Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you opposed to getting a flu shot?
Yes 94 38.06%
No 153 61.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:07 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,462,260 times

Advertisements

I search for effects of Thimerosal and find stuff like this https://www.webmd.com/children/news/...mage-in-mice#1
and it makes me wonder if maybe more testing needs to be done. I don't have children, but if I do I would hope they would do all they can do to make sure there is no risk to getting all these vaccines. I can see how it could concern people.

I think I'll ask for the Thimerosal-free version from now on. Glad that's a choice.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Did you not read what I posted? There is no thimerosal in childhood vaccines, and to expand, there has not been since 2001.
Can you give me a link? I'm not seeing that. Multi-dose vials still say they have it. Must be old news on the old google.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:12 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,946,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I had the flu really bad around 1968 and hadn't had a shot. I was 19 and literally fell on my face when I tried to get out of bed. I happily get the shot every year and haven't had the flu in those years.

i am happy it is working out for you. you have to do what you feel is right for you. in the end we are all different, and respond to things differently. what works for one person doesnt work for another.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, the reason is they're foolish. The only good reason for not getting a flu shot, particularly if you are a health care worker, is a medical exemption, e.g. allergy to vaccine or vaccine component, previous severe reaction. Interestingly, the rate of flu vaccination among health care workers increases with educational level.
What's the difference between your education level as a nurse and one who doesn't get the flu shot? Just curious due to your rude comment. I'm wondering what makes you more of an elite nurse? Are you also a Democrat? LMAO Maybe the nurse who refused is a deplorable nurse?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,047,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I've wondered how many of those so pro pharma and vaccine get some kind of pay checks from the industry. Can't help but think about that one.
Let's get the thread closed shall we, by accusing people of being pharma shills? Haven't we had enough of this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I search for effects of Thimerosal and find stuff like this https://www.webmd.com/children/news/...mage-in-mice#1
and it makes me wonder if maybe more testing needs to be done. I don't have children, but if I do I would hope they would do all they can do to make sure there is no risk to getting all these vaccines. I can see how it could concern people.

I think I'll ask for the Thimerosal-free version from now on. Glad that's a choice.
More testing? Thimerosal has been around in vaccines since the 1930s. I think you're playing me. Here are some links. The second link has numerous links contained within. There are many more articles available per Google.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/co...sal/index.html
Talking about Vaccines: Thimerosal

Old 12-14-2018, 09:19 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,505,266 times
My husband gets both flu and pneumonia. I get neither as I think in my life I have had one or the other 3 times. However, we both plan on getting the new 2 part shingles vaccines after a friend had the painful experience of having the interior type. It will cost us over $300 for both of us for the shots but will be worth it. Our friend said it was the sickest he has ever been.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:29 PM

14,403 posts, read 11,837,219 times
I'm not anti-vax at all; my kids are fully vaxed and I plan to get the shingles vaccine in a year or two when i am old enough. The one exception is that none of us has ever gotten the flu shot because it is a hassle (you have to get one every year) and doesn't seem very effective anyway. Maybe flu is less rampant in my area than others? We've never had it, and I rarely hear of any nearby friend or acquaintance with the flu.

My next-door neighbor has been a pediatric nurse for 30 years. She told me that she never gets the flu shot and it does cause some issues at work (she is required to wear a mask during flu season, etc.). Some time I have to ask her specifically why she is against flu shots, as I'm sure she has good reasons and she has certainly seen it all in her years as a nurse.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:29 PM

2,362 posts, read 782,432 times
I never been vaccinated, when my children were younger, I refused to get them vaccinated for the flu. Now they can make up their own minds.

I also never got the flu. When I get sick it's just mild - runny nose, sore throat. Doesn't stop me from moving. Once, I got really sick - body aches, fever, etc. I said to myself "this is the flu everyone talks about" so I went in and they tested me. It wasn't the flu, but they had no idea what it was.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:54 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,047,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm not anti-vax at all; my kids are fully vaxed and I plan to get the shingles vaccine in a year or two when i am old enough. The one exception is that none of us has ever gotten the flu shot because it is a hassle (you have to get one every year) and doesn't seem very effective anyway. Maybe flu is less rampant in my area than others? We've never had it, and I rarely hear of any nearby friend or acquaintance with the flu.

My next-door neighbor has been a pediatric nurse for 30 years. She told me that she never gets the flu shot and it does cause some issues at work (she is required to wear a mask during flu season, etc.). Some time I have to ask her specifically why she is against flu shots, as I'm sure she has good reasons and she has certainly seen it all in her years as a nurse.
I'd bet the farm she just gives you some talk about "toxins", "mercury" (as discussed, 80% of the injectable flu supply in the US is thimerosal-free, and all of the nasal spray is), "aluminum" (not in any flu vaccine licensed in the US), stuff like that. She should not be allowed to forgo the shot unless she really has a medical reason. Hospitalized kids are sick, very sick. Kids aren't hospitalized for "tests" and the like. A lot of them have suppressed immune systems and flu could kill them, even if they personally have had a shot.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:00 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,491,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Not opposed to it, I just never get one.

If I was in some situation that it was required, like working in a hospital, I would have no issue complying and getting one.
It's not required as a hospital employee. They allow declination forms, and the stipulation that employees wear a face mask for the duration of flu season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies