Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you opposed to getting a flu shot?
Yes 94 38.06%
No 153 61.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:23 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,566,150 times

Advertisements

Over 40 percent of Americans say no to flu vaccinations

So, over 40% of Americans refuse to get a flu shot.

I am one of those 40%. Why? Who knows what is in that shot? Also, it appears that it is just a mildly educated wild guess about what the next flu strain might be and that they usually gets it wrong.

No doubt this is a big winner for pharmaceutical companies, just like erectile dysfunction pills, opiods for the masses and statins (supposedly for high cholesterol). But that does not inspire me at all.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 12-14-2018 at 03:33 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 03:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,977,899 times
i am also one of those 40% saying no to flu vaccines. i was forced to get one in 1976 in order to attend school. the problem is i got the flu after getting the vaccine. so never again.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:28 PM

20,944 posts, read 8,738,631 times
Measles is rampant here in Sarasota now due to lack of vax.

Glad to hear you "know" or "don't know" things that even George Washington accepted as fact (he immunized his troops for smallpox)...

You probably "feel it in your bones" that a Flu shot is bad.

Flu shots, BTW, are close to free and NOT a money-maker for Big Pharma. They were developed largely by private foundations that didn't want people to suffer and die (Rockefeller foundation, Johns Hopkins and others).

Look around....this mysterious polio-like disease killing children, flu killing many.

80,000 flu deaths last year.
"Last year, 80 percent of pediatric deaths occurred in children who were unvaccinated, according to the CDC."

I wouldn't brag about affecting the herd. Maybe you will pass on Flu to a kid or elder who then succumbs. Not smart.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:28 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,396,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am also one of those 40% saying no to flu vaccines. i was forced to get one in 1976 in order to attend school. the problem is i got the flu after getting the vaccine. so never again.
The flu vaccine is a dead vaccine, so you were already going to get the flu.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:30 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,787,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

I am one of those 40%. Why? Who knows what is in that shot? Also, it appears that it is just a mildly educated wild guess about what the next flu strain might be and that they usually gets it wrong.

No doubt this is a big winner for pharmaceutical companies, just like erectile dysfunction pills, opiods for the masses and statins (supposedly for high chloresteral). But that does not inspire me at all.

Good for you bud. But personally I prefer not getting sick

And just as importantly, when I get the flu shot, it helps protect people like my elderly parents and inlaws. People die of the flu every year... so if you're around people who are very old or young or have serious health problems, you should consider how the decision affects them.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Flu shots never claimed to stop 100% of the Flu. But they stop a LOT. Would you rather have 40,000 deaths a year or 100,000?

Think.

Most healthy people from 20 to 50 can withstand most strains of flu. But those with various weaknesses, children and seniors should do it.

Explain - if you can - why 80% of the children that died last year had not gotten the shot??

Old 12-14-2018, 03:31 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,396,844 times
Quote:

No doubt this is a big winner for pharmaceutical companies, just like erectile dysfunction pills, opiods for the masses and statins (supposedly for high chloresteral). But that does not inspire me at all.
Dead flu strains and a reagent to suspend them in.

That's what's in them.

Source: I used to work in big pharma, marketing flu vaccines.

I agree that you can skip them, but only if you wash your hands a lot and spend very little time around others. But, if you get the flu, especially if you are older or if you have a suppressed immune system, it's probably safer to get the shot than not.

Also, if you get the flu? Stay home and don't give it to other people.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Don't confuse anti-vaxers with the facts!

If we were in the middle ages they'd be telling us the Lord gave us the bubonic plaque.

Sad, really. Disinformation. It's one thing for people who never come in contact with others to make a decision for themselves, quite another for parents to send their kids to school to infect others.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:32 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,457,081 times
Quote:

mildly educated wild guess? Who knows whats in it? thats nonsense. Its a very calculated and educated estimate, and we know EXACTLY whats in it. And fun fact-even when they don't get the EXACT strain in it, having had the shot lessons the severity of most flus that you might get.

Quote:
Yeah, feel free to not take statins for cholesterol, and to not get flu shots. LOL. Maybe you will be one of the thousands who die from the flu this next year. as for profits? LOL. 2013 flu shots were a 3.1 billion dollar market...0.3% of sales for big pharma. Flu shots are insignificant.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,977,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post

back in 1976 they also used a live virus vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Flu shots never claimed to stop 100% of the Flu. But they stop a LOT. Would you rather have 40,000 deaths a year or 100,000?

Think.

Most healthy people from 20 to 50 can withstand most strains of flu. But those with various weaknesses, children and seniors should do it.

Explain - if you can - why 80% of the children that died last year had not gotten the shot??

point of fact, before i got the flu shot i never got the flu. and ever since i got the flu, i have refused vaccines, and never again got the flu. so you tell me, is ti just coincidence? i dont think so my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies