Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you opposed to getting a flu shot?
Yes 94 38.06%
No 153 61.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,815,216 times

Advertisements

I have had no flu shot in probably 30 yrs give or take. No flu and no colds.

I know the ingredients and don't want to pump them into my body.

I use my own protection to stave off flu etc. I keep a supply of Oscilloccium on hand just in case I feel the flu wants to come in, hit the Oscillo and does it every time.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:19 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,957,181 times
To post #20:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i am also one of those 40% saying no to flu vaccines. i was forced to get one in 1976 in order to attend school. the problem is i got the flu after getting the vaccine. so never again.
I would believe you got the flu after the vaccine if you had classic flu symptoms, that is, abrupt onset, fever, chills, severe achiness, severe fatigue, severe cough. I would not believe you got the flu after your vaccine if you had symptoms of a bad cold, e.g. gradual onset, heavy sneezing/stuffy nose, and the like. Here is a comparison chart. I would also not believe you got the flu after the vaccine if you had a bout of vomiting/diarrhea. If you really had the flu, a big if, you probably got a strain that wasn't included in the vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Dead flu strains and a reagent to suspend them in.

That's what's in them.

Source: I used to work in big pharma, marketing flu vaccines.

I agree that you can skip them, but only if you wash your hands a lot and spend very little time around others. But, if you get the flu, especially if you are older or if you have a suppressed immune system, it's probably safer to get the shot than not.

Also, if you get the flu? Stay home and don't give it to other people.
I agree with all but the bold. Flu is basically spread by the airborne route. You have to quit breathing to avoid it. Washing one's hands is SOP, but you can wash them until they bleed and still get the flu just from breathing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
back in 1976 they also used a live virus vaccine.

point of fact, before i got the flu shot i never got the flu. and ever since i got the flu, i have refused vaccines, and never again got the flu. so you tell me, is ti just coincidence? i dont think so my friend.
No, the vaccine was not live in 1976.

Your chances of getting the flu every year vary from about 1 in 5 to 1 in 20. You've been lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Same here.

I'm not anti-vax, just don't see the point given it's proven to not be very effective.
The big reason the flu season was so bad last year was failure to vaccinate. So what if it's just 40% effective? That means 4 out of 10 are protected. The more protected, the less ability for the flu to spread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The article is not so hot either.

Some think the side effects are worse than the flu itself, but that's just a myth. Usually the only side effect is a sore arm.

*Usually*. Does that mean for some the side effects might be worse? If so then it is not a myth.
Usually on the order of many magnitudes. Anaphylaxis is about 1 in 1 million doses and rarely requires even hospitalization. Guillain-Barre is so uncommon that it's not clear if it even is a side effect of the shot. There is a certain baseline level of GBS. You are far more likely to get GBS from flu disease.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The point your missing is that the flu shot is not something that fits everyone. That’s you not those of us who don’t get it and don’t get sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I'm not opposed to it, but I haven't got one in about 15 years, and I've never had the flu. Why mess with what ain't broke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
I'm a healthy adult. I have no fear of the flu, and if I did get the flu, I would be fine in a few days. Flu hysteria is nothing more than Big Pharma scaring people into creating massive profits.
See the stories in the post above. I really do get tickled at people who think they have some sort of "cast-iron" immune system WRT flu and they'll NEVER get it. And Mason, young (or middle aged) healthy adults do get the flu and die from it. Do you think 180 pediatric deaths and 80,000 adults deaths is "flu hysteria".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Strictly anecdotal of course, but everyone I know who gets a flu shot always gets the flu. Some say they think it's not as bad as it could be but that could be wishful thinking.

I know how to prevent flu and I never get it. Don't get colds either. Those two maladies are preventable
That cannot possibly be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
I’m not anti-vax, but I just don’t see the point of getting the flu shot. What are the chances that the flu shot will actually be effective against the current flu strain on any given year? Plus, I rarely get sick because I wash my hands frequently. I just am not very worried about getting the flu considering I’ve maybe had it once in my whole life.
The chances are pretty good in a given year. We are lucky that our season pretty much follows what happens in Australia in their winter. This past winter (our summer) they had a relatively mild season. Some years, yes, it's a bust and that's what keeps threads like this going. Flu is mainly spread by breathing, not touching.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,460,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OK, I've read no further than here right now.

If you want to know the ingredients in flu vaccine you can Google it instead of saying "who knows?"
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321207.php

For a description of the ingredients, see this from the FDA: https://www.fda.gov/biologicsbloodva.../ucm187810.htm

In fact, pretty much everything you might want to know about flu vaccines can be found via Google.

How Influenza (Flu) Vaccines Are Made
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vacc...ccine-made.htm

"Mildy educated wild guess", LOL! Is this what you call a "(m)ildly educated wild guess"? https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-selection.htm

Even last year, bad as it was, the viruses in the flu vaccine were the ones that were circulating. Part of the problem was that H3N2 flu is one of the more severe strains, it's hard to make a good vaccine for it; yet when all was said and done, it wasn't as much vaccine failure as failure to vaccinate!
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...h-vaccinations

There is no grand conspiracy.
I must say that the list of ingredients you shared freaked me out a bit. What about kids getting tons of vaccines? Is all that mercury, formaldehyde, and aluminum in every vaccine?

And I also can't imagine them keeping bacteria out of all of those millions of flu vax. Do any ever get contaminated?

I had no idea antibiotics were in there either. I guess they need it to prevent spreading bacteria but something to consider, especially if you are allergic.

I felt better about getting the vaccine before you listed all that stuff. lol But good to know I guess.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I must say that the list of ingredients you shared freaked me out a bit. What about kids getting tons of vaccines? Is all that mercury, formaldehyde, and aluminum in every vaccine?

And I also can't imagine them keeping bacteria out of all of those millions of flu vax. Do any ever get contaminated?

I had no idea antibiotics were in there either. I guess they need it to prevent spreading bacteria but something to consider, especially if you are allergic.

I felt better about getting the vaccine before you listed all that stuff. lol But good to know I guess.
What ingredients are you afraid of? There is no "mercury" (actually a mercury compound) in childhood vaccinations, nor is there any in 80% of the injectable flu vaccine in the US this winter. Nor is there formaldehyde and/or aluminum in every vaccine. There is more formaldehyde in an apple or pear than in a dose of vaccine; more aluminum in breast milk or formula than in vaccine. Properly handled and stored, vaccines seldom get contaminated. In fact, in 45 years of nursing, I never heard of it happening.

The amount of antibiotic, again, is very small, and usually insufficient to cause a reaction even in an allergic person.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:56 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,460,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
What ingredients are you afraid of? There is no "mercury" (actually a mercury compound) in childhood vaccinations, nor is there any in 80% of the injectable flu vaccine in the US this winter. Nor is there formaldehyde and/or aluminum in every vaccine. There is more formaldehyde in an apple or pear than in a dose of vaccine; more aluminum in breast milk or formula than in vaccine. Properly handled and stored, vaccines seldom get contaminated. In fact, in 45 years of nursing, I never heard of it happening.

The amount of antibiotic, again, is very small, and usually insufficient to cause a reaction even in an allergic person.
Ethylmercury, Thimerosal. They say it's broken down quickly and is "less" likely to cause harm. Less likely doesn't mean "will not" cause harm. Is thimerosal in all childhood vaccines if they are like most now and have multi-dose vials? Or just the flu vaccine? I know kids get several of those in a visit.

Have the kids been tested? Do they keep tabs on this?

Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,768,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Vaccines work. Read up on smallpox of you do not believe it.
This is not smallpox, nowhere close. I got the vax for smallpox when I went to kindergarten. I even got it again when I vacationed in Europe, when it wasn't even required.

Probably I had the flu as a kid.

After I turned 65, I got the flu shot off and on. Never got the flu. Ten years later, I'm getting the super duper flu shot for seniors. I think it's a good thing to get it when your older or at any age if you have a weak immune system.

Some people who work in hospitals refuse to get them. They have their reasons.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Ethylmercury, Thimerosal. They say it's broken down quickly and is "less" likely to cause harm. Less likely doesn't mean "will not" cause harm. Is thimerosal in all childhood vaccines if they are like most now and have multi-dose vials? Or just the flu vaccine? I know kids get several of those in a visit.
Did you not read what I posted? There is no thimerosal in childhood vaccines, and to expand, there has not been since 2001.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
This is not smallpox, nowhere close. I got the vax for smallpox when I went to kindergarten. I even got it again when I vacationed in Europe, when it wasn't even required.

Probably I had the flu as a kid.

After I turned 65, I got the flu shot off and on. Never got the flu. Ten years later, I'm getting the super duper flu shot for seniors. I think it's a good thing to get it when your older or at any age if you have a weak immune system.

Some people who work in hospitals refuse to get them. They have their reasons.
Yes, the reason is they're foolish. The only good reason for not getting a flu shot, particularly if you are a health care worker, is a medical exemption, e.g. allergy to vaccine or vaccine component, previous severe reaction. Interestingly, the rate of flu vaccination among health care workers increases with educational level.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:07 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,815,216 times
I've wondered how many of those so pro pharma and vaccine get some kind of pay checks from the industry. Can't help but think about that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies