications for "Prospective" employment are denied. Unless you have a solid contract , you are in trouble. This is where many body shops and H1B abusers freak out.
6) These rules have helped companies hire many Americans and also increased the prevailing H1B wages also.
7) Many people have left the country as a result.

As long as you have good paperwork and some luck, there is still fair adjudication.
This is good to know, so it does sound concrete action is being taken. No matter how good the H-1B sounded in theory in practice it's been a dismal failure, to vulnerable to abuse. The abuses by Disney, Facebook, Microsoft and some accounting firms have been well documented but the worst abuses AFAIK are by the Indian companies like Tata and Infosys. They simply need to be shut down, they've ruined whatever good intent the original program might of had.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
This is good to know, so it does sound concrete action is being taken. No matter how good the H-1B sounded in theory in practice it's been a dismal failure, to vulnerable to abuse. The abuses by Disney, Facebook, Microsoft and some accounting firms have been well documented but the worst abuses AFAIK are by the Indian companies like Tata and Infosys. They simply need to be shut down, they've ruined whatever good intent the original program might of had.
Its a a general perception that Tata, Infosys etc abuse what they got. But they are transparent and ethically governed companies for long. There were cases of fraud but I think they might have happened due to oversight than deliberately.

They cannot abuse or bring 1000's of people unless they have business and demand here. Each petition is sponsored by the client. Its like saying "Rich people don't pay taxes" . But the reality is rich people know the laws and use them to their advantage. If you look at pure American companies like IBM or Accenture, they have over 150,000 people in India itself. Thats a lot of jobs that could have gone here.

The abusers are the small time shops. Those owners typically come here and become Green cards or citizens and then they start companies and bring a lot of people.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:52 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its a a general perception that Tata, Infosys etc abuse what they got. But they are transparent and ethically governed companies for long. There were cases of fraud but I think they might have happened due to oversight than deliberately.

They cannot abuse or bring 1000's of people unless they have business and demand here. Each petition is sponsored by the client. Its like saying "Rich people don't pay taxes" . But the reality is rich people know the laws and use them to their advantage. If you look at pure American companies like IBM or Accenture, they have over 150,000 people in India itself. Thats a lot of jobs that could have gone here.

The abusers are the small time shops. Those owners typically come here and become Green cards or citizens and then they start companies and bring a lot of people.
Bunk

The Indian contract job shops exist to work around a loophole in the H-1B law. An employer can’t replace a full time employee with an H-1B. There is nothing to stop them from replacing a full time employee with a contractor. It doesn’t matter that the contractor is an H-1B. That loophole needs to be closed.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:40 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Trump cannot do away with H1B program as it’s legislated law, he can however suspend the program pending a thorough investigation.

The L1 does have fraud especially the L1B category specialized knowledge. But L1 falls under NAFTA.

Old 08-05-2018, 02:41 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Bunk

The Indian contract job shops exist to work around a loophole in the H-1B law. An employer can’t replace a full time employee with an H-1B. There is nothing to stop them from replacing a full time employee with a contractor. It doesn’t matter that the contractor is an H-1B. That loophole needs to be closed.
That back door to a green card needs to be slammed shut permanently.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:28 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Bunk

Back in the '90's my husband's friend worked at IBM. He and others had to train some Tech Support people from India. After a weeks these employees were given pink slips and the India workers were hired. Not contractors.

However, they went back to India and worked from there. What visas did they need? How do you close this kind of loophole? Have you ever called Tech Support, or for that matter, any Call Center? In this line of work employees do not need to be physically present in the USA.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:37 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
The H-1B and L-1 visa abuses: is Trump reforming them?
He is expanding them, since they are "merit based". This is a complete reversal from that he said on the campaign trail.

I recently visited a client where 19 out of 20 IT employees were from India, and that included programmers, managers, directors and VPs, so of course they'll sponsor visas for more of their countrymen. The only American I spoke to was the guy who configured the laptops to be handed out to new employees. While in his quarters I saw 15-20 laptops already prepared and they had post-it notes on them with Indian names on them. All the new hires were Indian.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:11 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is expanding them, since they are "merit based". This is a complete reversal from that he said on the campaign trail.

I recently visited a client where 19 out of 20 IT employees were from India, and that included programmers, managers, directors and VPs, so of course they'll sponsor visas for more of their countrymen. The only American I spoke to was the guy who configured the laptops to be handed out to new employees. While in his quarters I saw 15-20 laptops already prepared and they had post-it notes on them with Indian names on them. All the new hires were Indian.
This baffles me, it's not only bad for the US economy but politically stupid on Trump's part. Americans need those jobs to keep up with all the rising costs of living in US cities, how the hell are Americans supposed to afford college, basic health care, housing, even food when the best jobs, in skilled areas like tech, are being just given away like that? And how are college kids supposed to pay off student loans? No wonder the US birthrate keeps crashing down, no one can afford to have families. Plus, why would Americans even bother to study STEM now if fewer and fewer jobs are available, and at lower wages? STEM majors are hard work, so who's going to go through that, and wrack up so much college debt if jobs not there?

I thought Trump was at least smart politically but maybe he really is dumb as a rock politically. This is the one campaign promise he really had to keep, and if he's dumb enough to go back on it, his whole base will stay home in November this year and 2020. Protecting American jobs from stupidity like this is the only reason most people voted for him and it's the only rallying cry of his base. Without protecting US jobs, Trump has nothing to offer, and what he's doing here stinks of near treason for allowing this. What you're describing sounds like against the law so Trump could easily stop it, maybe he has people in his administration who aren't fully committed to the task but voters in November really aren't going to care for that as excuse, esp. when Americans are already starting to hurt from the tariffs. I'd say because of this alone, we have a Blue Wave coming in 2018 and 2020, unless Trump wises up and basically imposes a big moratorium on the H-1B, like the travel ban. Much needed.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:17 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
Quote:
I thought Trump was at least smart politically but maybe he really is dumb as a rock politically. This is the one campaign promise he really had to keep, and if he's dumb enough to go back on it, his whole base will stay home in November this year and 2020. Protecting American jobs from stupidity like this is the only reason most people voted for him and it's the only rallying cry of his base. Without protecting US jobs, Trump has nothing to offer, and what he's doing here stinks of near treason for allowing this. I'd say because of this alone, we have a Blue Wave coming in 2018 and 2020, unless Trump wises up and basically imposes a big moratorium on the H-1B, like the travel ban. Much needed.

Democrat Logic.....
  • Trump is bad for trying to stop illegal immigration.
  • Trump is bad for encouraging legal immigration.
Has to be seen to be believed.

(no wonder they can't win elections, but have dreams of "blue walls" & "blue waves")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies