Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you opposed to getting a flu shot?
Yes 94 38.06%
No 153 61.94%
Voters: 247. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 PM

3,457 posts, read 1,462,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf coast jon View Post
So there's this thing, call society. You participate in it. You should participate responsibly.

I'm so sad that the Internet has become a place for people to espouse out nonsense. Then again, Bill Maher is also a "flu shot denier".

If you actually care, read:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

Specifically:
Yes, there is a thing called society and it has no business making medical decisions for others. Some want it and get it, some don't. Pharma doesn't have a sparkling reputation, and vaccines carry risks like everything else, some get contaminated, or they aren't stored correctly, etc. It's a crap shoot and you should make the decision for yourself.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen...ffects.htm#flu

So far I've read of kids dying from the flu not vaccinated, vaccinated, and one poor lad that fell into a coma two days after the flu vaccine and died a month later from a swollen brain.

Life is a risk. I hate it when people try to guilt others into getting the flu vaccine or any other vaccine for that matter. Most people do what they believe is best for them, if it's not best for you then don't follow their lead.

O.P. - Sometimes I get it, sometimes I skip it. I don't get it every year. I don't have great faith in it anymore, from what I've heard I'm better off washing my hands. The flu is a hard one to get dialed in, I'm not one to give anything a try without some proof that it works like it's supposed to.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Based on the data and studies from millions of people - not getting the shot means higher health care costs for ALL of us. More days in the hospital, worse outcomes, longer sicknesses, etc.

Americans do this stuff and then complain about the high cost of medical care. Then they complain about our infant morality and life spans being #37 in the world.

I wonder if people ever stop to THINK...at all. And, if they do, do they think WHY?

Flu shots and things like that (Shingles vax, etc.) is the ultimate way to bring down health care costs and have better outcomes - less suffering.

I didn't build that. I wouldn't exist today if not for the Scientists in the 1910's and 1920's that figured this stuff out. I'm not going to forget what they did and "do as I please" due to "freedom".

If:
1. You are not old or young
2. You aren't weak (autoimmune or respiratory problems)
3. If you are not pregnant
4. If you almost never come in contact with others

Then, fine....don't get it. But I suspect a lot of people who fit into those categories aren't getting it...and either endangering themselves or others.

I didn't get it when I was younger. It wasn't suggested. Now it is.

People who get the full fledged Flu often think they are dying (and many do)....it knocks you down so bad that it can take 7-8 weeks before all the weakness goes away.
You are clueless if you think that's why we have high medical costs or a rise in infant death. Just sayin. It doesn't help your argument, and it certainly might harm it.

I'll add, you might want to be cautious taking a suggestion. They also suggested all these people addicted to pain meds take those. And what doc doesn't throw a suggestion for Advil even though it's not such a great idea to do so cuz you could kill yourself. You have to be a bit more careful in a "for-profit" healthcare system.

Last edited by Tokinouta; 12-14-2018 at 07:57 PM..

Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,767,691 times
I'm a healthy adult. I have no fear of the flu, and if I did get the flu, I would be fine in a few days. Flu hysteria is nothing more than Big Pharma scaring people into creating massive profits.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 PM

8,404 posts, read 4,406,388 times
Vaccines work. Read up on smallpox of you do not believe it.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 PM

20,865 posts, read 8,686,574 times
Strictly anecdotal of course, but everyone I know who gets a flu shot always gets the flu. Some say they think it's not as bad as it could be but that could be wishful thinking.

I know how to prevent flu and I never get it. Don't get colds either. Those two maladies are preventable

Old 12-14-2018, 07:42 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,910,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Based on the data and studies from millions of people - not getting the shot means higher health care costs for ALL of us. More days in the hospital, worse outcomes, longer sicknesses, etc.

Americans do this stuff and then complain about the high cost of medical care. Then they complain about our infant morality and life spans being #37 in the world.

I wonder if people ever stop to THINK...at all. And, if they do, do they think WHY?

Flu shots and things like that (Shingles vax, etc.) is the ultimate way to bring down health care costs and have better outcomes - less suffering.

I didn't build that. I wouldn't exist today if not for the Scientists in the 1910's and 1920's that figured this stuff out. I'm not going to forget what they did and "do as I please" due to "freedom".

If:
1. You are not old or young
2. You aren't weak (autoimmune or respiratory problems)
3. If you are not pregnant
4. If you almost never come in contact with others

Then, fine....don't get it. But I suspect a lot of people who fit into those categories aren't getting it...and either endangering themselves or others.

I didn't get it when I was younger. It wasn't suggested. Now it is.

People who get the full fledged Flu often think they are dying (and many do)....it knocks you down so bad that it can take 7-8 weeks before all the weakness goes away.
You aren't wrong and you are absolutely right about the value of science and vaccines.
I disagree that not doing vaccines is a major cause of increases in healthcare costs.
Greater influences such as frivolous lawsuits and very high malpractice insurance premiums have a greater impact. Add to this our very high cost of higher education. Then finally we allow our pharmaceutical companies to hide behind the law and rape us on the cost of medicine.

And Thank You for reminding me about the Shingles Vaccine..... I need to get mine.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Strictly anecdotal of course, but everyone I know who gets a flu shot always gets the flu. Some say they think it's not as bad as it could be but that could be wishful thinking.

I know how to prevent flu and I never get it. Don't get colds either. Those two maladies are preventable
Weird, my mom always got her flu shot and always got the flu with my dad who didn't. Sometimes worse than him. Go figure. Sometimes it's only like 18% effective.

The sad thing is they fire good medical personnel for not getting the flu shot with those rates of lousy effectiveness. You'd think to be fired from a job the rates of effectiveness would have to be at least 90%. That's someone's livelihood.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:01 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,800,424 times
I get one every year.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,791,799 times
In China, there is a belief that it is good for a person to get flu once or twice a year.
If I had not been sick for a whole year, my mother started to feel something is wrong.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:04 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,071,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Over 40 percent of Americans say no to flu vaccinations

So, over 40% of Americans refuse to get a flu shot.

I am one of those 40%. Why? Who knows what is in that shot? Also, it appears that it is just a mildly educated wild guess about what the next flu strain might be and that they usually gets it wrong.

No doubt this is a big winner for pharmaceutical companies, just like erectile dysfunction pills, opiods for the masses and statins (supposedly for high cholesterol). But that does not inspire me at all.
OK, I've read no further than here right now.

If you want to know the ingredients in flu vaccine you can Google it instead of saying "who knows?"
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321207.php

For a description of the ingredients, see this from the FDA: https://www.fda.gov/biologicsbloodva.../ucm187810.htm

In fact, pretty much everything you might want to know about flu vaccines can be found via Google.

How Influenza (Flu) Vaccines Are Made
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vacc...ccine-made.htm

"Mildy educated wild guess", LOL! Is this what you call a "(m)ildly educated wild guess"? https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/season...-selection.htm

Even last year, bad as it was, the viruses in the flu vaccine were the ones that were circulating. Part of the problem was that H3N2 flu is one of the more severe strains, it's hard to make a good vaccine for it; yet when all was said and done, it wasn't as much vaccine failure as failure to vaccinate!
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...h-vaccinations

There is no grand conspiracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies