Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 03:16 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
What a crock of **** you posted.

The reason why we are allowed to own guns is not for "sporting interests".

So you can water the liberty trees with the blood of patriots or some such nonsense ?

Not that any management proposal is going to work but if guns really kept anyone safe then our 300 + million would make the US the safest place on earth, which it obviously isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 03:26 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
From my experiences a lot of the very zealous gun owners are not macho at all. They attempt to substitute a fundamental lack of masculinity by acquiring guns. As if that will compensate for their own perceived masculine shortcomings.

Being in San Jose, I know lots of guys in the MMA community, since there are some major MMA training facilities in the area. MMA guys are some of the most relaxed, laid-back and quietly confident people you will ever meet. They are sure footed in their perception of their own masculinity and thus find no desire to be aggressive, scared and paranoid. Its a sharp contrast to the gun community. So I don't think its a problem with masculinity with the gun community but a fundamental lack of it.
The mixed guys we hang with have very many gun enthusiasts in the building.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:

The reason why we are allowed to own guns is not for "sporting interests". And clearly none of those tough gun laws work.
Yet they think a few more "common sense" gun laws will. When the existing thousands have mostly failed.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:40 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
An unhealthy obsession, fetish, call it whatever you want.
What's unhealthy about exercising a civil liberty or partaking in a hobby that differs from yours?

Quote:
If you post gun nut talking points like the one highlighted more than a couple of times a week, that probably describes you.
Considering the source I'll take that as a compliment.

Quote:
True evil exists in society, and having a bunch of hyper macho types like some of the people I've exchanged with in this thread walking around armed will do nothing to change that. Instead, it will lead to more people getting hurt by said hyper macho fools.
What's macho about defending yourself as you see fit?

Quote:
I can easily rationalize how so many hyper macho types tie so much of their identities to their ability to own weapons, what I can't rationalize is why society continues to tolerate putting their fetishistic desires over the general well being of everyone else.
Because you suffer from emotional projection, conflation and false equivalency. You gobbled the crap straight from the sewer of Fienstein and company bought it hook line and sinker and can not differentiate between evil and someone who has a different hobby, sport, or interest than you. Why? Because like a immature and intellectually dishonest supercilious prick, focus on the implement.
Therefor. Your logic is if gun owmer, if NRA member if pro 2A then a murderous scumbag.

That's your issue to sort out and fix on your own time dboy

Old 11-15-2018, 03:55 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:

The reason why we are allowed to own guns is not for "sporting interests". And clearly none of those tough gun laws work.
I should have expected a post like this from you, since you post in a similar manner all over the California forums...

Old 11-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
There is no legitimate reason for civilians to own firearms designed for military purposes. There is no legitimate reason not to insist that all gun buyers pass a background check. There is no legitimate reason for putting the sporting interests of target shooters ahead of the right of the rest of us to not get shot.

California has some of the toughest gun laws in the country. They clearly don't go far enough - Los Angeles Times
Every single gun style ever invented is used by the military. Currently the military uses select fire weapons which most civilians have no access to.

If your worry is rate of fire

https://youtu.be/c2yd2IvG34w?t=75

Old 11-15-2018, 05:30 PM

2,309 posts, read 902,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
So you can water the liberty trees with the blood of patriots or some such nonsense ?

Not that any management proposal is going to work but if guns really kept anyone safe then our 300 + million would make the US the safest place on earth, which it obviously isn't.
It isn't the most dangerous country either.

Old 11-15-2018, 05:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Shall not be infringed.... Need we say more?

Old 11-15-2018, 06:54 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Every single gun style ever invented is used by the military. Currently the military uses select fire weapons which most civilians have no access to.
The article stated "designed FOR military use," not "used by the military."

Old 11-16-2018, 08:23 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
An unhealthy obsession, fetish, call it whatever you want.

If you post gun nut talking points like the one highlighted more than a couple of times a week, that probably describes you.

True evil exists in society, and having a bunch of hyper macho types like some of the people I've exchanged with in this thread walking around armed will do nothing to change that. Instead, it will lead to more people getting hurt by said hyper macho fools.

I can easily rationalize how so many hyper macho types tie so much of their identities to their ability to own weapons, what I can't rationalize is why society continues to tolerate putting their fetishistic desires over the general well being of everyone else.
A very interesting dynamic if you ask me. Car enthusiasts, tattoos, sports, guns, etc...

I'm not sure at what point any obsession becomes unhealthy, but I think we all know when we encounter someone who seems a little "off the deep end" with their obsession. I enjoy all these things to a point. I've been to more than a few car shows. I don't have a tattoo, but I think some are cool. I'm a sports fan, and I have used guns. Own one.

Then there are those who can hardly think about anything but cars. Talk cars, magazines about cars, forever under their cars or driving their cars. People covered from head-to-toe with tattoos. Sports nuts covered in sports garb, wearing sports face paint, and some of them too will actually fight over their favorite team.

Again, I'm not sure whether any obsession is necessarily "unhealthy," but sometimes there is the hint that someone's obsession is a "red flag." Something ain't exactly quite right, and although I know gun owners who are perfectly fine respectable people, they are not the sort that would post comments like some gun people post in these threads.

Right or wrong, I think some people become obsessed with their particular fancy because they imagine themselves as something bigger or more than they really are. You might say it's something of a need for them, and they really don't seem to see it in themselves or how they act. They feel special in a special sort of way, with the help of that car, or all their tattoos, covered in their team colors, or forever polishing, building, and going on about guns, as if perhaps one of the most singular important aspects of their lives.

Any of these sorts of obsessions tends to make me leery about what's going on between the ears, but then again I can't really fault someone for loving something to such an extent. "Whatever turns you on" as they say, but I'm pretty sure most of us not so inclined have to wonder about these people at some level, more or less.

Last edited by LearnMe; 11-16-2018 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies