Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 05:48 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times

Advertisements

America is not the center of the world, when people think in broader terms, they might find that people in many places around the world have demonstrations within the lives of many people as individuals, who are remarkably talented and skilled,compassionate and every thing that is about the good within humanity; we have a microcosm of that example here in the United States. The real truth is, one can find people from many global ethnic cultures and societies around the world who demonstrate the highs of human potential and human function, as well as compassion and care.

If one thinks in limited terms of what is in their immediate circle, it's like looking at a tree and ignoring the full of the forest where there are many uniquest and distinctive trees.

The sad thing about America is the infection that superiority as being an America has deluded so many into fiction and confabulations, and then people holding thoughts of superiority at being white Americans, has distorted the view and the awareness as well as the respect for and of the broadness of people of the world, and the uniqueness of people from and within all places of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 06:06 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
Yes, racism exists and impacts minorities making life tougher.

i find it amusing that the same people that tell minorities to get over racism complain 24/7 about the liberal media keeping them down and about law enforcement being unfair or biased against Trump. Nope, no bias in how police deal with black people, but that FBI, whoa boy, everything and everyone is biased with them.

Somehow the straight white christian male holds 90% of the power in this country, and still thinks that he is the most discriminated against. If only us white males could catch a break. Them minorities, they just don't understand how tough life is for us.
Yes racism exists and white supremacy exists, however America has changed. America has recognized such institutional practices such as slavery, land removal acts, internment camps, red lining were all wrong. Institutional racism is dead in this country. Institutional racism is dead, but personal racism still remains, and their is nothing the government can do to make personal racism illegal. Institutional racism is far more worse and far more dangerous than personal racism. Personal racism one can brush it off, while some can not. If someone is personally racist to me, I can either ignore them, or ignore their business. I have better things to contend with.

Here in NYC, a Chinese nail salon get into with a black customer who did not want to pay for service in regards to a 5 charge. The black woman got physical with the Chinese woman, and the Chinese women started bashing some of the black women in the establishment with sticks. Now the black community in Brooklyn are protesting the establishment which is now shutdown. How can you protest and boycott a Chinese immigrant business, but at the same time those protesters eat Chinese food for dinner? You are giving money to the very same people who are against you. Instead of spending money with people who don't like you, why don't such people build their own establishment for their own people instead of complaining about racism.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:20 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A simple yes or no and an explanation to back up your claims please.

I voted no and will explain my reasoning later.
So far, 38 have voted "yes" but 94 have voted "no".

I would be very curious as to the race, income and education level of those who have voted in each category.

IMO, those who have voted "no" would be minorities in low income jobs and also liberals.

IRL minorities who have worked hard and make decent money would have voted "yes", just as I did. I have found that any minority who has worked hard academically or in a trade, has succeeded in the US quite well.

Speaking good business English well, having a positive attitude and strong people skills, were other factors in their success. Cranky or angry people usually don't succeed in life. After all, who wants to have those people in their workplace or to do business with them?

Then lastly, these minorities also had strong financial aptitude, lived within their means and budgeted to save towards owning their own business and home ownership.

I've seen too many people from poor backgrounds be ill-equipped to handle a sudden upswing in their income. They love the rush they get from finally being able to "live large" and suddenly the money is gone and they are back being poor, but now with a black mark on their credit score.

Last edited by miu; 08-09-2018 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 06:32 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,227,705 times
I will agree that "good communication skills are a must, if one wants to enter the business world", for any America, it is important to speak good and clear English when doing business as working, if one is in a foreign country, it is likely good to speak that language if one wants to do good in a business environment as working people.

I deal with people who speak not good English, both black and white, its very difficult to get their concern or issue addressed because they have difficulty expressing it in terms that fit the generic business communication format. ( I did not say impossible, but I said "difficult).

If one is in a meeting, black or white slang does not work!!!! good pronunciation of words is quite important not only to convey the message, but how one will be interpreted in general in a business work environment and most certainly in a business meeting.

I've seen black people with a bad attitude, and I've seen white people with a bad attitude, and they often don't do well in a work environment.

We had a situation recently, a guy has a very bad attitude, and he called someone prejudice who definitely is not prejudice. I've seen white men, who had standoffish attitudes with black people, and even though he was knowledge about the tech, he did not do well because of his attitude. Often these people not only have bad attitudes with people of different races, they have bad attitudes with people of their own race.

Attitude is important, and the better image one has of ones self, the better they will get along with "any" people.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 08-09-2018 at 07:43 AM..

Old 08-09-2018, 06:44 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,047,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
You do understand that one can have money and material things and still be poor in spirit, and destitute when it comes to human compassion.

I've seen poor people, man and woman who have a small house and not have all the marquee things in it, and they both work jobs trying to make it, make their house into a home that feels warm and with love; whereas there are some with big beautiful material stuffed homes and manicured lawns and all the trimmings, but it does not have the warm feel of home as that of some poor people. I've seen them plan simple small outing, or the simplicity of a movie night at home, and make it more warm that people who go out to expensive eateries and other events.
I've seen people who work to plan what they will purchase, and when they do they take good care of it because it was a worked for dream they fulfilled. Where as there are some people who have high disposable income, who shop and buy things and within a month and sometimes less, they have little concern or limited use of what they purchased.

True wealthy in spirit and humane compassion is a wealth that is unique in what it is, and money can't buy it.

There are benefits to money, but money has never been in essence more than simply a tool to facilitate.
We will continue to see in this life, "some" that put their reliance on money, do horrible things to their own life if and when that money is no longer available, some do horrible things because that money is available, and still some resort to taking their own lives and this happens to people with money and to people who have lost their money, and people in desperate quest to get money, as well as to some who have no money. Some try to drown themselves by other means, and a great many relationships have become associations from hell, when the money is gone.

No one takes even one penny from this earth when they depart, they can fill their casket with dollars and 50-100 yrs later if someone dug it up, the money would still be in it, and the body will have decayed long before.
Warm homey homes and loving spirits are good. Having money also is much better. Warm homey homes need roofs and siding and patios. Don't sell money short. Money is a condensation of time, money is the ability to do more with your life because it allows you to command and utilize more time traded from others. Money is an amazing and fantastic invention. So yes, be nice. Yes, make your home warm and homey. But please, also earn some nice green dollars, earn some nice extra time. Time is ALL we have, and then we cease to exist. So enjoying extra time in the form of earned money is one the most freakin amazing things going. And the pride that comes from being an economic value to others? Priceless!

Earning and having money does not prevent a meaningful fantastic existence. In fact it helps it. And being economically poor completely and utterly sucks. Because lack of money IS lack of time. This is reality.

So do both. Be a great person. And make some excellent money. Extend your time. Extend your life.

Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A simple yes or no and an explanation to back up your claims please.

I voted no and will explain my reasoning later.
Sure it is. The Democrat Party has told minorities for more than 50 years that they are "victims" of Western Civilization. So it's better to be supported by them in a crime infested, no opportunity Democrat Plantation than to become functioning members of society.

Case in point Maxine Waters. And her Plantation is so bad that even she won't live there. Instead she chooses to live in a walled off mansion several miles from there. And her platform is nothing more than race huckstering.

If it wasn't for race, Maxine Waters would not exist as a leader in the Democrat party.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 AM

241 posts, read 143,531 times
The problem with this question is that the average American is much too ignorant of history, law, economics, and etc to make an accurate assessment. Hence why this thread is filled with nothing but talking points, irrelevent stats, and false correlations as that’s how Sinclair, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC like to deliver news...they leave no room for critical thinking. Just these things alone explain how racism has held down minority communities in the past 60+ years.

Cointelpro
War on Drugs
White Flight
Redlining
Gentrification
Gerry-mandering
Mass Incarceration
Privatized Prisons
Mandatory Federal Minimum Sentences
UNICOR

None of this is subjective but once again the average sound bite regurgitating borg wouldn’t even know about any lf this.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:37 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Minorities are not held down in this country.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:38 AM

139 posts, read 109,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
The problem with this question is that the average American is much too ignorant of history, law, economics, and etc to even attempt to make an accurate assessment. Henc why this thread is filled with nothing but talking points, irrelevent stats, and false correlations as that’s Sinclair, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC like to deliver news...they leave no room for critical thinking. Just things alone explain how racism has held down minority communities in the past 60+ years.

Cointelpro
War on Drugs
White Flight
Redlining
Gentrification
Gerry-mandering
Mass Incarceration
Privatized Prisons
UNICOR

None of this is subjective but once again the average sound bite regurgitated wouldn’t even know about any lf this.
Don’t forget research on implicit bias and hiring practices, widespread discrimination against Black-sounding names in the job search process— culturally biased dress codes (AA women being targeted as ‘unprofessional’ for their natural hair)—
I could go on and on.

As for people not going into this in more detail in this thread – No one’s going distill hundreds of books and thousands of scholarly articles into an internet thread. If folks are truly curious they can go out there and find this information. I’d argue that even the premise of the question/the way it’s worded shows that the original poster had/has absolutely no interest in learning.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
The problem with this question is that the average American is much too ignorant of history, law, economics, and etc to make an accurate assessment. Hence why this thread is filled with nothing but talking points, irrelevent stats, and false correlations as that’s how Sinclair, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC like to deliver news...they leave no room for critical thinking. Just these things alone explain how racism has held down minority communities in the past 60+ years.

Cointelpro
War on Drugs
White Flight
Redlining
Gentrification
Gerry-mandering
Mass Incarceration
Privatized Prisons
UNICOR

None of this is subjective but once again the average sound bite regurgitating borg wouldn’t even know about any lf this.
Most of what you posted here has to do with economics and income inequality, favoritism than racism except for a couple of nuances that the government supported such as white flight, war on drugs, and red lining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies