Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2018, 01:19 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The AMA did not commission the Flexner Report. [oh really?]

Flexner was a respected educator, not a physician. He actually visited all those medical schools and evaluated everything from admission qualifications for students to access to teaching labs and hospitals. His standard was the medical school at Johns Hopkins. The schools that he said were bad were really bad.

If you want anyone to be able to hang up a shingle and start doing brain surgery, be my guest. I do not.
Who guards the guardians?

https://rense.com//general33/gang.htm
In 1910, Henry Prichard, president of the Carnegie foundation, bought control of the AMA for the sum of $10,000. He then financed the publication of the Flexner report, as it was then called, to gain popular support for the changes that were to be made in the medical community.
- - - -
"hatchet job"
- - - -
Brings to mind another "paid for" hatchet job on FAT.
https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-you-after-all
[R]esearchers wrote in JAMA Internal Medicine, that the sugar industry paid scientists in the 1960s to downplay links between sugar and heart disease, and instead play up the emerging science about saturated fat as a more likely contributor to heart disease problems than sugar.
. . . [expletive deleted!] . . .
But you can TRUST your duly licensed physician...
Which is why you NEVER need a second opinion.
Or why there NEVER are malpractice suits.
Or why no one ever dies from side effects from pharmaceuticals prescribed by these paragons of professionalism.

Flexner Report
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexner_Report
The Report also concluded that there were too many medical schools in the United States, and that too many doctors were being trained.
- - -
Which didn't help advance the cause of higher wages and fees!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 04:25 AM

11,788 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
CEO's make over 300x more income than workers.
Top CEOs make more than 300 times the average worker | Fortune

But you will never hear a republican complain about CEO pay, instead republicans attack athletes and doctors for being overpaid (while they fight for further tax cuts for CEO's.)
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/63439...-gains-tax-cut
Actually the OP hates Trump and would rather live under communism - sounds more liberal to me!

Old 09-05-2018, 04:51 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I had neighbors once, a nice couple attending Medical School
....they were going to owe hundreds of thousands of dollars in student Loans
before they got out.
Colleges cost a fortune nowadays...somebody has to pay for it...it usually gets passed on down to consumers.
Bingo. It all starts with the cost of college.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:10 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Its the, I deserve it generation. Wanting something given to them. I would like to be a doctor, but I just dont want to pay for it. Nothing is free. Ever notice what is free is usually not good. Besides, nothing is free, some one will pay. Guess who. I would rather have a doctor that knew what he /she was getting into, knowing the cost, and taking it serious. Next, well its free, what about just taking the courses on line. That way I dont have to go out of the house.
Want to fix high healthcare. Stop the $30 charging to insurance companies for a single aspirin in hospitals. It cost Pharma about 2 cents to manufacture a pill. Do they need that much profit. Greed is the problem, and no one is there to stop them. The people that pass the laws, own stock in these companies, or benefit some how through lobbyists. Fix that, heath care will be affordable to everyone. But no free rides to be a doctor.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:28 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
No - ADMINISTRATORS are grossly overpaid and there are more of them than doctors!

Old 09-05-2018, 07:56 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
We visit a great doctor who works almost 7 days a week all over teh city. He did his job perfectly for us. And when I looked at the bill, it was Aetna who was the clear winner.

I dont know why there is no disruption in the medical insurance industry yet.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:18 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.

Right...11 to 16 years from start to practicing, close to a half million to get that MD designation, being able to handle the stress, the hours, and having in some cases having someones life in their hands. Yeah, they make to much ....SMH

Old 09-05-2018, 08:25 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Doctors are over taxed.

Doctors making $500,000 a year are taxed at 30%.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2018

While billionaire CEO's are taxed at 15%.
Donald Trump vs. Warren Buffett: How Buffett's Taxes Prove Trump Wrong | Fortune

And Donald Trump wants more tax cuts for CEO's.
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/63439...-gains-tax-cut
CEO's aren't taxed at 15% for their salary. Buffet is because he cheats and pays himself 100k in salary to avoid high taxes and makes all of his money in Capital Gains which are 15%. So if you are a CEO who doesn't draw a real salary and only take Cap Gains then yes it's 15%, otherwise it's the same as everyone else in their bracket.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:08 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Its the, I deserve it generation. Wanting something given to them. I would like to be a doctor, but I just dont want to pay for it. Nothing is free. Ever notice what is free is usually not good. Besides, nothing is free, some one will pay. Guess who. I would rather have a doctor that knew what he /she was getting into, knowing the cost, and taking it serious. Next, well its free, what about just taking the courses on line. That way I dont have to go out of the house.
Want to fix high healthcare. Stop the $30 charging to insurance companies for a single aspirin in hospitals. It cost Pharma about 2 cents to manufacture a pill. Do they need that much profit. Greed is the problem, and no one is there to stop them. The people that pass the laws, own stock in these companies, or benefit some how through lobbyists. Fix that, heath care will be affordable to everyone. But no free rides to be a doctor.
The $30 bill for the hospital pill is a ruse. It is a way to raise the total bill that no one will pay. But it is done and used to show those that will listen about all the 'write offs' and 'losses'. So that they have more leverage in raising future reimbursement rates.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:13 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
No - ADMINISTRATORS are grossly overpaid and there are more of them than doctors!
There are many more docs. And it is not the docs salary that is the big money. It is the testing and meds and treatments and surgeries and hospitalizations that the docs order and direct while working in the patients best interests. A doc making $200K will be spending millions of HC dollars this way. And with the innumerable variations in practice patterns, one doc could outspend another by a million bucks and may not yield any better results and outcomes for the patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies