Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 07:48 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I wish, whenever these repeat tragedies occur, to focus discussion on what I see as real causes of Pittsburgh, Parkland, Sandy Hook, Charleston and most similar mass slayings. And now Thousand Oaks.

James Holmes, the Colorado theater killer, is perhaps the best example. He tried to contact his psychiatrist while his tenure in a graduate program was falling apart.
Read this thread; Holmes' psychiatrist did plenty to try to help him. James Holmes' Psychiatrist Contacted University Police Weeks Before Movie-Theater Shooting

Quote:
Other examples are less clear-cut since we know less about their psychological care and treatment. Jared Lochner, who killed a bunch of people, had been expelled from Pima Community College.
Loughner's instructors tried to warn his parents that something was way off; he was threatening other students.

Quote:
Adam Lanza's schooling in an affluent Newtown, Connecticut should have exposed him to mental health professionals.
They all had contact with mental health professionals, but there is only so much that mental health intervention can do, especially when the client/patient does not follow through. And no one can predict that someone will become violent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 07:50 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
You must be deluded.
You wrote, "limited understanding of life", with zero insight or knowledge about your topic or the experience of the person you are addressing.
That is a ridiculous, losing position to take.

You also wrote that I don't understand opinions beyond "rational thought " HA, yeah, you got that one right. I don't do irrational thought.

You keep stating "killed innocent people", referring to every enlisted man in the ME. That tells me all I need to know about you and your biased opinions based on zero experience.
Seriously, real deal karma?; Your main argument is, full-on, hippy dippy magic? Ridiculous.

It is nonsense to keep soley blaming the big bad government for some people being wackadoo lunatics.
Looks like you understand nothing from what I was saying. Besides, it's bad manners to change meaning of your opponent words for the controversy sake. I didn't tell about EVERY enlisted man in the ME. And not every of them become a wackadoo lunatic. For you, karma is hippy dippy magic. But for all knowledgeable people Karma is the ancient science of cause and effect. It is the irreversible principle of the whole universe. Many great thinkers and scientists of the world recognize it. But with your little understanding of different hidden aspects of life and their visible manifestations, you are trying to ridicule it. Same thing with your 3D rational thinking that not allow any empirical experience. Do you love your spouse? How can you prove me it is true? Everything you would say will be massive bias and irrational judgment with no proof. Got it? Case closed!

Old 11-11-2018, 07:52 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
An Open Letter to the NRA from American Healthcare Professionals

I don't really buy it.

I don't buy it because it is using that redefinition of what is a mass shooting.

I don't buy it because it focuses on gun violence that "they" have patched up.......well, what about the other violence? Of acid thrown in faces, people being beaten, people being burned, raped, strangled, and so forth.

Where are their comments on that?

You know what they said......"Samuel Colt made every man equal.".

Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
"God man Man. Colonel Colt made them equal."

Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I don't really buy it.

I don't buy it because it is using that redefinition of what is a mass shooting.

I don't buy it because it focuses on gun violence that "they" have patched up.......well, what about the other violence? Of acid thrown in faces, people being beaten, people being burned, raped, strangled, and so forth.

Where are their comments on that?

You know what they said......"Samuel Colt made every man equal.".
You don't buy it because you would rather buy a gun. Your mind accepts only what you want for yourself.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
And you won't get a reasonable answer. Society as a whole has gotten safer. The one thing we can't change or predict is when or if an individual decides to kill another, and probably never will.
We had firearm education and marksmanship every year as part of Gym class, from 1st-6th grade elementary school. When in HS, the student parking lot was an arsenal.

Old 11-11-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
We had firearm education and marksmanship every year as part of Gym class, from 1st-6th grade elementary school. When in HS, the student parking lot was an arsenal.
We used to bring our hunting rifles, and shotguns to school, and if we didn't want to keep them in our cars gave them to the Principal to keep in his office until we went hunting after school. This was in the 70's.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:00 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You don't buy it because you would rather buy a gun. Your mind accepts only what you want for yourself.
It took at least 6 years for my hand to hand skills to start taking the form that people didn't want to mess with me, when my father said he would have to come after me with a base ball bat, but another 8 years after that for them to be at their audacity prowess. That is, I'm going to put the other in the hospital.

One's child is now an adult and is moving out on their own in the world. How are you going to protect them? Have you been conditioning them for years to fight? How are they going to convince a group of people coming their direction that what they have in mind is really a very bad idea?

Old 11-11-2018, 08:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What changed in 50 years?
I took my shotgun to school for "show & tell, when I was in 2nd grade, in Austin TX. Liberalville.
Well, a couple things changed in that time frame, the police state was not as bad as it is now, and govt in general, was less tyrannical back then.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:28 AM

The MEDIA has also changed in the last 50 years creating a CULTURE of FEAR in many Americans. Violent crime has trended way down in that time frame, yet the Media wants to make you think the world is ending so you watch their sensationalist LIES. Watch the parents line up at the bus stop protecting their kids from everything in the cars until the bus comes, or better yet just driving them to school. Is it too dangerous out there to let them stand outside for a few minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies