Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 01:56 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,847,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's up to the websites to make those decisions. And evidently it is up to Jones and his fans to whine about it.
But shouldn't TOS apply equally to everyone? If TOS is written out then how can it be left to interpretation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No it doesn't. Where does the 1st amendment say Congress cannot expand Freedom of Speech?
You're not calling for an expansion of freedom of speech, but a restriction on it.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:02 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,625,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
But shouldn't TOS apply equally to everyone? If TOS is written out then how can it be left to interpretation?
How was it left up to interpretation? Do you have examples of other users that continually disregarded the TOS but didn't get kicked off?

Old 08-13-2018, 02:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
The Constitution is written out, and it is the job of the courts to interpret it. I don't know why you think writing something removes it from being interpreted. You are interpreting my posts, and they are written out.

Anyway, this is just a red herring.

The point is that these companies are not the government. The content posted on their websites to some degree reflects on them, they have terms of service which everyone agrees to up front before being allowed to post. They determined that Jones violated their terms of service, they notified Jones that he had done so, and Jones tried to get around them to get his content out, so they banned him. It's not government censorship. And the posters wanting the companies to be compelled to post Jones' content aren't defending free speech at all, they are saying that Jones for some reason has a right to be on these websites. He has no such right. And if any new laws were to be passed, the laws would be overturned. Because these websites are the ones exercising their right to free speech when they set the rules, and when they determine someone has violated those rules. Jones is free to seek out a new host website. The websites aren't obligated to accept any posts. This website has frequently deleted and edited my posts. I don't like it, but I tolerate it because I agreed to the terms of service when I became a member.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:24 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Their TOS says they may decide to remove, not that it's automatic, for YouTube at least.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:28 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
Their TOS says they may decide to remove, not that it's automatic, for YouTube at least.
Well, if the poster suggesting that YouTube selectively enforces its TOS against those with right-leaning political beliefs, it is incumbent on that poster to come up with some examples of left-leaning members who were repeatedly warned that their content violated TOS, continued to violate the TOS (resulting in a suspension), tried to circumvent their suspension by posting the same content through other channels, yet escaped a ban.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:42 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Well, if the poster suggesting that YouTube selectively enforces its TOS against those with right-leaning political beliefs, it is incumbent on that poster to come up with some examples of left-leaning members who were repeatedly warned that their content violated TOS, continued to violate the TOS (resulting in a suspension), tried to circumvent their suspension by posting the same content through other channels, yet escaped a ban.
Yup. And..if you (general) dont like the way a business handles things, show them. Go elsewhere. Really, if the people who are not in favor of this actually did go they could build up another site successfully.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:55 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Why?

If you want to whine about life being unfair, feel free to do so.

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
How do you feel about the TOS being violated by other members of these SM outlets by leftists who are still members and have not been banned? Is that okay?
If they break TOS most times mods themselves have to be notified of it before the post is moderated. Happens on here. Rarely does a mod find a post they need to moderate themselves. If nobody complains, the post cannot be moderated. If it is, then we go to the next step.

Now if it is, it is up to the interpretation of the mod. The problem I see with some places is the whole idea of selective moderating. I have seen some posts on some websites where I posted something similar and get moderated, even hit with a ban but yet others who go worse than I did aren't.

It isn't a simple answer and for years Jones never got the ban hammer but it was a decision that all the platforms wanted to make, but they didn't want to be first to do it. This often happens with a lot of different things.

9,254 posts, read 3,591,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Why?

If you want to whine about life being unfair, feel free to do so.
Sure, but don't tell me that some website is unfairly biased unless you have evidence of unfair bias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies