Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2018, 06:20 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,355,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
I don't know a good time limit....but damn 37 years is crazy.

do 10 years after their 21st birthday.......I think that is plenty of time to file a police report.....but 37 years? please.
Well I guess we can throw out all those sexual abuse cases against priests from over 30 years ago, they missed the deadline so it didn’t happen.

What’s the problem you are trying to address with this deadline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,872,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
We need a timely reporting law so that people's lives can no longer be disrupted and democracy hijacked by ancient allegations which cannot be proven or disproven due to the lapse of time, eroding memories, and generally making it impossible to ascertain factual events from fictional allegations.

We can all agree that sexual assaults are more impactful on society than property crimes, right?

So, in CA and NY/RI, you have 5 days and 24 hours, respectively, to notify law enforcement of the theft of any firearm.

Surely for something even more emergent than a missing piece of property, we can impose the same reporting requirements on a far more serious offense, to ensure that investigations are contemporaneously initiated, that evidence is preserved, and so that the system ensures equal justice in the form of sufficient due process, for both victim and accused.
I am sure kavanaugh would vote for this law, if he makes it to the SCOTUS.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:21 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,585,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, I was thinking four months for adults, but I could compromise on six. There should be an exception for young children though. Give them enough time to get out of their house (if that's the hold up). Perhaps an age limit, say 21 years old for them.
If this were truly the case - the Catholic church would still be successfully transferring their pedophile priests from one parish to another.

I mean, they probably still ARE, but let's at least make it a little more difficult.

Or were we planning only applying this new 'law' to women?

Old 09-30-2018, 06:23 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,355,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I'd be willing to go up to 6 months. If someone can't report an assault crime within that time-frame then to hell with them.
Always good to hear from sex crime experts like yourself that have done tons of research and come up with 6 months.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:24 PM

10,260 posts, read 6,352,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Because a 9 yr old child is NOT devastated?????
I was 9 and terrified , as well as not really supported, and it took me 4 days! And this was WITHOUT a team of lawyers, or white knights!!Surely such strong empowered women can muster more courage than a 9 year old- especially now when they are almost ALWAYS believed even without evidence!
My attackers- 2 men 2 women(yes REALLY) got NOTHING. No feminists or manginas stood up for me either.
I also didn't have social media to turn to. Yet I STILL think it's not asking too much to report your assault before several months or even years go by!!
\

MY friend was raped on her way home from school in her own apartment building when she was 11. 1960's. She tried to fight off her rapist. Her clothes were cut off and she was beaten, knifed, and bleeding. Had to be hospitalized. Report it? EVERYONE believed her based on her physical condition. That is how it was back in those days. "Proof" of rape required a girl or woman to be beaten to a pulp. You want to go back to those days??????

BTW, my friend tried to commit suicide when she was 14. Yeah, the good old days.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:29 PM

37,313 posts, read 59,992,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
We need a timely reporting law so that people's lives can no longer be disrupted and democracy hijacked by ancient allegations which cannot be proven or disproven due to the lapse of time, eroding memories, and generally making it impossible to ascertain factual events from fictional allegations.

We can all agree that sexual assaults are more impactful on society than property crimes, right?

So, in CA and NY/RI, you have 5 days and 24 hours, respectively, to notify law enforcement of the theft of any firearm.

Surely for something even more emergent than a missing piece of property, we can impose the same reporting requirements on a far more serious offense, to ensure that investigations are contemporaneously initiated, that evidence is preserved, and so that the system ensures equal justice in the form of sufficient due process, for both victim and accused.
Just more harassment from the isle of repressive male authority

Let's put a time limit on rape kits--
Every/any jurisdiction has to have the results back w/in the recognized least amount of time
Vs storing them for YEARS because of supposedly NO other evidence or no money

Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,236,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just more harassment from the isle of repressive male authority

Let's put a time limit on rape kits--
Every/any jurisdiction has to have the results back w/in the recognized least amount of time
Vs storing them for YEARS because of supposedly NO other evidence or no money
Its just a reporting law that stands alone and not a SOL.

Rape kits would be more likely to be collected under such a requirement. There's not a reliable way to collect physical evidence from a victim's body beyond a couple/few days...so delaying reporting means discarding evidence that could be used to solve the case.

I don't know why people think this proposal is about anything but ensuring these crimes can be more easily resolved, whilst ensuring timely due process for all.

The whole objection about crime labs being underfunded or understaffed, is not relevant. That's a separate issue.

The primary benefits of such a proposal :

1. raising public awareness of the importance of timely reporting
2. reducing the stigma and social fear of reporting
3. ensures that justice can expediently be obtained by victims
4. that law enforcement agencies are not deprived of the evidence needed to complete an investigation
5. proper due process is extended to the accused.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:01 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,209,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
No your partisan description of feminism is nonsense. I am thinking for myself when I say feminist are gynocentric and hostile toward males.

Women have had equal rights and opportunity and more for at least a half century, yet always deny it. Equal rights and opportunities isn't really fair to begin with because men have responsibilities, standards and burdens that women don't have.
No you aren't and you need to look up what both feminism and partisan means. Explaning the definition of feminism cannot be partisan. feminsm is the belief in equal rights and opportunities regardless of gender, and yes, most western women have them. Making up a definition in the typical right wing fashion is partisan. Some women are hostile towards and dislike males, and vice versa but that has nothing to do with feminism. That's misandry and misogyny respectively. Misandry is not feminism. Most feminists love men, I certainly do and the men I love are also feminists, and no they don't hate themselves. That's more partisan bs.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:09 PM

9,223 posts, read 6,382,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yeah, I was thinking four months for adults, but I could compromise on six. There should be an exception for young children though. Give them enough time to get out of their house (if that's the hold up). Perhaps an age limit, say 21 years old for them.
I also agree with your exception for children but I would cap the exception at the age of either 14 or 16. High schoolers are more than capable of expressing when they have been wronged but younger children can certainly be impacted by parental influence affecting their ability to seek proper counseling and justice for a crime committed against them during childhood.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:45 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,236,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
No you aren't and you need to look up what both feminism and partisan means. Explaning the definition of feminism cannot be partisan. feminsm is the belief in equal rights and opportunities regardless of gender, and yes, most western women have them. Making up a definition in the typical right wing fashion is partisan. Some women are hostile towards and dislike males, and vice versa but that has nothing to do with feminism. That's misandry and misogyny respectively. Misandry is not feminism. Most feminists love men, I certainly do and the men I love are also feminists, and no they don't hate themselves. That's more partisan bs.
If that's all it meant, there's already a word for that, "equality" and there wouldn't be any reason to have a gendered noun to describe it.

Feminism is an ideology or belief "system". Its not just "equality" , and its certainly not limited to rights or to opportunities.

Look at the new unconstitutional law that Brown signed to force companies to have a female set-aside on their boards. It violates the Constitution's freedom of association in order to create equality of OUTCOME...which is not a right, nor an opportunity.

That's more representative of feminism.
Just like communism is about equality of outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies