Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,906,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks;53400369[B
]Kavanaugh wasn't on trial! As I have said umpteen times, the man was interviewing for a job. [/b]He wasn't on trial facing a possible prison sentence. There was zero burden of proof on Dr. Ford whatsoever. And I guarantee anyone who owned a small business would have dropped him from consideration in a minute had they heard these allegations. He's a bad risk and a potential liability. Sure, the supposed incident happened 30 years ago, but what if another woman makes an accusation? Better to hire someone without such skeletons. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of lawyers and judges in America. Hire someone else who isn't possibly a sexual predator. It's irrelevant, what's done is done, but there was no criminal standard of proof in the Kavanaugh hearing.

I was watching a TV show about a terrible crime in which a longtime realtor was showing a home to a man who kidnapped and subsequently murdered her. She and her coworkers went to elaborate lengths in an attempt to assure their safety, since they sometimes showed empty houses to men by themselves, and despite her usual precautions, she became a victim anyway. Her downfall? She showed a home alone to the wrong guy. Her coworkers had a secret text message they sent each other if they were in trouble, tried to avoid they never showed homes alone to single men, avoided showing homes at night or homes that had no electricity, and still she became a victim. Women always have to think about this stuff. Men don't. They rarely become victims of sexual attacks. And despite the precautions she took, it wasn't enough
The left's latest talking point. "He was interviewing for a job." How many job interviews are you first accused of a heinous crime, tried in the press for weeks, had an entire political party as much as saying you did it, then grill you. None. And yeah he was on trial the democrats leaking to the press saw to that. He was on trial in the court of public opinion where mob mentality rules and pesky things like facts, proof or witnesses dont matter.

I guarantee you any business large or small that accused an applicant of a crime, and leaked it to the press, and then used a vague accusation to not hire, would be sued into bankruptcy .

What if's? Could would haves and should haves. In the military we called that a BLIVOT. 10 pounds of BS in a 5 pound sack.

The left pretends to give a damn about Ford. She was only their weapon. Kavanaugh is now a member of the SCOTUS and Ford is left holding the bag.

As for the rest of your post. Shrug . Everyone has things they must think about. At work I never took a female co-worker in the office for a 1 on 1. Female Team leaders didn't have to worry about that. I never went to after work parties. Yeah accusations came from those too. Better to just go home to my family and not invite a problem. I have female friends from work, I trained many to compete as industrial mechanics against the boys. My female techs promoted fast because they were that good. Most if not all of them are my friends today, but even them, at work never a one on one. Never invited to my house unless my wife is home. Guys I never worried about. That is a reality.

Precautions. My brother is well to do. His house is a marvel of technology including the best home security system he could buy. That didn't stop his house from being egged. A rock through a window that inspire of video evidence the neighbor denies.

I don't know what to tell you. It isn't a perfect world and absolutely never will be. There will always be predators and treating all men as predators when most aren't isn't the answer, but it is now what we do. At work, in the media and even to Supreme Court nominees. Evidence not required. Facts not required. Witnesses not required. In your own words, He wasn't on trial. So that makes it ok to accuse someone, not hire them, and to soil their name and reputation, because maybe a thin maybe at that, they may have done a bad thing 30 years ago. Wow. I dont want to live in a world like that. Fortunately I dont.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:22 AM

29,566 posts, read 9,795,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Fake and inflated statistics aren't facts. And reasoning from biased sources are not something anyone should believe . For example the 1/5 female college students are raped is not true and the real figure is closer to 1%. https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...llege-campuses
In this day and age of "fake news" and all the rest that can put just about any "fact" into question, it is very easy to assume what is fact vs fiction without really bothering to determine one from the other. Accordingly, I don't really get bogged down trying to sort through such detail when it's the problem, not the detail, that matters most. Of course the problem of sexual assault, rape, and the challenges in particular for women DO exist!

Accordingly, I am more focused on how to properly address the problem, regardless who many incidents, because even one incident is one too many. The statistics do matter, of course, but not really beyond the point of confirming there are enough cases of assault to warrant serious attention.

IOWs, no real point wasting time on debating the exact number of people who are killed by drunk drivers every year when we all know there are too many to ignore, too many not do something about.

How do we properly respond to an accusation of assault? How do we promote women to come forward rather than be afraid? How do we move forward from the day when men's behavior was commonly excused by both men and women with the simple dismissive "boys will be boys?"

For starters, we don't immediately assume the woman is not telling the truth, or go on about all the reasons she may not be telling the truth. I think the opposite, and then I also think we abide by the "innocent until proven guilty" principle (that I also feel just as strongly about). I have enough faith in our legal process and general wisdom to believe men will not become victims simply because we start giving women the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sexual assault accusations, or we will perpetuate the problem women have been dealing with forever now. Time is up.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:35 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,907,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
In this day and age of "fake news" and all the rest that can put just about any "fact" into question, it is very easy to assume what is fact vs fiction without really bothering to determine one from the other. Accordingly, I don't really get bogged down trying to sort through such detail when it's the problem, not the detail, that matters most. Of course the problem of sexual assault, rape, and the challenges in particular for women DO exist!

Accordingly, I am more focused on how to properly address the problem, regardless who many incidents, because even one incident is one too many. The statistics do matter, of course, but not really beyond the point of confirming there are enough cases of assault to warrant serious attention.

IOWs, no real point wasting time on debating the exact number of people who are killed by drunk drivers every year when we all know there are too many to ignore, too many not do something about.

How do we properly respond to an accusation of assault? How do we promote women to come forward rather than be afraid? How do we move forward from the day when men's behavior was commonly excused by both men and women with the simple dismissive "boys will be boys?"

For starters, we don't immediately assume the woman is not telling the truth, or go on about all the reasons she may not be telling the truth. I think the opposite, and then I also think we abide by the "innocent until proven guilty" principle (that I also feel just as strongly about). I have enough faith in our legal process and general wisdom to believe men will not become victims simply because we start giving women the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sexual assault accusations, or we will perpetuate the problem women have been dealing with forever now. Time is up.
I don't. My point is I don't want self serving feminist doing anything about it. I'm not giving any accuser the benefit of the doubt. We had laws against rape for centuries arguably with too severe punishment back then that worked just fine. Nothing needs to be done really.

Old 10-19-2018, 06:07 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,632,120 times
Quote:
I don't. My point is I don't want self serving feminist doing anything about it. I'm not giving any accuser the benefit of the doubt. We had laws against rape for centuries arguably with too severe punishment back then that worked just fine. Nothing needs to be done really.
I learned about 'Omega' dudes on Law and Order SVU this week!

Old 10-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I learned about 'Omega' dudes on Law and Order SVU this week!
I don't know anything about that, but there are plenty of Omega feminist ladies who don't know their proper place in the world .

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,632,120 times
Quote:
I don't know anything about that, but there are plenty of Omega feminist ladies who don't know their proper place in the world .
mm hm.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I have to admit..., sometimes I do find myself wondering why they just can't stay barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen where they belong? Like the good old days...

Old 10-20-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I have to admit..., sometimes I do find myself wondering why they just can't stay barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen where they belong? Like the good old days...
When was the last time that was about 1850?

Old 10-20-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
When was the last time that was about 1850?
True, and I'll bet we can agree about something else here. You tell me...

The problem didn't really begin when we gave women the right to vote. Not really. It all began when we started letting women read books, get educated. That's when things really started going south. Don't you think?

Old 10-20-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
True, and I'll bet we can agree about something else here. You tell me...

The problem didn't really begin when we gave women the right to vote. Not really. It all began when we started letting women read books, get educated. That's when things really started going south. Don't you think?
I think we were all misinformed by feminists and liberals. So no, it was both a problem giving women the vote then feminist and liberals came along later and misinformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies