Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 03:10 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,273,201 times

Advertisements

The Senate Judiciary Committee will request that the administration instruct the FBI to conduct a supplemental FBI background investigation with respect to the nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be an Associate Justice on the Supreme Court.
The supplemental FBI background investigation would be limited to current credible allegations against the nominee and must be completed no later than one week from today.

OK, let's give them 1 week.......I hope Democrats don't come back next week with excuses or moving further the post.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:11 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I didn't hear you saying that when Sotomayor and Kagan were being confirmed.
Were they emotionally unstable political hacks?

Did they ramble on about conspiracy tales during their confirmation hearings?

Did they announce half a dozen times that they liked beer and get belligerent with Senators?

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
but the burden of proof is on the accuser.....she didn't even provide 1 evidence or witness that puts Kavanaugh and her in the same party let alone about the other stuff.

what is the FBI is going to do? take their statements again and find a unknown witness under a rock to find if they saw something in a party in 1982.

the alleged crime took a few minutes, she said 2 people in the room, both have denied it......so what is the FBI going to do? get CSI on the case?
I suppose they're supposed to interview all teenagers in the State of Maryland that may have gone to a party with Georgetown Prep students between the years 1980 - 1983. We're not sure, but maybe we can finally narrow it down to 1982 since I suppose she finally said that yesterday.

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
To be consistent and fair, it's not just Democrats. The republican Senate canceled the confirmation vote for Tuesday because some Senate Republicans are definitely not on board the Kavanaugh bandwagon and will vote as such. Also, the American Bar Association came out and recently pulled it's endorsement of Kavanaugh for SCOTUS and has called for an FBI investigation, along with Yale College of Law, Kavanaugh's alma mater.

It's not just Democrats. It's a large body of normal thinking, rational, educated, fair-minded adults.
Right. Whatever you want to tell yourself. But the truth is that Feinstein sat on this until the most politically advantageous time for the Democrats. She did so after helping Ford get a lawyer, after speaking with her, and all while knowing she had the resources at her disposable, from senate investigators to closed hearings, to deal with this matter. She could have done it while meeting with Kavanaugh in August. She could have done it went they put together the long list of written questions. She could have done it in any of the closed hearings. But no, she waited until the day of the vote. And now you want to try and convince me that what's happening right now is somehow the result of normal thinking, rational, educated, fair-minded adults?

We have a saying here in the South. That dog won't hunt. I think there's applicability here. The normal thinking, rational, educated, and fair-minded adult would have taken any of the previous opportunities afforded to deal with this matter and done so in a way that would not have destroyed either Ford or Kavanaugh in the national media. They would have had more than the one week the Democrats are saying is what they need to have this allegation thoroughly investigated and found the information we already know, it's a he said/she said and the witnesses Ford claim were there do not corroborate her story. But no, you clai that normal thinking, rational, educated, and fair-minded adults think that one more week of these dirty politics are "consistent and fair." There's been nothing fair about what Democrats have gone to this Kavanaugh or Ford for that matter. But it has been consistent - consistently dirty in the way they engage in politics.

So no, I do not and cannot support anything the Democrats are doing right now and frankly, I do not care what others have to say because I am a normal thinking, rational, educated, and fair-minded adult who is able to come to conclusions on my own and do not need to look to others for how to think.

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
IsTrump losing faith is his latest finger puppet?
You're being silly and I'm trying to be nice. Trump has said just like Kavanaugh that he will do what the committee asks of him to move this process forward.
Trump is doing what he said he would do all along.

Old 09-28-2018, 03:12 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My understanding is the committee will forward the request to Trump and it is Trump who actually performs the request. Then the FBI has to agree to do so of course. They cannot go outside the parameters set by Trump but they very well return it and say it was already done as due course in their previous investigations.
Would love to see the Scope Letter! Assuming the Dems and GOP can agree on the scope... that alone will take over a week!

Re previous investigations: FBI can't say it was already done as those were performed many years ago and high-school yearbook entries were most certainly not in their purview.

2,211 posts, read 1,574,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yes. They investigate the charges, interview people and get their stories on record, making sure people understand lying to the FBI is a crime. They interview people who could corroborate the various stories and accounts of the character of all parties involved. Then they hand their findings over to congress and let them decide (with a recommendation if they have any).

It would be done in a week or less.

Too much heresay and whatnot flying around. This is a circus.

Good thing we don't have Comey anymore.

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
When reporting is done close to the incident, 'believing' can be taken out of the equation by evidence. You should know that, just as others should know a female can have reasons for not reporting.
The facts are that 6 % of rapes end up w/ a convictions. Attempted rape, there are no stats for, therefore almost non existent convictions. Ford complained of an attempted rape.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-allan-victims

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
They have one week.

I can only wonder what the Democrats are cooking up to try in this time.
There’s a theory they are hoping that Judge caves but it’s remote given he would have perjured himself

Old 09-28-2018, 03:13 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,302,098 times
Geraldo melting down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies