Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:55 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Why aren't Senate Democrats and Senate Republicans able to negotiate a bill to put onto Trump's desk?
Because the only one who wants a wall is Trump, so he will veto whatever they come up with. The GOP refused to fund a wall even before the Democrats took control of the House last week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 09:00 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Default Miami Airport to Close Terminal Due to Shutdown

https://www.yahoo.com/news/miami-air...134228253.html

You can't ask them to work forever without pay.

"Miami International Airport is closing a terminal this weekend because security screeners have been calling in sick at twice the airport's normal rate as the federal government shutdown stretches toward a fourth week.

Chin said Terminal G will close at 1 p.m. Saturday, reopen for flights Sunday morning and close again at 1 p.m. that day. The terminal serves United Airlines along with smaller carriers. Its closure means restaurants and shops that depend on departing flights also will close."

Old 01-11-2019, 09:11 AM

15,154 posts, read 11,626,569 times
Chuck and Nancy dont care--if they did, they would sign the dam bill to reopen the govt that they care nothing about

Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
This is just the beginning, wait until Air traffic controllers start calling in sick in large numbers, The number of flights allowed severely restricted. Then it becomes a question of who gets to fly, airline passengers? An overnight shipping company? Private planes? Military traffic? 600,000 people work in the United States Airline industry, if there are no flights, they don't work, not to mention the thousands of people that work the in the stores and shops at every airport. Then there's all the hotels, resorts, restaurants affected cause there are a lot fewer tourists, especially on islands were air travel is how most people get t them. There are some that say, bah, who cares about Federal workers, who needs them. The ripple affect from the shutdown of one divisions of the department of transportation has a huge economic impact on a lot of other industries people just don't consider. I'm sure as the shutdown continues, people we begin to realize all the jobs government employees take do that affect our daily lives a lot more than they realize.

Last edited by TechGromit; 01-11-2019 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Reason #168895346790335643916 to get the govt out of it all.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:17 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Apparently, you don't know about government jobs. Those who actually will quit their government job because of the furlough, are biting off their noses to spite their faces.

People want government jobs because the benefits packages are far better than in the private sector. For those who make it into the SES ranks, the benefits are truly amazing.

Besides, once the furlough is over, they will get their back pay. My husband was working for the government during the shutdown in the 90s. We got by just fine. And, no, we aren't "rich" people. People who work for the government should have the sense to put some money aside to get them through such times. Plus, they need to live below their means. My husband hears those workers complain during this recent shutdown and he has no sympathy.
I'm quite familiar with government jobs since I had one. However, one can only go so long without a paycheck before they get desperate and have to find another job. Regardless of whether or not people should "have sense" to have cash reserves, sometimes it's not that easy. What if there is suddenly a health crisis? Or some other unexpected expense that drains their reserves? It's so easy for people to paint with a broad brush when they have no idea what other people's circumstances are. Bully for you and your husband for being able to get by.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:22 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
I still am rather confused: is there a crises, or not?

After all, back on December 20th, Mr. Trump tweeted:

"With so much talk about the Wall, people are losing sight of the great job being done on our Southern Border by Border Patrol, ICE and our great Military. Remember the Caravans? Well, they didn’t get through and none are forming or on their way. Border is tight. Fake News silent!"

So, the border was 'tight' less than a month ago. What changed since that time?

Ah, Limbaugh, Hannity and Fox news.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Reason #168895346790335643916 to get the govt out of it all.
So you don't support government security? Isn't that what this entire nonsense is about? If you don't support gov. security at domestic airports, what about international? Or are you suggesting private security along the southern border? If so, why is Trump asking for taxpayer money?

Old 01-11-2019, 09:43 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So you don't support government security? Isn't that what this entire nonsense is about? If you don't support gov. security at domestic airports, what about international? Or are you suggesting private security along the southern border? If so, why is Trump asking for taxpayer money?
I dont. I support private borders with ownership deciding its own best methods of security, and no welfare schemes. Its none of my business if someone comes here and finds employment.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:45 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Trump could care less about federal employees. It is always all about him and his needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies