Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 07:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,400,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
My stance on the danger of marijuana is medically-based and medically-established, particularly for young people.
Cool beans.

Stand on a street corner and speak your truth. Meanwhile, I'm going to munch on some edibles.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,158,315 times
Read today that John Boehner, former speaker of the house, is pushing for legal Marijuana.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:03 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,390,778 times
Marijuana is one of those issues that the states should be deciding. As a libertarian Republican in Colorado, I smoke pot maybe once every two years - it does nothing for me. But, I also don't think it does any damage and I think the states should decide this.

The President has said he will decriminalize it after the midterms

Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 PM

45,256 posts, read 26,506,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Marijuana is one of those issues that the states should be deciding. As a libertarian Republican in Colorado, I smoke pot maybe once every two years - it does nothing for me. But, I also don't think it does any damage and I think the states should decide this.

No the states shouldnt be regulating marijuana or any other substance.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:05 PM

2,448 posts, read 897,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Read today that John Boehner, former speaker of the house, is pushing for legal Marijuana.
Yep, he's a paid lobbyist for the burgeoning marijuana industry. Go figure! (chuckling)

Man, that was right on cue! Thanks! That totally reinforces one of my arguments about the powerful interests pushing all this and manipulating useful idiots to do much of the legwork for them!

Old 10-28-2018, 07:06 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,335,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post

That's just speculation from a leak, it didn't come from his mouth. But I do agree with you.

However, many, many lawmakers are on the take and their vote for keeping cannabis Schedule I has already been bought and paid for by lobbyists. He faces a tough fight from most of them.

Quote:
Yep, he's a paid lobbyist for the burgeoning marijuana industry. Go figure! (chuckling)

Man, that was right on cue! Thanks! That totally reinforces one of my arguments about the powerful interests pushing all this and manipulating useful idiots to do much of the legwork for them!
Wow, you're right. Right on cue!

Old 10-28-2018, 07:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,701,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I sometimes post on the very bad impact of drug legalization, such as increased car crashes and ED visits. I was talking to a friend in the medical field and she mentioned the massive increase in drop out rates in states that legalized drugs. I had not heard of this (media blackout?) but I did some research and found it to be true:

The experiment has failed. Time to lock American’s dangerous drugs back in the cabinet.
Ah, you did research!

Please - wait a couple decades. This is an issue you have obviously made your mind up on long ago and you bend the facts to fit your narrative.

Let me give you one example.

MA. has had quasi-legal pot for well over a decade. It was completely decrim and no penalties even for growing small amounts. Everyone does it! Also, easily medically available (oh, my back hurts!) and, for a couple years now, COMPLETELY LEGAL RECREATIONALLY ALSO....

Now, let's look at the last couple years of stats in MA....

Income per capita - 7th in the nation and increasing every year.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ates-by-state/

Graduation from High School rates - UP from about 82% when pot was decrimed (a decade ago) to 90% today.

Now - let's see how those stoner who graduate high school do.....

#1 State in the Country for Bachelors Degrees.
#1 State in the County for Advanced Degrees.

In short, it appears that legal pot makes a population more wealthy and educated.

Did your data show this?

Old 10-28-2018, 07:14 PM

2,448 posts, read 897,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, and I'm honestly surprised you don't already know this. The adolescent brain is still developing, and therefore CAN suffer long-term damage from heavy cannabis use... the fully developed adult brain, on the other hand, is much less likely to be affected in the long run.

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2015/11/...ana-brain.aspx

And for adolescents/children who would benefit from the medical use of cannabis, they can safely use CBD products. CBD is even approved for use in pets, and has no mind-altering properties. Might help to educate yourself before participating in a discussion on this subject.
I do already know that, friend. I've posted those studies about the harms done to developing brains before. There are lesser risks for adults in comparison to children, but that is not even remotely the same thing as arguing that prolonged marijuana use in adults carries no serious risks.

CBD isn't what's at issue here and you're well aware of that. That is not the chemical being used by the folks in this thread and it is not the crux of the issue being debated by the public and our politicians.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,198,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I sometimes post on the very bad impact of drug legalization, such as increased car crashes and ED visits. I was talking to a friend in the medical field and she mentioned the massive increase in drop out rates in states that legalized drugs. I had not heard of this (media blackout?) but I did some research and found it to be true:

Yes, it's true. It's always been that way. Worse than that, many marihuana users use other drugs, so there's always peer-pressure for marihuana-only users to experiment with more dangerous drugs.

If we ever have another war requiring the Draft, they should be drafted first and sent off as cannon fodder.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:15 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,128,846 times
Quote:
Yet another logical fallacy! This time it's argument by assertion!

Not that we really needed further evidence that marijuana has deleterious effects on cognition.
again... logical fallacy simply doesn't mean someone disagreed with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies