Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 05:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,727,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Think about this for a minute:

When in recent years have decades old suppressed accusations of sexual abuse been dismissed?

Ask Bill Cosby.

Ask Harvey Weinstein.

Ask the Catholic church.

Kavanaugh will fail this job interview.

tRump, Grassley, and McConnell can't erase his past.

Carry on.

It sounds as if no one can create his past but his mom... Just wait. You are going to be so devastated.

17,553 posts, read 14,738,785 times
After this liberal frickin' circus of a side show, I will never vote for another Democrat ever again.

Not locally.

Not state wide.

Nothing. Nada. Zip.

They've done lost their dang minds.

988 posts, read 684,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Why not subpoena Mark Judge and ask him under oath if he was there? Her friend has no recollection of being there. There's a difference between no recollection and saying emphatically she wasn't there. The Washington post later talked to this friend who said she believed Ford.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/22/polit...ion/index.html

This is not a court of law, BTW. I say let them take a lie detector test.

As far as whatever else they can do, I'm not a lawyer and don't know all of the remedies available.
Sure, let the psychologist and the career lawyer take a lie detector test. No chance they'll game the system.

I'd be all for truth serum, but it's wishful thinking. Lie detectors aren't admissible because they're often wrong.

25,456 posts, read 9,849,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Maybe she's making it up?
Maybe she's not?

Old 09-24-2018, 05:53 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,977,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You keep harping and playing the same old tune and get shot down each time. Aren't you getting tired of being a DNC parrot yet?
Go to the PD in Maryland and file a complaint. Simple no?
I play the same old tune?????

Listen to your own sometime

And no--going to the police is not as efficient as doing this
Because the police do not make their investigations public
Because there is little likelihood there is enough credible evidence to charge Kavanaugh this long after the fact
Which is good
Because this process is not a LEGAL criminal trial
It is a job interview for a place on the Supreme Court
And there is no due process attached to a job interview
For any job---even POTUS...

Old 09-24-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
Leftist Gulag mentality. GUILTY!!!
Guess you haven't read the numerous posts about a thorough investigation.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-24-2018 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 09-24-2018, 05:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,060,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Well, then let's get to the bottom of it. Thorough investigation. Lie detector tests. Witnesses. Evidence. Why this kangaroo court with McConnell saying, yeah, there's a hearing on Thursday. But just so you know, Kavanaugh is gonna be confirmed. Yeah, that's some kind of justice right there.
Why doesn't she appear at the PD in the place that it happened and file charges?
See, I can repeat the same thing too.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:55 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,402,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Could Kavanaugh sue his accusers for slander? Or is that off the table if you're a public figure?
No, it's not off the table, and he shouldn't qualify as a public figure in regard to this accusation. The "public figure" thing is really supposed to apply to people discussing public affairs. It's supposed to protect me if I post a comment or opinion to the effect that I think Ford is lying and to protect anyone in this thread commenting or expressing an opinionthat they believe Kavanaugh did what he was accused of. Remember the Sullivan in NHY Times v. Sullivan was a public official who took offense to the Times's criticism of his employees. This was commentary or an opinion on how public officials were doing their jobs.

That's different from what Ford is doing. She is not commenting on how he is doing his job. She is not commenting on a pre-existing controversy. She is creating a controversy by making allegations that fit into at least two -- if not three -- of the four categories that defamation law has always considered most serious:
  1. A criminal offense . . .
  2. A loathsome disease . . .
  3. Matter incompatible with his business, trade, profession, or office . . .
  4. Serious sexual misconduct . . . .

Old 09-24-2018, 05:56 PM

21,494 posts, read 10,613,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
But you're OK with victim shaming the women? Really?

I was a horny as any teenage boy. I never, ever, ever considered putting any girl through what these went through.

But the, I'm an atheist, and I have morals.
I think the victim here is Brett Kavanaugh, not these women. And I believe in the rule of law, due process, and innocence until proven guilty. I think these Democrats are railroading any nominee that the president puts forward because they didn’t win an election. And that’s immoral and un American.

Old 09-24-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
You could very well be right.

Of course, Susan Collins has become VERY wobbly today. That provides some cover for Lisa Murkowsky to move closer to a "no." Let's not forget Flake and Corker, who owe tRump and the GOP nothing at this point. Maybe they want to be remembered for keeping a sexual predator off the supreme court.

And let's not forget the skills of Michael Avenatti. Now that he's involved, that adds another dimension.

It looks like it'll be a fun week.

I agree Gringo. Poor Susan and Lisa though. Really depends on how the wind is blowing that day, lol. Love me some Avenatti. He always makes things interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies