Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 04:17 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
5% loss in transmission. Any other questions? I suppose I could ask how much gas is used moving gasoline around too.

For REAL fun...how much electricity does it take to refine 1 gallon of gas? Again another example of why this argument against electric vehicles is not complex at all.

For real. The vast majority wont care how efficient it is. People have gone 100 years not worried about the efficiency they get. First, the initial cost will turn most away. Not a selling point. The range is not there. The infrastructure is not there. They will coexist with gas powered vehicles for years to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 04:39 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A good car? Yeah right....
You can in this part of the country.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:52 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
For real. The vast majority wont care how efficient it is. People have gone 100 years not worried about the efficiency they get. First, the initial cost will turn most away. Not a selling point. The range is not there. The infrastructure is not there. They will coexist with gas powered vehicles for years to come.

The initial cost? Brand new is 33K, I can get a used one for 8K. And as they age they will get even cheaper. The range? Yeah the older ones, but most are hitting ranges that I just dont care to drive. More then 200 is more then I drive. And the newest ones coming soon have 500+ mile ranges. The infrastructure is there, the VAST majority of the "fillups" you will do in your garage.

They will coexist with gas cars, but they will replace them. Especially as the price comes down and more used ones show up.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:13 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
The infrastructure for electrics has to be expanded and take less time. Electrics aren’t practical for travel. Only short jaunts. They will get there though. Takes time.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
No, Governments on just about every level are putting in mandates for electric cars. The market (people's wants and needs), not government should be the ultimate decider.
The market would love it if they could pollute the air, water, and land with reckless abandon. And that's exactly what they did before we had environmental laws regulating pollution from manufacturers.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
The infrastructure for electrics has to be expanded and take less time. Electrics aren’t practical for travel. Only short jaunts. They will get there though. Takes time.

Short Jaunts? 310 miles for the model 3. They will be selling a short range version which is only 200 miles. And the new sports car from them is 620 miles. Even the new Nissan LEAFs range is 150 miles.

Tesla has the range to go anywhere in the US pretty much. My CIO at my old company went from southern California to wasshington with her Tesla....5 years ago. Its even easier today.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:24 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I don't know about you, but I don't consider 300 + miles a short jaunt.

If I were younger...

The all-wheel-drive vehicle has three electric motors (two in the back, one in the front) that push out a combined 670 horsepower and 612 pounds of torque. Audi says it'll do zero to 60 in less than two seconds.
The 95 kWh battery has a range of 310 miles and is ready for fast charging that allows it to be fully charged in 15 minutes. It also supports Audi Wireless Charging (AWC) via a pad on the floor of a garage. the battery pack is placed behind and driver for ideal weight distribution and a low center of gravity.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/24/...n-concept-car/

Old 12-20-2018, 05:24 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
What utter nonsense. This isnt a "complicated" discussion AT ALL. The power station that converted fuel into power is insanely efficient in comparison to what a gas engine is going to do on a production car. The average gas engine in a car runs at about 20% efficiency. 20%. A power plant averages 60% as you say. As the other poster pointed out, they're not even remotely in the same class.

Don't try and put words into my mouth. What I said was "at best", 60% is the high end with a combined cycle gas fired plant, these are relatively new and make up about half the capacity generated by natural gas. Most of them coming online with the last 10+years. As side note it's the higher efficiency of these plants that have played a huge role if not the biggest role in making gas competitive with coal. Similar tech is in development for coal.

The bulk of the plants may only be about 30% efficient, then you need to consider losses during transmission. On top of that you can also add in the inefficiencies of cycling plants up and down to accommodate solar and wind.

There is a laundry list of things you would need to consider before making this comparison. It IS a very complicated discussion and analysis.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:27 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
LOL. I used the other posters number of 60%-which to be fair some of the new plants DO get.

To reiterate, what I said was "at best". You need to read more carefully.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 825,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Emission standards are being relaxed. Trump won't alienate the Saudis. Gasoline is under two bucks a gallon. SUVs are replacing the sedan.

Are the richest of the rich trying to kill the electric car?

Not at all, considering it is only the wealthy who can afford them. We, middle class, subsidize their cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies