Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I have no Ins, but auto. No HOI or flood. I have saved enough to buy another house over the last 14 years. I live IN the highest cost area to insure a house on the gulf in FL. Back in 2010 it cost 4k a year to insure a house worth 20k near the gulf in my area.
I'm in a more northern east coast state. Oceanfront. I pay about $16,000/year to insure my house (Federal flood, wind, and homeowners insurance - 3 different policies). Why is it so expensive? High risk according to insurance actuarial models, even though my house has an elevation of 14 ft (on pilings) and has never flooded in the 35+ years it has been here. Fine. I pay it because the combined cost of insurance plus real estate tax is LOWER than that combined cost I was paying in IL on an equally valued property. Plus, I now have a much better view.

The point is, those with higher risks PAY more for insurance. That's how insurance works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 03:23 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Liability is still insurance. Actually the mandate is for the protection of others. It helps fund the system so those who can't afford coverage can get it.

People get so up in arms about the mandate when they are paying thousands in taxes out of their paychecks to go to all sorts of useless things. Helping somebody get insurance who can't afford it actually benefits society. People who can get preventive care can possibly keep them from getting some horribly critical illness that will cause insurance companies to raise their rates on everybody. We're all in this thing together, whether anybody likes it or not.

Again, you only have to buy car insurance if you drive a car on public roadways.

And the liability insurance protects others from the potential hazard that you are creating for them when you operate that vehicle on the same roads that they are.

That makes it voluntary.....not mandatory.

Mandating people buy health insurance simply because they exist is not the same thing.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
19k ouch! I pay $320 a year on prop taxes. My area took the biggest hit back 2008, homes that cost 800k on the water were worth under 150k in 2010 as no one would insure them.
Yep, over $19,000/year. In Illinois. No view except that of the neighbors' homes. I've posted my tax bill in other threads. I was charged taxes to fund eight different local/county public employee pension funds because the property was located in their taxing districts, which overlap. Anyone who has lived in IL already knows that there are multiple overlapping taxing districts.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Again, you only have to buy car insurance if you drive a car on public roadways.
Correct. My dragsters (yes, I drag race at NHRA tracks as a hobby) are not registered or insured, only titled. I certainly don't drive them on public roadways, and no sane auto insurer will cover them with any policy.

Quote:
And the liability insurance protects others from the potential hazard that you are creating for them when you operate that vehicle on the same roads that they are.

That makes it voluntary.....not mandatory.

Mandating people buy health insurance simply because they exist is not the same thing.
Exactly correct.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What twisted logic. Aside from the fact there is no evidence that ACA resulted in more preventative care resulting in less critical illness, if one wasn't in the insurance pool to get preventative care then they wouldn't be in the insurance to get critical care thus they would have zero effect on insurance rates.

I would say Obamacare has caused people to seek less preventative care than they used to.

I know I don't go to the doctor as much as I did when my costs were lower.

If you have to pay full price for every visit and test, you tend to really think about if it's really necessary before you go and get it done.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:45 PM

30,455 posts, read 21,298,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm in a more northern east coast state. Oceanfront. I pay about $16,000/year to insure my house (Federal flood, wind, and homeowners insurance - 3 different policies). Why is it so expensive? High risk according to insurance actuarial models, even though my house has an elevation of 14 ft (on pilings) and has never flooded in the 35+ years it has been here. Fine. I pay it because the combined cost of insurance plus real estate tax is LOWER than that combined cost I was paying in IL on an equally valued property. Plus, I now have a much better view.

The point is, those with higher risks PAY more for insurance. That's how insurance works.
Just go bare. Think what 16k a year will pay for over 15 years time. That would pay for any repair unless the whole house washed away. My house is worth nothing so i don't even worry. I can pay cash for another 50k house in my area.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I would say Obamacare has caused people to seek less preventative care than they used to.

I know I don't go to the doctor as much as I did when my costs were lower.

If you have to pay full price for every visit and test, you tend to really think about if it's really necessary before you go and get it done.
This is why i never go to Docs. I never even get a cold.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Correct. My dragsters (yes, I drag race at NHRA tracks as a hobby) are not registered or insured, only titled. I certainly don't drive them on public roadways, and no sane auto insurer will cover them with any policy.

Exactly correct.
I only have 10/20 and race my Vette to any comer on the street if i think it is safe.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:23 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
So let me get this right. Obamacare has massive premiums.

AND the future Trumpcare will have low premiums and cover more people?

So . . . . . where is the money coming from for Trumpcare ????????????
Why should the government be involved in health care at all?

Government interference 75 years ago is the primary reason we have this problem today.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Why should the government be involved in health care at all?

Government interference 75 years ago is the primary reason we have this problem today.
Anything they touch they ruin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies