Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 05:57 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in my Senators and Government. They had the chance to stay on the right side of history, and didn't. This is like a slap in the face to women everywhere.

And Kavanaugh's response last week to the allegations alone prove that he does not have the temperament nor the impartiality to be a Supreme Court Judge.
Agree with much here, particularly the last.

Also agree Mr. Kavanaugh would NOT be suitable for the job if one is concerned with staying on, or getting back to, 'the right side of history' even if one were only to consider his part in one of the worst Supreme Court decisions of all time:

Quote:
Citizens United v. FEC (2010):. Perhaps the most hated decision from the Roberts Court, Citizens United held that political donations are speech protected by the First Amendment, opening the floodgates to unlimited personal and corporate donations to "super PACs." Though widely unpopular, the ruling isn't going away anytime soon. It would take a constitutional amendment or a new Supreme Court makeup to reverse the decision.
https://blogs.findlaw.com/supreme_co...-all-time.html

Quote:
For 42 years, the Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of limiting contributions to candidates, but Kavanaugh’s ruling provided an easy way around the limits — allowing donors to give millions of dollars to support a candidate so long as the money goes to a group “independent” of the candidate. No legislator voted for this topsy-turvy system of campaign financing, and no sane legislator ever would.
Brett Kavanaugh, the man who created the super PAC

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.d9ddfa1c0531

Faith in our democracy is at a historic low, & super PACs have become powerful symbols of corruption. The judiciary’s award of First Amendment protection is to legitimize a form of barely disguised bribery. We have been betrayed.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:01 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,606 times
have a WONDERFUL day everyone! Remember this day -- history is being made & you'll be telling your grandkids about this someday.

Today, we will be reminded that Innocent Until Proven Guilty still stands. A very good thing.

Sadly, this entire travesty has set back women's progress and it will take time to come back from all that. A very bad thing. And I say this as a victim of sexual abuse from age 9 to 11. I could come forward now, decades later, and would only destroy myself and families. Nothing would happen to him (although life has given him some pretty decent "payback"). Maybe I would have told then, if somewhere along the way I had been educated to do so. I know one thing I wouldn't do. I wouldn't accuse a different guy because of an agenda I might share with a corrupt political entity.

Going forward, IF you really care about victims of sexual abuse, you will educate our youth to speak up immediately. You will educate youth on what is proper and ok and consensual, & educate them on what is not. If you're incensed because you think Kav is unfit to serve due to the "belligerence" you witnessed, when a week or two earlier you were incensed because CBF wasn't believed by so many....well, ...guess you don't care about CBF & victims of sexual abuse as much as you think you do. It means you care more about your side. How selfish.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,890,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I agree it's unlikely the Republicans will lead the charge

However the internet buzz and media won't stop digging.

To suggest Dr Ford story is questionable is an understatement. I doubt she ever thought she would end up were she is now.

Her protective bubble is gone and the feeding frenzy frenzy is about to begin.

The Republicans will act after she gets caught having committed perjury. The Republican base will demand it.

Att which point Dr Ford will cut a deal to tell and avoid criminal prosecution on the more serious charges.
She was evidently raised in those high society circles of privileged upper echelon schools so I am wondering how she could have possibly not anticipated ever being in the public light?

She was holding in the alleged crime for 30 years and would not think it pertinent to bring it to light when Kavanaugh was assisting in investigating the Clintons way back? Why didn't she go to Democrats then with this information? It seems like given her family background her motive is more for the limelight than for the money. She doesn't need the money she needs the validation. She wants to feel important.

I agree with your assessment. She ironically will have to cut a deal with Republicans right after cutting a deal with Democrats. "Shut up or go to jail"

Old 10-06-2018, 06:10 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I don't think I have ever been more disappointed in my Senators and Government. They had the chance to stay on the right side of history, and didn't. This is like a slap in the face to women everywhere.

And Kavanaugh's response last week to the allegations alone prove that he does not have the temperament nor the impartiality to be a Supreme Court Judge.
Senator Collins laid out the case, as if it was the closing statement of a criminal trial.
Countering everything implied by the evil disgusting Democrats, dead set on ridding us of the Constitution, for their own gain.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:10 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
After I first heard about DR. Ford, I knew it was going to be a messy attempt to sink Kavanaugh and it wouldn't work. I also immediately knew that it was an attempt by the Left to stop or delay the Kavanaugh confirmation at the last minute. If it walks and quacks like a duck.....

President Trump set the bar pretty low in terms of respect for women. How far did people think this messy release of a testimony about something that may have happened 36 years ago with no corroboration was going to go?

Trump is a well-known playboy and a racist. He's the most powerful man in the world right now. And people thought that choir boy Brett who drank beer like every other wealthy privileged kid did in the 80s (Have those teen movies in the 80s taught you nothing?) was going to be stopped from loose allegations of groping when he was 17? Good luck with that.

I'm shocked at how fear on the Left created by the Left spun out of control. It reminded me of the fear the Right used when Obama was elected. He was going to take your guns. He was a Muslim. There were going to be death squads. American was going to perish. The world was going to end. He was the anti-Christ. Then what happened? Nothing. We still have our guns, the world has not ended. There are no death squads. And the economy seems to be doing pretty well after the fact., etc, etc.

The Left used a page out of the Right's playbook with the fear-mongering and it will backfire.

Women are having their, "I am woman, hear me roar.", moment. But they are roaring at the wrong person. They should look at themselves for being complicit. Their roars came after the fact. Had they resisted BEFORE Trump was even nominated, we wouldn't be here. What did they expect? I knew Trump was a puppet of the extreme right before he took the oath of office. And now we're screaming in the streets? Too late. Stop being reactionary. Be proactive. VOTE. Get your friends to VOTE. Get your family to VOTE.

Women are looking like they are having a tantrum right now by the Right. And that doesn't help your cause.

How about we hear your roars from the ballot box?

Old 10-06-2018, 06:11 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
https://padailypost.com/2018/09/29/p...rds-testimony/

It's not suspect. That's what I mean about making things up.

So you KNOW she is lying, do ya? I lean toward believing her but I wouldn't say I KNOW Kav is guilty of that allegation.
Kavanaugh lied. For starters, he said he had no connection to Yale when he was a legacy student. He said the legal age to drink was 18 when it 21 by the time he turned 18. There are several instances where he lied.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:13 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,221,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
She was holding in the alleged crime for 30 years and would not think it pertinent to bring it to light when Kavanaugh was assisting in investigating the Clintons way back? Why didn't she go to Democrats then with this information? It seems like given her family background her motive is more for the limelight than for the money. She doesn't need the money she needs the validation. She wants to feel important.
The more that has come out about Ford the more many of us believe it was all lies. It was a big lie setup by the Democrats to destroy BK. Just look at the players and attorneys involved.

Ford was the the tool. She believed she would be the Liberal hero. Hopefully there will be an investigation and the truth come out.

Trying to bring down a SCOTUS Judge would be a very big deal. It deserves an FBI investigation.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Okay folks, the other Kavanaugh thread has gotten so large that it's hard for anyone to really continue a conversation or keep up with what's being discussed. So please, pick up here where the other left off.

That is because as a "Sticky", everything even remotely considered close to the topic, gets moved into it and it is hard to follow and the reason more threads are started with specific events of the witch hunt.

It makes it confusing and hides the truth.

Last edited by BentBow; 10-06-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-06-2018, 06:21 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,298,361 times
"Kavanaugh doen't have the temperment"....

Code for the democrats really screwed up...made their bed...and now have to lie in it

Democrats, liberals, media pulled out all the stops....
...didn't work....ended up exactly the same way it would have it they did nothing

Old 10-06-2018, 06:23 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,558,965 times
Judiciary Committee:

Dr Ford? Sit down, shut up.

Anita Hill? Sit down, shut up.

"We gave you girls the chance to say your piece and pretended to listen and then even launched a bogus FBI investigation that didn't bother to interview witnesses."

"We Pub guys are gonna cram through another sexual predator and paint HIM as the victim, sweet cheeks. Ain't nothin' you can do about it."

Except vote in 4 weeks.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies