Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2018, 07:28 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Because a fetus/potential person is not the same as an actual person.
Legally, that's incorrect. Perpetrators are charged with murder for fetal homicide. That wouldn't be possible unless a fetus is an actual person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 07:28 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Nope.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:30 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Well, let me think about these issues for a minute....or three....
RoeVWade? If it is taken back to the Supreme Court, and reason(s) are found to overturn it, what effect will such a decision have on me, my family, and friends?
well, in truth, none, zero, zilch, nada, no way. If RvW is overturned, the SC will simply leave it up to the individual states to decide. OK, that's settled, it is a non-issue for me. I don't care.
Same Sex "Marriage", or civil union, or co-habitation contract or whatever society decides to label it: Again, if it is taken back to the SC for review, and the Justices decide it is a state issue, not a Federal one, what effect will that have on me, my family and friends? And again, none, zero, zilch, etc. However, I do believe if it is returned to the states, the states should be required to grant full Reciprocity to the "marriage" license, co-hab contract, civil union, etc. just as Reciprocity is granted to Driving Licenses, civil contracts of all other types, etc.. If the paper is legal in whatever state granted it, it should be accepted as a done deal in all other states, even if it is not legal to create such a contract in that state. FULL Reciprocity!
Note that a Marriage License IS a "contract"; between two people in its simplest form, or between two people and the State, or between two people and their Deity, or any combination thereof. A "civil union" or a "co-habitation contract" is exactly the same, legally and morally, if worded properly. The privileges and responsibilities are (or should be) identical.
the bottom line: again, I just don't care.
Sure, as we all do, I have opinions, but that doesn't mean I really care about the issues. The only time I even think about it is when I read something like this thread.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Roe took powers not granted to the Feds (and thereby reserved for the States under Amendment 10) and Federalized them in contradiction to the 10th Amendment.
Do you have reading comprehension problems?

The person I responded to said she was "for the Constitution" which is why she "wouldn't overturn" Roe v. Wade or same-sex marriage(IE he was making the claim that both rights were enumerated in the Constitution).

Maybe you should actually read what was written in full context before you respond.

All "overturning Roe v. Wade" does is return the abortion decision back to the states, as it was prior to Roe v. Wade.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:31 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, let me think about these issues for a minute....or three....
RoeVWade? If it is taken back to the Supreme Court, and reason(s) are found to overturn it, what effect will such a decision have on me, my family, and friends?
well, in truth, none, zero, zilch, nada, no way. If RvW is overturned, the SC will simply leave it up to the individual states to decide. OK, that's settled, it is a non-issue for me. I don't care.
Same Sex "Marriage", or civil union, or co-habitation contract or whatever society decides to label it: Again, if it is taken back to the SC for review, and the Justices decide it is a state issue, not a Federal one, what effect will that have on me, my family and friends? And again, none, zero, zilch, etc. However, I do believe if it is returned to the states, the states should be required to grant full Reciprocity to the "marriage" license, co-hab contract, civil union, etc. just as Reciprocity is granted to Driving Licenses, civil contracts of all other types, etc.. If the paper is legal in whatever state granted it, it should be accepted as a done deal in all other states, even if it is not legal to create such a contract in that state. FULL Reciprocity!
Note that a Marriage License IS a "contract"; between two people in its simplest form, or between two people and the State, or between two people and their Deity, or any combination thereof. A "civil union" or a "co-habitation contract" is exactly the same, legally and morally, if worded properly. The privileges and responsibilities are (or should be) identical.
the bottom line: again, I just don't care.
Sure, as we all do, I have opinions, but that doesn't mean I really care about the issues. The only time I even think about it is when I read something like this thread.
Absolutely agree with that point, especially since there are Federal Benefits that accompany marriage.

On another note if it went back to the states, and marriage rights were suddenly taken away, you may see an economic backlash against those states. We saw what happened in NC over transgender bathrooms, and what would of happened in Texas had they passed a bathroom bill. I think stripping gays of marriage rights now would create an even bigger backlash.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:59 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,052,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Legally, that's incorrect. Perpetrators are charged with murder for fetal homicide. That wouldn't be possible unless a fetus is an actual person.
Can a fetus be assigned a SS number? NO.

Can a fetus be listed as a dependent on taxes? NO.

Do fathers pay child support for a fetus? NO.

........because a fetus is not an actual person.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Can a fetus be assigned a SS number? NO.
Can one be legally charged with murdering a fetus? Yes. Murder. Homicide. That grants a fetus status as a person.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
You win this centurys award for the stupidest analogies to appear in a CD Forum.

A fetus is not a "pile" of proteins, or even parts. It is an already-assembled baby upon which the finishing touches are being applied, and in which a functioning brain is found.

The biggest contortion of "logic" ever to appear on CD.

You really should give the "thoughts" you have some consideration before you actually post them thereby making you vulnerable to such shameful awards.

A "functioning" brain that cannot sustain life on its own.

A fetus is a collection of unfinished parts that are incapable of sustaining life, just like the unassembled parts of a car or house are unable to function as the finished product.

Potential house. Potential car. Potential person.

Last edited by Annie53; 10-12-2018 at 09:38 AM..

Old 10-12-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Can one be legally charged with murdering a fetus? Yes. Murder. Homicide. That grants a fetus status as a person.
Again, if a fetus is a person it should be considered a legal dependent for tax and child support purposes, etc.

It isn't.

The government taking action against someone who killed a fetus against the mother's will does not violate the woman's right to privacy. That FACT provides the basis for the exception to the rule regarding fetal homicide.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
The OP's question seems like it is designed to paint all Conservatives with the same brush.

I am a Conservative. I believe very strictly in the Constitution. Therefore, I would not overturn those rulings, in keeping with the 9th Ammendment. The 9th Ammendment, in short, states that just because something isn't explicitly spelled out (like in Ammendments 1, 2 or, 4), doesn't mean those rights don't exist.
Except that the R party platform explicitly calls for rolling both of them back.

Apparently Ds take the R party platform more seriously than Rs do. A curious state of affairs to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies