Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 11:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
You could use that same argument for reasons to get cars off the highways. Public policies should be based on facts, not anecdotes or emotions.
But we do use that argument for everything...speed limits, seat belt and helmet laws, etc. are all because of that same argument. I could name more, how much time do you have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 11:11 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Because we have millions if illegals, many of them are known and attend schools, work, etc, and no one comes zipping in to arrest and deport them. That is how I know the laws are not being enforced.

Yes, I am well aware and experienced with the immigration process as my family are immigrants.

I did not read anything about reform, only how to make current illegals legal. No reform is needed, there is a defined process to enter and stay legally in the US, many follow this process, my family and friends did.
You're right I went back to that link and the author was lacking in that information department on 'types of reform' needed to overhaul immigration process.

However, have you have talked to these people, interviewed them at the schools, work, etc and they tell you they haven't a valid visa or green card?

When did your family and friends go through the steps? And what do you think would happen if they had to go through those steps today, under the policies (not laws) the Trump administration has put into place? How many with children, would make it past the dentition centers for children and not get separated?

Old 09-18-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
But we do use that argument for everything...speed limits, seat belt and helmet laws, etc. are all because of that same argument. I could name more, how much time do you have?
As long as your bringing in the facts, I have all day.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:21 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
You're right I went back to that link and the author was lacking in that information department on 'types of reform' needed to overhaul immigration process.

However, have you have talked to these people, interviewed them at the schools, work, etc and they tell you they haven't a valid visa or green card?

When did your family and friends go through the steps? And what do you think would happen if they had to go through those steps today, under the policies (not laws) the Trump administration has put into place? How many with children, would make it past the dentition centers for children and not get separated?
I derive my information from multiple sources, I can give some if you want, but I do not think you are denying that illegals do work and go to school here, correct?

My family and friends have immigrated over the last couple of decades, and even very recent as in within the last year. Nothing has changed as far as I know, cannot tell you if there are changes behind the scenes, but the forms and process are the same. As far as I know, there has been no changes to the immigration and even tourist visa process. I have an immediate family member going through it now, nothing is different. He soon will be granted his residency visa and fly over here, then will obtain employment, have his green card, and then eventually citizenship.

Those who enter legally are not sent to detention centers. Those who stay legally are not sent to detention centers. Out of the dozens of friends and family that are immigrants, I do not know a single one who ever has been sent to a detention center nor had any issue at all.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I derive my information from multiple sources, I can give some if you want, but I do not think you are denying that illegals do work and go to school here, correct?

My family and friends have immigrated over the last couple of decades, and even very recent as in within the last year. Nothing has changed as far as I know, cannot tell you if there are changes behind the scenes, but the forms and process are the same. As far as I know, there has been no changes to the immigration and even tourist visa process. I have an immediate family member going through it now, nothing is different. He soon will be granted his residency visa and fly over here, then will obtain employment, have his green card, and then eventually citizenship.

Those who enter legally are not sent to detention centers. Those who stay legally are not sent to detention centers. Out of the dozens of friends and family that are immigrants, I do not know a single one who ever has been sent to a detention center nor had any issue at all.
I will show you the reason I asked:
Detainees In Oregon Say They Followed Asylum Process And Were Arrested

Asylum seekers sue Trump administration over prolonged detention

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He’s not the only one who had to prove his citizenship

And the hits just keep on coming. So all the reports coming in on the news cycle about those who are migrating in the right way, only to be arrested are false?

Old 09-18-2018, 11:52 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
I will show you the reason I asked:
Detainees In Oregon Say They Followed Asylum Process And Were Arrested

Asylum seekers sue Trump administration over prolonged detention

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He’s not the only one who had to prove his citizenship

And the hits just keep on coming. So all the reports coming in on the news cycle about those who are migrating in the right way, only to be arrested are false?
Asylum seekers are not immigrants, anyone can claim asylum, that does not mean there is merit to it. Claiming asylum is a tactic to delay deportation, and hopefully be released in the US and disappear. Most of the current asylum seekers are not even following established norms by claiming asylum in the first country of safety, they are traveling further to the US. If you were crossing the border illegally got caught, claiming asylum is a good tactic. At that, asylum is a totally different discussion.

And no system is perfect, not a single one in the world. Merely selecting some examples of where the system failed does not mean there is a problem with the entire system. That is like saying your car is broke because you found a door ding, or because one out of a million heart surgeries go bad, heart surgeries itself are bad.

Fact is though there is a process, millions follow it just fine with no issue. If a person wants in the US, then they should follow the legal process. It is pretty clear.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:19 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Quayle_Higgins_III View Post
Do you understand what a small percentage of undocumented immigrants commit crimes against other people? You don't have any real data to back up your claims. Pretty much every study says that I am safer around immigrants documented or not than someone born in this country.

If you want to talk about who commits the violent crimes in this country, it is males who were born here. What are we going to do about our gender's violence problem?
Feel free to link the different studies.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:27 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Asylum seekers are not immigrants, anyone can claim asylum, that does not mean there is merit to it. Claiming asylum is a tactic to delay deportation, and hopefully be released in the US and disappear. Most of the current asylum seekers are not even following established norms by claiming asylum in the first country of safety, they are traveling further to the US. If you were crossing the border illegally got caught, claiming asylum is a good tactic. At that, asylum is a totally different discussion.

And no system is perfect, not a single one in the world. Merely selecting some examples of where the system failed does not mean there is a problem with the entire system. That is like saying your car is broke because you found a door ding, or because one out of a million heart surgeries go bad, heart surgeries itself are bad.

Fact is though there is a process, millions follow it just fine with no issue. If a person wants in the US, then they should follow the legal process. It is pretty clear.

Excellent post.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:31 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
No reform is needed, just enforce the current laws.

Exactly what needs to be reformed? There is a very clear process for entering and staying in the US.

Reform is just the PC term for amnesty. As you said no reform is needed.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:

And the articles (so many, too many to post in one c-d post) made that clear, legal processes are/were being followed, by the asylum seekers and also the immigrants. Yet, they have/had to endure irreparable damage, because of those in charge that are tasked with carrying out those polices, (not laws) took liberty to dish out a punishment, where there was not liberty on their part to take.

If after 1,480 people died as a result a failed heart surgery, I would think that doctors would take a step back so as to find out, what went wrong and fix it, before making another attempt. That's just irresponsible, not to.

And this thread is a perfect example of those willing to take a blind eye, to what people are going through. It began with an OP on the Border Patrol agent gone serial killer, to rather focus attention on the immigrants ... asylum seekers, as if they are the blame for the corruption in our government and the agencies tasked to carry out policies (not law) claiming to represent the interests of the American people.

And this is the America you can be proud of?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 09-19-2018 at 01:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies