Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:38 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,043,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Took 5 years to establish the Clintons were innocent on a single real estate deal.

Took 3 days for the FBI to check out all the assorted claims of lying, bad behavior, etc.

Sure, we believe it........sounds perfectly doable.
There was actual evidence to review in the Clinton's case and it was a real investigation, this was a background check that was already done 6 times in the past so it wasn't difficult to get it done. They probably had hundreds of agents assigned to this, that's the beauty of the FBI.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Kavanaugh really needs to focus on his mental illness and alcoholism before thinking about being on the Supreme Court. This is a lifelong appointment, and you really have to be at your best to hold that position.
Why do I have a feeling that you give Ginsburg (criticized Trump and had to walk it back, admitted she wasn't sober when television cameras caught her sleeping) a pass ?

Old 10-03-2018, 09:48 PM

805 posts, read 1,085,527 times
If/when Kavanaugh is confirmed, the Republicans take the midterms, and Trump is re-elected in 2020, watch out for violence from the left. I fear that it's only a matter of time.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:49 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
If/when Kavanaugh is confirmed, the Republicans take the midterms, and Trump is re-elected in 2020, watch out for violence from the left. I fear that it's only a matter of time.
They may hurt a few in the beginning, but that won't last long. They have no idea just how armed the people on the right are...and even some on the left who want no part of that nonsense.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:56 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,846,589 times
Interesting line from the 650 lawyers who wrote a letter against Kavanaugh - noting that they wouldn't have voted for him anyway on ideological grounds.

“The question at issue was of course painful for anyone. But Judge Kavanaugh exhibited a lack of commitment to judicious inquiry. Instead of being open to the necessary search for accuracy, Judge Kavanaugh was repeatedly aggressive with questioners. . . .”

He isn't qualified because his mind wasn't open to being a drunk or a rapist. I get it.

Old 10-03-2018, 09:57 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The "horrific" part that you don't seem to get is that he is being painted as a rapist even though even Ford never said that. And his name, his life's work, his reputation is being trashed over something that I don't even believe happened, let alone those who think it's just antics.

How is it that you did not get that?
Gimme a break, he's going to be worshipped after this. The partisan sheep are going to lose their minds praising him and turning him into a hero. The only ones who will hold the claim against him are the partisan sheep on the other side. Independent thinking people are not going to hold an unproven attempted assault against him. They wil simply dislike him because of his horrible, partisan ranting, entitlled, bragging personality and lies. The guy is a blowhard, just like the one who picked him. This is American politics today, heaven help us.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:01 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,277,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickedTheBucket View Post
I am not offended at all. I' don't care whether he is confirmed or not.
Yet I see the glaring issues with his immaturity like everyone else.

Just saying the obvious

He had huge anger issues. He needs to be able to control them and his lying.

Even Clinton and most everyone, under heat, has controlled their rage.
The problem is we have a little boy trying to play dress up who should've never been a Judge, to begin with.

lame! Kavanaugh has no anger issues......no issues as a judge.

if you are accused falsely of gang rape, drugging women and being a drunk with NO evidence and 7 FBI background checks that came back clean and it was all orchestrated by the Democrats who outed the letter and Ford to the public to destroy your career, life and family well this is how you would react.

his "rage" is excusable for what the Democrats did.......and what goes around comes around, remember Democrats. You all better clean house and do background checks on every democrat politician in office and running....you set the rules and now it's to play.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:06 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,438,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
McConnell just warned the protestors that they were not going to be intimated. Ha, I expect animal sacrifices to follow. Full blown Salem witchcraft hysteria for the next 48 hours.
Uh huh. A public servant elected by the public and takes a paycheck from the pool of all American taxpayers dollars ...just told the public to eff off.
Vote him out.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,277,731 times
Default How did we get here? What's Next?

Let's Recap for a minute - tonight Leader McConnell called for a Cloture Vote.
The FBI Report is complete and distributed to the Senate Members.
The process begins tomorrow for the 30 Hours of Debate - with a likely vote on Saturday.

How did we get here and what was the Process?

1st BIG argument - the Democrats are really upset that the FBI did not Interview Blasey Ford OR Judge Kavanaugh.

Personally - I find it more than shocking that they appear to be clueless about what an FBI Background Investigation actually means. Keep in mind - this is NOT a "Criminal Investigation" of any sort -- there is NO crime to Investigate.

So .... what has the FBI been doing for almost a week and WHY didn't they interview either Blasey Ford OR Judge Kavanaugh?? Simple ..... the way the FBI handles these background Investigations to look for information on the people involved is to talk to those that KNOW them, those that are NAMED as witnesses or persons of interest

Let's not forget (because it's a certainty that the FBI is aware) that BOTH Blasey Ford and Judge Kavinaugh Testified under OATH for many hours. Blasey Ford ended her Testimony by saying she had nothing more to add .... she told everything she knew. She is fully on the Record with Penalty of Felony Perjury
All accepted that.

Judge Kavinaugh ended his Testimony in much the same way - all Senator asked their questions, he was fully on the Record with Penalty of Felony Perjury. All accepted that.

The FBI was asked to check all the witness and verify the information by the Judicial Committee - President Trump agreed and put the Senate Leadership in charge.

The way this works is that the FBI talks to ALL the witnesses who have given Oath Statements to the Senate Judiciary Committee - they use these interviews of the people named in the hearing OR named in Letters submitted to the Committee - to see if they are TRUE .... And to investigate any other people that might have relevant information.

It's been widely reported that the Blasey Ford Team (and Democrats) are upset that the FBI has not 'interviewed them" ...... they SHOULD (and I think they must) KNOW that is not how the FBI works in these cases.

Why "interview" somebody that is already on the Record (under OATH) that you have told ALL you know. What possible point is that - they look for others who might actually remember something. Blasey Ford said "That's all I know".

Basically the same thing with Kavanaugh - he made his statement -- the Democrats asked their questions - the FBI will check with others they all knew and see if they can verify those answers to questions.

That''s EXACTLY how they "investigate" when they are doing background and verification.
Been There, Done That.... more than once.

It's a bit of a Mystery why the Senate Democrats don't understand this process.
It's more than a bit of a Mystery why the Senate Democrats AND the Blasey-Ford Lawyers are upset that the FBI did not Interrogate Blasey Ford. Mind Boggling ..... unless, they feel they need an opportunity to Correct their Under Oath, Penalty of Perjury Testimony.

Probably unlikely that's it ..... but most people would not be demanding to talk to the FBI, when it's well known that if you tell them you put one pat of butter on your biscuit and they find it was 1.5 pats of butter ...... To Jail with YOU.

Buckle Up -- the final rounds begin tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:09 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
c
Quote:
Originally Posted by KickedTheBucket View Post
I am not offended at all. I' don't care whether he is confirmed or not.
Yet I see the glaring issues with his immaturity like everyone else.

Just saying the obvious

He had huge anger issues. He needs to be able to control them and his lying.

Even Clinton and most everyone, under heat, has controlled their rage.
The problem is we have a little boy trying to play dress up who should've never been a Judge to begin with.
Exactly, the sheep are so blinded by their partisan loyalty they ignore reality. One can defend oneself with righteous dignity, especially a judge who should be able to handle himself in highly charged situations. I fully expecetd to support him after his testimony despite my disagreement with some of his views, but I was completely appalled and I'm not alone. True independents see this for what it was. His behavior was a call to the lowest common denominator of the right wing, they are all over this thread justifying his terrible behavior. They have to defend the indefensible because they must follow their team leaders who want him. They was no need for partisan ranting, conspiracy theories and just being childish when questioned. This would only fly in Trumps America where dignity and intelligent behavior is non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies