Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:31 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Apples to fat, lard-assed oranges.

The two aren’t remotely the same.

Agreed.

You could never get a fake bomb into a coal mine (someone would notice!).

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...ed-items-minn/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 03:55 AM

4,910 posts, read 2,060,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Actually I own a company that hires in some cases some self important republicans. Bit that is another story.

Now you stated it seems as fact that federal employees need a doctor notes after three days. got a link?
No link, but that is a fact, but it's up to your manager if they want you to produce a doctor's note after three days of calling out sick. This was to prevent people from abusing sick leave. A year before I retired, I came down with a bad case of the flu and was out for over a week. I did see a doctor and had a note, but when I told my boss I was emailing him a copy, he said don't worry about it since I know you're really sick and you rarely call out sick... Plus, I had over seven months of sick leave saved up at that point.

I'm now a retired federal employee that was employed in a critical law enforcement field and I was always required to report to work through the numerious government shutdowns in the past. With that said, you always have a choice... To report to work and be paid later OR don't show up to work and seek out another career in the private sector... Again, you always have a choice.

As for the politics of the shutdown, I equally blame both sides for this leadership failure since both sides are digging in for a fight... At the cost to the average low/mid grade federal employees.

I believe that this government shutdown will last for a long time and most likely end up being the longest one in our history. With that said, I would bet that the government with end up passing a funding bill within two weeks to at leadt fund all federal employees working it the numerous critical public public safety fields.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:03 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, by "them" I mean those who called in sick in this story.

And yes, I would show up and do my job for free if my job involved something I feel is of importance, like medical, security, safety, etc. I sure as hell would not pull some "call in sick" stunt like this.
You bet brother.

I love my roofing job. I'd be up there on the roof whether I got paid or not. Rain, snow, hurricane, or no pay. I'd be right up there on the roof nailing down those 3 tab roofing shingles.

Amen Brother.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:18 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
"Job growth surges by 312,000 in December " …. oh …. wait …. Trump shuts down government, putting 800,000 out of work.

"Job growth falls by 488,000 in December" …. there ya go.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:28 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,291,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They are probably out interviewing for other jobs.
My thoughts, too. They’re out trying to find a way to get income.

I fly today. God bless all those people working without pay to keep us safe.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:56 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
Personally, I think TSA is a royal PITA, and a waste of time and resources.

I fly around 80,000 miles a year, give or take 10,000 miles. I go through airports and security checks so much, that often times I play with the security by leaving my laptop inside my carry on luggage. Even though this laptop will be blatantly visible on any X-ray vision, half the time they don't even catch it. The other half they do and ask me to remove it.

50% is basically bad enough with something as obvious and visible as a laptop. If you think TSA is buying you any security at the airport, you should think again.

Let's hope the Terrorists don't read this forum.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:56 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Leave View Post
TSA Officials say that 100s are calling in sick but it has no impact on airport security. If so, why are they working there if they can not show up for work and there is no impact on airport security?
Surely, the are not asking others to work overtime.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:58 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,666,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Surely, the are not asking others to work overtime.
Either that or lines are just longer. Making the statement that "there is no impact on airport security" doesn't mean there isn't an impact to travelers. Instead of ten lines you have eight lines because two agents are out. Airport security is not impacted. Travelers' patience is.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:02 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, conservatives say we don't need a TSA anyway, so... I guess terrorists everywhere can take note and get ready.
So you don't think each airline is able to provide their own security? LMAO How hard was that to figure out? hahahahahahahaha That only government can help? hahahahahahahaha
Our government is the reason we HAVE terrorists. THAT is another thing you haven't figured out.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by On Leave View Post
TSA Officials say that 100s are calling in sick but it has no impact on airport security. If so, why are they working there if they can not show up for work and there is no impact on airport security?
Because they didn't do squat in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies